SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-05-07, 10:24 PM   #1
AssBeef

Default Tyre danger?

Hi all,

Is this well dodgy?

I put down the sov's for a new sv650 sport and went to pick it up the other day. When the dealer was wheeling it out, I noticed a 4 inch strip (3mm deep, 4mm wide) of rubber torn out of the middle of the contact area (in the direction of spin) of the rear tyre - starting at a tread.

I thought: 'hold on, this is well dodgy' and got the dealer to change the tyre (sucking of teeth - 'ooh this'll take at least 5 days...'). This is after the 16 year old "type expert" took a split second look at it and declared it fine as "the tyre will wear down to this level over time and you won't see it".

My understanding of tyres is that they are all laminated, and immediately thought that a big strip torn out could bubble and rupture along the exposed layers (dirt, damp getting in etc).

Overreaction, or are they well dodgy?

--
Ass
Old 01-05-07, 10:28 PM   #2
Baph

Default Re: Tyre danger?

Welcome to the mad house.

Since you're paying for a SV650 Sport. I would assume you were buying a new bike from a dealership.

That said, who cares if it's dodgy or not. The tyres get replaced. Simple. Also, 5 days for a dealer to put stock tyres on a bike. Walk away. No. Run. Take your money with you*.

Having said that, I reckon that yes, the tyre was damaged, especially if all the bike has had is a pre-delivery inspection & ride.

*This would be my reaction, please wait opinions from others before acting.
Old 01-05-07, 10:35 PM   #3
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Sounds like they might have locked the rear on the PDI 'test ride'? for any dealer to try to sell you a new bike with kind of damage to the tyre would set alarm bells ringing with me. I'd be off as well.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-07, 11:14 PM   #4
northwind
Mega Poster

Does it look like damage or a manufacturing flaw? If it's damage- tyre dragged across something sharp at some point in the factory- then tbh I wouldn't worry- they're quite right to say the tyre will wear down to that point over time. So that's worrying out of the way, but I'd still demand a new one since it's a new bike and should be perfect. 5 days is a total ****take, have you handed over cash?

If it looks like a manufacturing flaw, well, that's more troublesome- defective's defective, I wouldn't trust it at all if it'd come out of the mould wrong.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 11:40 AM   #5
AssBeef

Thanks for the welcome and all the tips guys.

Unfortunately, I have indeed already put down the cash. Rest assured, they are changing the tyre, and I will be picking it up today, never to return!

Glad to know that it was not necessarily dangerous though.

Looking forwards to fitting it's new Fuel exhaust that's been gathering dust in the garage!

All the best,

Beef
Old 02-05-07, 01:46 PM   #6
sv650nutter149

u got ne pics??? whats the name of the garage so we know never to go there??

ian
Old 03-05-07, 09:26 PM   #7
AssBeef

Sorry - No photo!

I picked the bike up today and have been bimbling about getting covered in flies all evening

The garage was TW Motorcycles in Kidlington, Oxfordshire. Based on these people it seems like I'm not the only one.. Anyways, steer clear in the future...

So, Fuel Exhaust is bought, 14T sprocket next!

--
Ass