SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Photos Place your images here. There's also a "U" rating so please respect this.

Old 28-08-16, 09:28 PM   #1851
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Default Re: Vintage film cameras

PS Kodak didn't sell so will try again. Looked at the For Sale listings on ebay to check out the competition - sometimes timing is everything - only to find some cheeky **** in Manc has copied my ad wording wholesale, even the title! Not sure if you looked it up, but I make sure my ads are pretty well unique. I once sold a chrome skull gearknob which included a picture of it attached to a toilet. Entertainment is everywhere. Wish I hadn't deleted that listing actually.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-16, 09:44 PM   #1852
yokohama

Lol. I went to Ikea once, many years ago, following those footsteps around. Never again.
Interesting link on the flash. It's a pretty good visual of how different light points work.
I've been trying to read up on the converters but gave up. I'm not sure I'll ever bother with them so will probably get rid, although I might keep the wide angle one. I now have a huge pile of stuff to offload on ebay or wherever but I'm a bit of a hoarder so it's hard to let go but I need to get rid of stuff I'll never use.

And I've got an SV too. Hoping to get out tomorrow or Tuesday.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-16, 10:04 PM   #1853
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I'm on a super ebay beano at the moment. It started with selling our daughter's baby stuff, and I've kind of gone a bit nuts, but to be honest when they say there's £4k of useless crap in everyone's house, they're not far off. My top tip is do add international postage for things like this, it's not hard to do, there is a postage estimator:
http://postageestimator.ebay.co.uk/
just make sure you're covered for insurance for the right amount (ahem), but often it's not so expensive and the audience really opens up. It's free to do after all! There are so many lazy sellers it's nuts, the price of a clean up and a few good pictures with a little detail is hard to quantify but I've put 18 pairs of shoes on 30-day Buy It Nows and I have 2 left, and they were all for fair prices, I'm actually a bit surprised these days when something doesn't go!

Lighting - indeed.... I've experimented a bit with fill flash and need to do so more. For a sunny day with strong shadows, film can be tough, but with a few minutes' figuring out the settings the fill really works. You see a lot of really overdone pictures, especially American weddings, they've used flash outdoors and really just made the couple into super bright cardboard cutouts when all you need is to see some detail in the shadows i.e. reduce the contrast a bit. Sorry am rambling again, I looked up lighting as for any sort of visual art is has to be important. I took a few really good pics of my wife and daughter two years ago with my MX, really nice winter sun, and was so chuffed with them. Tried again earlier this year, same set-up for sun, position and background, total garbage, they just disappeared into the background and no detail. Part of it was underexposure and part was the lighting. So, I'd like to have a better go at it and try to get a feel of it.
Old 29-08-16, 08:41 AM   #1854
Kenzie

Got the shutter off. Do I go in from the front or back? There are three screws on the back. Focus ring doesn't have a stop so I inadvertently unscrewed the front.

Crud, undid a screw and now the escapement has come apart!!! Help!

Pretty sure I killed it now.

On the upside, I bought a Fuji XP20 camera which wouldn't power on. Turns out the tab on the power button is broken. Wonder if Fuji have an spares?

edit-fixed it. Cut down a 5mm piece of cotton bud tube and the waterproof seal slips inside and allows the power button to contact the tab on the board.

Last edited by Kenzie; 29-08-16 at 10:38 AM.
Kenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 12:21 PM   #1855
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Oh dear. You'd better send it over and start praying. I was lucky when that happen on the Konica that the bits didn't go too far, so try to secure whatever you can first.
Old 29-08-16, 01:30 PM   #1856
Kenzie

Got all the bits, but no clue how to put it all back together. Got loads of photos up to the point of explosion.
Old 29-08-16, 02:13 PM   #1857
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

Okay will see what I can do
Old 29-08-16, 06:41 PM   #1858
yokohama

I actually got out and took some pictures. Woke early so drove out up Swaledale and started walking up a valley I know where old lead mines and smelting plants used to be. I took the X700 with a half finished film and thought I'd try out the Minolta 35-70 with it. Well, I managed to finish the film and had taken the XD5 body with me so swopped the lens over and put a new film in that one. I think I must have got overexcited and a bit carried away because I managed to finish the second film off too, playing around.
Switching cameras did for me. After the X700 with the grip on the front, every time I held the gripless xd5, I pulled the self timer on when holding it and after pressing the shutter, had to wait a couple of seconds for the timer to run down.
And 27 kilometres has done for me .....
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-16, 08:24 PM   #1859
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I was also going to go out a take a few tonight but was too busy. The right camera just works, n'est ce pas? Am liking the Konica, it's very much like the Olympus S I have, seems to work nicely in your hand. Still plenty of film left in it though!
Old 30-08-16, 06:07 PM   #1860
Kenzie

Going to respool some 120 to 620 for my Argus 75. Anyone shoot today?