SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-05-21, 10:23 PM   #2311
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynortheast View Post
I'll be interested to see how well it works John.

The thing that deters me from using a bluetooth/intercom thingy is the fact that I like to wear earplugs. I'm wondering about how much wind/road noise will leak past earphones.
That would be EXCELLENT for your tours. I really liked it when riding with my advanced instructor, it's great to be insulted mid corner and generally having an extra pair of eyes letting you know about hazards/road rage car drivers closing in on you. But also when I did a tour in Spain it was a bit chaotic with constantly losing people, depending on the range that would stop a day out going foul.

Also impressed with the bargain John found, I've always been tempted but never quite gone for one. I did buy a cheap in helmet bluetooth headset and mic and just used my phone to make calls on a Scotland trip and that worked suprisingly well but as soon as you lose signal it's gone.

Last edited by Dave20046; 18-05-21 at 10:25 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 09:07 PM   #2312
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I agree, but I use a splash of Redex pretty much every tank, not a stabiliser but a cleaner.
How much is a splash ? I was looking at Redex in Boyes today and I thought it said put a bottle full in tank when filling up - at £5 a bottle that makes it a dear fill up !
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-21, 10:04 PM   #2313
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
How much is a splash ? I was looking at Redex in Boyes today and I thought it said put a bottle full in tank when filling up - at £5 a bottle that makes it a dear fill up !
Every now and then Redex goes on offer and I usually stock up then. Last time I saw it in a supermarket 2 bottles for £2. I must admit I only use it when a vehicle's been laid dormant or sometimes as a servicing treat - I'm also proper yorkshire and do half a bottle to half a tank so I can use the rest next service
I also mix higher octane if I'm suspicious of the age of the fuel in the tank...if I'm really suspicious or it's an unknown I syphon it to avoid drawing crap through the bike.
Old 20-05-21, 06:32 AM   #2314
Seeker
Mega Poster

I inherited a 5ltr can of Redex from my Dad (New Formula! Treats 1000 gallons!!) and it says to add 5ml per gallon. I think it was of the age when it was changing from an upper cylinder lubricant to a fuel system cleaner. I have a small Redex dispenser so each bike gets about 4 shots after each fill up.
Does it help? No idea - it might be like the lion powder I bought - haven't seen any lions so it must be working.

As a teenager I used to work at a petrol station (back in the day when they filled your car for you - 4 gallons of 4star for £1.44 - I still remember that), we offered shots (of Redex equivalent) if the customer asked -1 or 2 p per shot.
Old 20-05-21, 08:03 AM   #2315
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
It is often on special at places like Wilko and The Range. When I say a splash I mean about 20ml, but after winter layup i will add about 200ml for the first fill up... when petrol is stagnant in the system it forms lacquer - which Redex dissolves very quickly. Well Redex is basically Kerosene with a few other bits added..

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-21, 08:07 AM   #2316
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

Redex is often £2.50 in Tesco and the dose recommended is for cars... so a big tank of fuel. I never use over quarter of a bottle in a bike and often less than that. Not every tank either. Depending on the bike I treat it to the occaisional tank of posh fuel if it likes it instead (some I've had don't).
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-21, 08:31 AM   #2317
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
Redex is often £2.50 in Tesco and the dose recommended is for cars... so a big tank of fuel. I never use over quarter of a bottle in a bike and often less than that. Not every tank either. Depending on the bike I treat it to the occaisional tank of posh fuel if it likes it instead (some I've had don't).

My carbied DRZ400 used to run worse on higher octane, ( high octane contains less energy than regular but its detonation point is raised by adding less combustible ingredients). Most modern bikes and cars have an ECU and knock sensors that are capable of moving the ignition timing when it detects knocking, that means it can use more advanced timing to get more energy out of higher octane fuels.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-21, 09:26 AM   #2318
admin
John T
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Ef View Post
I do this too. I tend to use at the start of the riding session when the bikes been laid up for a while.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Old 20-05-21, 10:08 AM   #2319
Bibio
Mega Poster

i got some honda fuel stabiliser. its around the same price as most but you only need 10ml per 3lt of fuel for long term (24mts) and 1ml per ltr for short term (12mth). the Sta-bil stuff is double the amount.

i would presume that you would adjust the amount with the new E10 fuel.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-21, 09:30 PM   #2320
svenrico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I inherited a 5ltr can of Redex from my Dad (New Formula! Treats 1000 gallons!!) and it says to add 5ml per gallon. I think it was of the age when it was changing from an upper cylinder lubricant to a fuel system cleaner. I have a small Redex dispenser so each bike gets about 4 shots after each fill up.
Does it help? No idea - it might be like the lion powder I bought - haven't seen any lions so it must be working.

As a teenager I used to work at a petrol station (back in the day when they filled your car for you - 4 gallons of 4star for £1.44 - I still remember that), we offered shots (of Redex equivalent) if the customer asked -1 or 2 p per shot.
I remember petrol at half a crown a gallon around 1967.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote