SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 06-10-12, 01:45 PM   #1
craig dow

Default Fork rebuild problem.

got forks off and striped replaced seal what was leakeing . put back together again , havent put the spring and spacer tube in yet , im trying to push the shinney iner tube fork down into the outer one , it doesnt move , is this right , will it not move untill i put oil in and spring and spacer tuube in , as it says to move this tube up and down to get the bubles out when you have put the oil in , but its not moveing up and down , have i done some thing wroung , help please
Old 06-10-12, 04:21 PM   #2
craig dow

Default Re: help please asap need bike back

still in need of help , when i took the damper rod bolt out the end of forks , that holds them together , they move fine , but when i do it up , to the damper rod that then stops them from moveing , sure im doing some thing wroung or not putting it back together right , i put the damper rod in with point faceing down , inside the inner tube , with springs on it , then tighten the rod bolt , then the inner tube will not move , up or down . what am i doing wroung
Old 06-10-12, 05:09 PM   #3
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fork rebuild problem.

Which parts, and in what sequence have you so far assembled?

Assuming we're discussing an SV, here's a simplified explanation:

Put rebound spring, (the small one), on damper rod.
Put damper rod into fork stanchion, (the shiny part).
To make assembly easier refit the spring and spacer assembly, and loosely refit top cap.
You'll now have the damper rod poking out the end of the stanchion.
Put lock piece, (cone shaped plastic piece), on end of damper rod.
Hold the stanchion upright, damper rod upwards, fit slider, (lower fork leg), over the damper rod and fit bolt and washer.
Turn it the right way up, remove top cap/spacer/spring.

Does the fork now operate correctly?
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"

Last edited by Sid Squid; 06-10-12 at 05:23 PM.
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-12, 05:35 PM   #4
craig dow

thanks squid
the damper rod does not stick out the shiney fork staction , theres a white plastic thing . stuck into the the bottom of the shiney staction and doesnt let the damper rod through dont know if this comes out
Old 06-10-12, 06:37 PM   #5
craig dow

did that works fine , but soon as i take top cap of and spring out the shiney tube wont push back down , is this right , this is the bit thats troubleing me
thanks a heap
Old 06-10-12, 07:57 PM   #6
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

The plastic thing is the lock piece, it's stuck in the end of the fork stanchion. It's upper end is tapered, you have compressed the fork rather hard when working on it and this has wedged the lock piece in place. Degrease the fork stanchion, put the wheel spindle back into the fork lower, stand on it and pull hard, usually this will free it.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

Old 06-10-12, 08:09 PM   #7
craig dow

hi got it out did what you said , and worked fine so i undid the top bolt and took spring and spacer out , and the the inner tube now wont go back down into the outer one , again does it only goes down when main spring is in it and bolted at top again
Old 06-10-12, 08:21 PM   #8
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

No, the fork will move completely from top to bottom irrespective of oil and spring being fitted or not. Obviously it will be rather harder to compress when it's full of spring .

Anyhoo - take it apart - something is amiss with how it's assembled.

Old 06-10-12, 08:22 PM   #9
craig dow

hi had a good look at it , sure the inner one carnt move up and down when the bolt at the bottom is it as this holds the damper rod in the bottom and so it wont move am i right , this is doing my head in , just couldnt afford 120 to get it done by garage at the mow ,
Old 06-10-12, 08:26 PM   #10
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Take it apart. Completely. Something isn't right. You have PM.