SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 12-10-08, 03:02 PM   #1
DjacK

Default Speed Camera got me?

Hello all,

Just wondering if I will be receiving any points and a fine in the post after going past a parked Police Transit van in the middle of a road while doing 52mph in a 40 zone. The road was clear and the vans back was facing oncoming traffic with the little black window pointing up the road (so i was heading towards it)

I think im ok as there are no plates on the front of a bike but just wondering if they clock the back of the bike as well as you pass it or not?

Thanks for any replys.

Was a lovely day for a ride today went down to Parkgate and had an ice cream lots of bikes down there today!
Old 12-10-08, 03:17 PM   #2
rictus01
Mega Poster

Default Re: Speed Camera got me?

they do have at times a camera out the front as well for that very reason, but I have to ask if you knew it was a camera van, why speed past ?

Hope you don't, but it'll turn up in the next 14 days if it's going to.

Cheers Mark.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride!
rictus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-08, 04:06 PM   #3
G
Mega Poster

More often than not they are two man vans....then they have a guy sat in the front catching reg plates the camera cant pick up.

Sometimes like the ones at the staffordshire bike safe thing....they have a bubble camera mounted on the side of the van....tiny thing but catches bike plates.
Old 13-10-08, 01:25 PM   #4
muffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by G View Post
Sometimes like the ones at the staffordshire bike safe thing....they have a bubble camera mounted on the side of the van....tiny thing but catches bike plates.
They take speed cameras deliberately to a Bikesafe? I thought they were generally meant to be more relaxed on those days...?
Old 13-10-08, 06:43 PM   #5
Airwolf

are you sure it was speed checking?
some of those vans just check plates for tax, insurance etc.
the police are usually up the road from the van, to nab you.
Old 13-10-08, 10:02 PM   #6
DjacK

Thanks for replys all. To be honest I didnt think anything of it until I got close. It was white, just had a black window in back, and it looked empty, no one inside, but I could not be sure. I cant even remember if it had any camera marking on it etc as when I past it I was checking my speedo.