SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 20-06-12, 07:43 AM   #1
Joeskeppi

Default Standing on the pegs?

Is this a common thing to do? I often do it when I have sore legs or if I go over speed bumps.

Today one of my pegs gave way and ended up pointing downwards. Luckily I didn't come off! I pushed it back up but it looks a bit limp, probably the bolt through the middle that's bent.

Just a word of warning!
Old 20-06-12, 08:26 AM   #2
Spank86

Default Re: Standing on the pegs

I do it, it's more of a motorcrosser thing but I've seen a few road riders do it over lumpy roads and sometimes round corners.

It centralises your weight on the bike and lowers its centre of gravity.
Old 20-06-12, 08:39 AM   #3
missyburd

Default Re: Standing on the pegs?

There's a road round here that's mostly made of potholes but unfortunately its also convenient shortcut...I have to stand for most.of that. Otherwise I do it for the odd speed bump (usually go round them) or when I need to stretch. Don't like the sound of pegs giving way though
Old 20-06-12, 09:03 AM   #4
rictus01
Mega Poster

if your peg gave way, it's either been changed for a low spec'd bolt or previously suffered some heavy truma, no way that should happen in normal use, I'd be checking the other one as well and replacing both, I have seen a couple replaced with nice coloured ally bolts and one of those snapped clean off, function over form people.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-12, 09:14 AM   #5
-Ralph-

I used to stand on the pegs a lot on the SV, but that's because the seat was a plank and it was done to relieve a sore rssss.

I also get cramp in my hip sometimes, so I either have to stand and give one leg a shake to get rid of that, or I have to stop suddenly, get off and hop around like a mad man going ouch, ouch, ouch, much to the amusement of my ROSPA observer one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
if your peg gave way, it's either been changed for a low spec'd bolt or previously suffered some heavy truma, no way that should happen in normal use, I'd be checking the other one as well and replacing both, I have seen a couple replaced with nice coloured ally bolts and one of those snapped clean off, function over form people.
+1, that shouldn't happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
I do it, it's more of a motorcrosser thing but I've seen a few road riders do it over lumpy roads and sometimes round corners.

Lowers the centre of gravity of the bike, or the bike and rider? Please can you explain further? I'm intrigued.
Old 20-06-12, 09:15 AM   #6
Jayneflakes
Mega Poster

Since putting the dirt bars on, standing up on my pegs is very easy on my bike, however off road capability is still pretty limited!

It was great fun though going for a ride up the woods, but my suspension took a hammering!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Jayne you're a Pussy Magnet
My bar swap and custom suspension

Buy my latest novel and help fund my addiction to strippers and Lego.
Jayneflakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-12, 09:18 AM   #7
Joeskeppi

Hmm, it had a 0mph rest on that peg once. Maybe that did it.

I need to find a new bolt for it I guess. Looks easy enough to replace, one circlip!
Old 20-06-12, 09:21 AM   #8
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
So you are going to raise your body up above the tank (as opposed to being roughly level with it and expect that to LOWER the centre of gravity?

When you have finished changing that law of physics, any chance you could get to work on the whole speed of light barrier thing?

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-12, 09:55 AM   #9
-Ralph-

Oh come on SK! You've got no weight on the seat or bars and all of it on the pegs! That pushes the pegs down further, that pushes down on the frame, makes the really heavy bit called the engine lower to the ground. It's obvious isn't it?
Old 20-06-12, 10:03 AM   #10
Spank86

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ralph- View Post
Lowers the centre of gravity of the bike, or the bike and rider? Please can you explain further? I'm intrigued.
Actually, now I think of the physics of it, that could be wrong, but it certainly centralises weight.

In all honesty I'm not entirely sure what it does to the centre of gravity, it obviously raises that of the bike and the rider together but when standing the rider can move more independently of the bike which certainly makes handling and dealing with rough terrain easier.