SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 04-10-07, 01:20 PM   #11
hovis

Default Re: The running thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graemepaterson View Post
My trainers are rubbish and not in good condition at all. My problem is there is so much choice in trainers......and the cost involved
see the m&m link

proper running shoes are a must
Old 04-10-07, 01:20 PM   #12
krhall

I'm thinking of trying either:

Mizuno Wave Nirvana 3 Reduced to £60 from £95 (Sweatshop)

or

Adidas Supernova Control 10 Reduced to £65 from £80 (Sweatshop)

Then using these for my mid-week shorter runs and keeping the Kayano's for my long weekend runs and any races...............

I'm going to She Runs He Runs in Bluewater (same company as Sweatshop) as they do video gait analysis so I can try them on then watch how they control my feet.

Good socks are important too.
Old 04-10-07, 01:25 PM   #13
Ed

In final stages of marathon preparation. This will be my fifth. Currently in taper mode so backing off the mileage - this weekend I will do 17 - 18 I guess. Race is on 28 October - the US Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. I used to be addicted to running. Seriously. I used to run 65 - 70 miles a week, sometimes more. Have to try very hard not to slip back...
Old 04-10-07, 01:26 PM   #14
sarah

Anyone had any experience with "Up and Running"? Hoping to get round to going to the one in Horsham at the weekend.
Old 04-10-07, 01:43 PM   #15
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah View Post
Anyone had any experience with "Up and Running"? Hoping to get round to going to the one in Horsham at the weekend.
Yes. The one here in Shrewsbury is very good. Not that cheap but not expensive either. You can buy running stuff on line/mail order but it's always such a hassle if you have to send it back.
Old 04-10-07, 01:57 PM   #16
neio79

for increased stamina on the flat try and run up some hills.

I say that cos around here there is not a really flat run to go on, one of the hills (not a slope) is 2 miles long!! there are a few shorete ones , 1 and 1.5 respectivly that are steep.

its lung busting but if you were to do a flat run you would notice the diference in lung capacity and leg fatigue!!

also builds up the leg mussles
Old 04-10-07, 04:59 PM   #17
thedonal

I find it rhelps if I really focus on the timing of my breathing- I start with 4 steps per in or out breath, then when this gets hard, 4 in then 3 out, then 3/3 etc. This also lets me know how knackered I am so I can spur myself on- if I can still do 3 in, 2 out, then I can keep going and I'm not that knackered (I do need a bit of, how you say, encouragement and this really helps)

Keep running when a hill levels out- it'll really help your recovery rate.

I've also found that a lot of running is in the mind- I get bogged down with landmarks if I keep the same route- ie automatically feel knackered when I get to certain stages, so I try and vary it. Also, if the body does the same thing each time, it finds the most efficient way of coping with it- so you reach a state but don't necessarily improve. Take your time to warm up, too- run slow to start and then get the pace up. Otherwise you won't last long...!

Hope this helps. I've had a couple'a weeks off running- I'm only up to 3 miles- doing it in around 30mins. I'd like to be running for 45 mins by the end of the run. I started at about 1.5 miles- did this 4 o 5 days a week for a fortnight, then started adding an extra road a week. Often, the last half mile is the most painful for me as I passed the far end of my road- the temptation to turn back is PHENOMENAL! However, had 2 weeks off, changed my route, same distance, hills later in the run and still shaved 30 secs off last Monday- this really reinforced the psychological aspect of it to me. Maybe eventually I'll develope real willpower!

Google Map has a handy distance measuring feature in My Maps that can help plan your route.

Last edited by thedonal; 04-10-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-10-07, 07:32 PM   #18
grh1904

I have done lots of running before but stopped in June this year for 2 reasons:-

I was going on holiday

I also started my insulin injections to control my diabetes.

I wanted to give myself a chance to get to grips with the insulin before I went out to do my usual 6-8 miler.

I would welcome a running thread/page on the site, especially as when I start again in the next week or two I MUST take with me medical warning tags and some form of glucose tablets, just incase.
Old 05-10-07, 07:16 AM   #19
krhall

http://www.realbuzz.com/flmroutes/ - This is excellent for planning a route I used to run by this, helps to vary the route without going to far and putting on too much extra mileage.

Now though I have a Garmin, which is an exceptional tool and a few extra metres aren't too much of an issue, as I have steadily built up from not being able to run a single mile without stopping in Dec/Jan, to my Sunday morning run being 17 miles without stopping.

If you had told me back then that I would've run a couple of half-marathons and be able to run 17 miles without stopping, I would've told you to stop taking the P**s.

So the very best advice a novice like me can give is:

Set yourself reasonable yet attainable target and don't pile on the mileage, even if you get to the end of you set distance and think to yourself "I feel great, I'll just go round the block again" DON'T.

Most of all if a lazy little git like me can do it anyone can.
Old 05-10-07, 07:21 AM   #20
krhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by grh1904 View Post
I MUST take with me medical warning tags and some form of glucose tablets, just incase.
I wear one of these on my long runs and although it took a while to get used to, it allows me to take water, my phone, some money, iPOD and has plenty of room left. I would imagine that it would suit your needs perfectly.

Also, I used to use the route planner above and leave the route I was going to do open so my wife knew where I was and also a rough time so if I wasn't back with 5-10 mins of when I said I would be then she would know there was a problem (or I'd gone for a pint!!!).

Now that I take the mobile on long runs that isn't an issue really.