SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 20-11-07, 02:49 PM   #1
gettin2dizzy

Default The £4 Pint

Quote:
The average price of a pint of beer could hit £4 after poor weather forced up the price of hops.
Scottish & Newcastle today forecast "material price increases" next year. The brewer, which sells three of the top 10 beer brands in Europe including Kronenbourg and Foster's, is also reviewing its supply chain in a bid to cut costs.
Industry experts are now predicting rises of up to 60%. According to the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA), the average price of a pint of lager is £2.50, with bitter fans paying around £2.20. A 60% hike would take the average cost of lager to £4 and that could be even higher in some bars.
Old 20-11-07, 02:53 PM   #2
Ceri JC

Default Re: The £4 Pint

Good thing I tend to drink spirits rather than pints if I'm having more than 2-3 drinks.
Old 20-11-07, 03:08 PM   #3
timwilky
Mega Poster

I currently pay £2 - £2.15/pint for cask bitter depending on which guest is on. and £1.93 for the Tetley and Boddingtons muck in my local.

Go to see my brother in law and the Holts (Acquired taste) is about £1.80 - £1-90 depending on pub.

I wouldn't pay more than £2.50 city prices before I gave it up and sat at home with my home brew kit
Old 20-11-07, 03:11 PM   #4
jambo
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
I wouldn't pay more than £2.50 city prices before I gave it up and sat at home with my home brew kit
My dad was planning on buying me a home brew kit for Christmas. I'm planning on inviting people round and offering them a pint to see how polite / honest my beer supping friends really are
Old 20-11-07, 03:37 PM   #5
philbut

Beer is regularly £2.80+ round here. One pub i went into the other day charged £3.60 for a bloody larger! shalln't be going there again. It's already over 4 quid in clubs here.

Interesting that all this increased price oh hops also co-insides with the government threatening to raise the tax on drink...hmmmm, industry counter measure possible?
Old 20-11-07, 03:51 PM   #6
CB1ROCKET

Night club and bars are ripping £4 now! with that increase it surely well gonna be more like £7 for a pint!
Old 20-11-07, 03:56 PM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Good thing im teetotal then. More money to spend on petrol.

The silly thing is, that i bet theres more uproar over this than the rising petrol costs.
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-07, 04:00 PM   #8
CB1ROCKET

Goverment also mentioned they wanted to increase duty on alcohol as well, typical goverment more stealth tax!
Old 20-11-07, 04:02 PM   #9
gettin2dizzy

A lot of this increase is due to fuel increases and the ****ty crop this year though, not just government meddling
Old 20-11-07, 04:03 PM   #10
CB1ROCKET

do bear in mind that 80% of fuel is duty and tax!