SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-02-06, 04:44 PM   #1
Thaleshwar

Default Legal Number Plate

Hi,

I understand any motorbike registered after 2001 should have rear number plate and registration should be printed in 2 lines, my SV650S is February 2002 registered! but carries the single line number plate (approx 23cm) but with legal font, looks really nice..

I know it will fail the MOT as its legal requirement, but I can switch plates for MOT and revert back when done.

Keeping in mind everything is legal i.e. No, plate surface, font, character size "except" instead of being in 2 line its in single 1 line, What are the chances I will be stopped by police? are they too strict about single or double line registration? Is it a big offence?

Will appreciate some comments.

Thanks & Regards,
Old 08-02-06, 05:35 PM   #2
BillyC
Mega Poster

Single line just attracts attention IMO.

However, the 7x9 legal minimum is a bit of an eye sore!
Old 08-02-06, 05:59 PM   #3
Patch

A single line plate is actually more likely to get you pulled than a "smaller" than legal two line plate, even if the font is legal sized.

Dibble just hates it.

Invest in an 8 x 5 two line plate.
Old 08-02-06, 06:19 PM   #4
sv650nutter149

hey there,
i have spoken to the guys at work today and they have informed me that ALL one line number plates are illegal no matter what size it is. dunno y. its wierd... ne more info just ask
Old 08-02-06, 07:10 PM   #5
NedSVS

I would steer clear of any illegal number plate, especially if you like to go to popular bike meeting places where you are easy meat for the police. I was in Hawes (north Yorks) about 18 months ago when the R6 owner parked next to me was issued a ticket for a one line plate I take advantage of the fact that bikes registered prior to 1/9/01 can display a three line plate (with the plate turned 90deg to the normal orientation), allowing me to tuck my high level pipe in closer The regulations can be found at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regm...quirements.htm
NedSVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-06, 10:32 PM   #6
socommk23

i was pulled over for having a 7 by 6 numberplate and illigal font, given a pink slip for an mot to be done cos of this, took bike to shop and was then told the numberplate is not part of the mot!!!! so they stamped it without looking!!
Old 09-02-06, 09:18 AM   #7
Viney
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC

Mines causing a 20mph drag effect at top speed!! Must get round to De-Moting my bike this weekend
Viney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-06, 09:45 AM   #8
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv650nutter149
hey there,
i have spoken to the guys at work today and they have informed me that ALL one line number plates are illegal no matter what size it is. dunno y. its wierd... ne more info just ask
Well, except the ones on cars, buses, lorries & alike
Old 09-02-06, 09:46 AM   #9
Cloggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyC

Mines causing a 20mph drag effect at top speed!! Must get round to De-Moting my bike this weekend
What bike you got now Viney
Old 09-02-06, 10:12 AM   #10
jambo
Mega Poster

I tend to think illegal plates aren't worth it, but I am considering getting one printed up without the stupid "Carnell" logo on the bottom