SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-09-07, 03:04 PM   #1
stewie

Default Can you powder coat plastic ?

Hi, Was just wondering if you can powder coat plastic ? I know it involves an oven in the process but is it a mild heat to bake the powder or much higher in temp ?. And if you can do you get the same sort of finish you might expect from say ali or mild steel ?
Ta
Old 11-09-07, 03:20 PM   #2
Keith1983

Default Re: Can you powder coat plastic ?

No, no, no can't powder coat plastics as far as I'm aware it involves magnetic fields and the like so plastic doesn't do the job.
Old 11-09-07, 03:29 PM   #3
Grinch

What is powder coating?

Powder coating is by far the youngest of the surface finishing techniques in common use today. It was first used in Australia about 1967.
Powder coating is the technique of applying dry paint to a part. The final cured coating is the same as a 2-pack wet paint. In normal wet painting such as house paints, the solids are in suspension in a liquid carrier, which must evaporate before the solid paint coating is produced.
In powder coating, the powdered paint may be applied by either of two techniques.
  • The item is lowered into a fluidised bed of the powder, which may or may not be electrostatically charged, or
  • The powdered paint is electrostatically charged and sprayed onto the part.
The part is then placed in an oven and the powder particles melt and coalesce to form a continuous film.
There are two main types of powder available to the surface finisher:
  • Thermoplastic powders that will remelt when heated, and
  • Thermosetting powders that will not remelt upon reheating. During the curing process (in the oven) a chemical cross-linking reaction is triggered at the curing temperature and it is this chemical reaction which gives the powder coating many of its desirable properties.
Old 11-09-07, 03:32 PM   #4
stewie

Thanks guys, plan B it is then, off to halfords to get some aerosols
Old 11-09-07, 03:38 PM   #5
drag

Nice 1 stewie, you got the answer to a questions i was kinda going to ask, guess i'll have to try and spray my rims black as the front is sum what plastic. and the back is an odd kind of steel, so im not sure of it'll take the powercoat.
Old 11-09-07, 04:22 PM   #6
plowsie

Or you could just go and find the local chavs that do all the graffiti be summit a bit different ey?
Old 11-09-07, 05:28 PM   #7
toonyank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1983 View Post
No, no, no can't powder coat plastics as far as I'm aware it involves magnetic fields and the like so plastic doesn't do the job.
And high temperature
Old 11-09-07, 05:50 PM   #8
philipMac

I used to have a big container of powder coat, you would heat the metal thing up with a torch and then dunk it in this powder, and then pull it back out.

Let it cool down... and viola. Power coated.
Old 11-09-07, 09:03 PM   #9
monkey

Grinch I hope you copied and pasted that from somewhere?!

He he he heh e.

Old 11-09-07, 09:08 PM   #10
hovis

no, you cant