SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-11, 08:22 PM   #1
chasa

Default advice on buying an sv650

I was wondering if you guys and gals could give me some advice.
i am relatively new to biking passed my test november last year. I bought an 97 xj 600 divvie from ebay and it has been a complete headache so decided not too spend any more money on it and buy another bike with lower mileage and less problems. I told this to a guy at work who said his friend has a sv650 in his garage that he wants to sell, the owner has left it in his friends garage for 5 years it is a 2001 model and has done 2000 miles it does run, he rides it to work now and then ,it has a long mot. Im going to see it in a week or so but after my first bike and its problems, im wondering after it being sitting mostly for 5 years weather there are any major problems i may encounter if i were to buy it oh yer he or the owner is asking for 1150 pounds is it worth it?

cheers in advance!
Old 11-03-11, 08:26 PM   #2
curvy custard

Default Re: advice on buying an sv650

not sure on what to look for really other then seized calipers, rusty bits,perished hoses, carbs full of gunk, nothing major thou. but 2000 miles for £1150. bargain imo.
Old 11-03-11, 09:17 PM   #3
chompy

with the miles it seems like a good price if the bikes in good nick, make sure it sounds ok and starts up well. check the brakes work after being there so long its not seized. hopefully the battery wont be dead, give the bike a good look over for evidence of the bike being dropped ect. thats all i can think of at this moment ill add more when and if i think of it
Old 11-03-11, 09:17 PM   #4
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Seeing I've done this

You maybe looking at

- Kaput battery all but guarnteed
- Knackered oil
- Residents in the air filter
- Seized brakes and possibly perished seals
- Risk of the fork seals and dust seals perished
- Minging fork oil
- Rust

Nothing that can't be cured for about a £100 notes DIY

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 09:40 PM   #5
Rob969

I'd be looking at atleast oil and filter change, new airfilter, probably change the brake fluid and check the calipers aren't seized and have a good look at the tyres if its only done 2000 miles its probably on the originals which could do with being changed. Battery could be iffy but all these things are fairly easy to sort and for the price and long as it runs well, has been well kept and the mileage is genuine its a bargain.