SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-11-06, 07:57 AM   #1
utzelu

Default Newbie - SV650S vs. CBR600F vs. CBF600 comfort

Hi all,

I am a newbie on this forum and I have recently registered since I'm looking to change my bike this coming spring. Currently I have a cruiser (Yamaha XVS 400 Dragstar). However while it looks good and rides relatively well it has many shortcomings in the practical field.

I'm thinking to get one from the following three models: SV650S, CBR600F and CBF600. However I cannot test any of them, because here in Cyprus they are not popular, so the dealers don't stock them.

Basically my criterias are:

+ allrounder bike, good for commuting and weekend touring (but not a touring bike or enduro).
+ to carry two in relative comfort (for weekends).
+ not too heavy or high is the seat (I'm 5'7").
+ max. 600cc-650cc engine (prefered is 600cc as they are exempted from taxes).
+ not too powerfull or sporty, as I'm not interested in speeding. I think 70-80 HP would be enough for me (my current bike has 30 HP).
+ bike has to be popular, in order to find information and aftermarket parts easy. A dedicated forum for the model is a must.
+ to be fun to ride is a plus as I plan to keep it at least 5 years.
+ look good.

The SV650S ticks many of my criterias, but I'm not sure about the comfort aspect. How is the SV650S confort for two, over the longer distances?

I appreciate your feedback.
Old 14-11-06, 04:37 PM   #2
Ward8124

Having riden all of these bikes for thousands of miles on my commute from cambridge to London every day i can say that:

The SV is not bad for commuting although if you have a stock seat your nads and bum will hurt after a few hours on it however the fun factor is high and plus its the best looking of the three IMHO.

The 600F and CBF both have really nice comfy seats and Im still ridin the CBF hirebike and its a real hoot to play on pegs an knees down galore plus getting in and out of traffic is a doddle....on major draw back is the lack of fairing especially on my commute as theres no protection at all so hope your arms are strong cos hanging on for dear life at errrmmm naughty speeds takes it out of you!

The 600F is mix between the sv and cbf but it just isnt as sexy as the twins on the sv or looks wise so for me if your commute is reasonable and you like the head forward seating position id take the SV over the cbr600f. However if your commute is short and you do a lot of traffic dodging in London id take the CBF as its easier on the wrists plus a real hoot if you want a play on the weekend.
Old 14-11-06, 04:58 PM   #3
northwind
Mega Poster

Personally I'd take a faired Hornet over the CRF600- there's nothing wrong with the CBF but the Hornet's a great package. The CBR600F has an awful lot going for it as well, bit sportier of course but they're well made, pretty practical, and they handle well too. Very good street bikes.

Don't get me wrong, I love the SV, but on paper all 3 of those are "better" than it- bette rbuilt, more power, most people would say more practical and comfortable. I prefer the engine of the SV to any of the competition, which is why I chose it.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-06, 09:37 PM   #4
utzelu

Thanks guys for your feedback. However I think my initial question still remains unanswered.

Basically I'm interested to know about the comfort for two (rider and pillion), as most of my weekends ride will be together with my wife. I'll let aside the look aspect, as it is subjective.

And how easy is to fit a topcase on the SV?
Old 15-11-06, 09:59 PM   #5
Damoulianos Marios

I suspect you ought to take a look at some upright "big trailies" like the V-Strom 650. Very comfortable for both rider-pillion, and can be loaded as a mule.
Old 15-11-06, 10:06 PM   #6
glade

My girlfriend occasionally goes on the back of my SV, the furthest we've been in a day together is probably about 80 miles and she was fine. She loves going on the back.

However not having ridden any other bike, I couldn't compare.
glade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-06, 04:00 AM   #7
clm2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by utzelu
Basically I'm interested to know about the comfort for two (rider and pillion), as most of my weekends ride will be together with my wife. I'll let aside the look aspect, as it is subjective.
Hi, I'm also a new guy here. I just purchased an '06 SV650S and have only put a few hundred miles on it so far. But, over the past 20 years I've owned a lot of Honda bikes: several CBR600F "Hurricanes", F2's and F3's. (Had a habit of buying crashers and rehabilitating them to race in AMA/CCS and WERA here in the US.)

So far the SV had done alright. Fairly comfortable, solo or two-up. power is not as smooth as the CBR (but it's a twin, what did you expect.) The older CBR's are a little lower in seat height and you sit a bit more upright. The F2/F3 models have more seat room for the passenger. I'm 5'11", 200lb. The SV's riding position is pretty comfortable for me. The stepped rear seat makes it a little harder for the passenger to get on/off the bike. My daughter seems to manage it well enough..guess it's all relative.

One thing I do know about the CBR's motor...you have to try really hard to destroy it. (And then it can usually be put right and run some more) Don't have enough experience with the SV to make any comparison to it's overall reliability.
Old 17-11-06, 10:20 PM   #8
b1kerb0y

im a bit bias towards the sv (not ceen on hondas). ive got a sk6. i find it comfortable and great fun. also even tho mine restricted to 33bhp its still got enough power to get you out of trouble.