SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-06-21, 03:34 PM   #1
Bibio
Mega Poster

Default use of data..

once data (name, address etc.etc) becomes in the public domain e.g. planning permission is it lawful for someone to use that data for marketing purpose?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 03:59 PM   #2
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: use of data..

I doubt it. You open any website these days and you have to agree or not to cookies before you can do anything.

My daughter works in the GDPR department of a major credit card company and knows all the rules inside out - I can ask her of you like?
Old 28-06-21, 05:06 PM   #3
DJ123
Mega Poster

Yes, it is. As the data is available in the public Domain no permission is required.

You can reply and opt out of their communication & 'the right to be forgotten' so they can no longer send you communications.

https://iapp.org/news/a/publicly-ava...onsiderations/

BMW F800ST
DJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 06:50 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

so i can use any personal data that is published in any form open to the public. this means that i can obtain a phone book and use that data to send people marketing material.

i was always under the impression that all data must be obtained lawfully and not used for personal gain.

BTW we are no longer in the EU so all laws that apply as such are null and void.
Old 28-06-21, 09:20 PM   #5
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
so i can use any personal data that is published in any form open to the public. this means that i can obtain a phone book and use that data to send people marketing material.

i was always under the impression that all data must be obtained lawfully and not used for personal gain.

BTW we are no longer in the EU so all laws that apply as such are null and void.
My understanding was GDPR brought in 'Opt in' - which would not allow direct marketing using public info for another purpose.
Had a quick lok at ICO:

What counts as consent?

You will often need a person’s consent before you can send them a marketing message. If you do need consent, then – to be valid – consent must be knowingly and freely given, clear and specific. It must cover both your particular organisation and the type of communication you want to use (eg call, automated call, fax, email, text). It must involve some form of very clear positive action – for example, ticking a box, clicking an icon, or sending an email – and the person must fully understand that they are giving you consent. You cannot show consent if you only provide information about marketing as part of a privacy policy that is hard to find, difficult to understand, or rarely read.

The clearest way to obtain consent is to ask the customer to tick an opt-in box confirming they are happy to receive your marketing calls, faxes, texts or emails.

You should keep clear records of what a person has consented to, and when and how you got this consent, so that you can demonstrate compliance in the event of a complaint.

You should be very careful when relying on consent obtained indirectly (consent originally given to a third party). You must make checks to ensure that the consent is valid and specifically identifies you. Generic consent covering any third party is not enough.

Remember that the customer is entitled to withdraw their consent at any time. You must make it easy for people to withdraw consent, and tell them how.

For further information, see our guidance on direct marketing and our guidance on consent.
Old 28-06-21, 09:23 PM   #6
Dave20046
Mega Poster

Would need a specific scenario to comment more I guess Bibio, but I'm presuming you've put your name on planning portal and got some marketing. You don't know for sure they got it that way (I'm guessing) , I've been on there before and not had anything. I'd email the company and pretend you're interested and then tag on , by the way how did you get my details? Press until they confirm.

Report to ICO, forward the mail.

Last edited by Dave20046; 28-06-21 at 09:24 PM.
Dave20046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 06:12 AM   #7
daktulos

I'm with Dave - marketing requires specific consent. There are different legal bases under GDPR, but marketing requires consent (which must be freely given).

The ICO site is a good guide of what to do if you have a complaint, bubt essentially you need to speak to the company first before making a complaint. I've done this a couple of times, including reporting the Conservatives to the ICO

Quote:
Except that the GDPR was incorporated into UK law with the Data Protection Act 2018, so it still applies until Boris waters it down to allow him to sell our data for profit/trade deals.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 11:49 AM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

just to be clear, yes it was through buildings warrant application. the company involved admitted they lifted my details from the fine council website 'we do it all the time, whats the fuss. we are giving you a £50 voucher'.

edit
just had a look at the small print on the voucher. only to be used in conjunction with a transaction of £500 or more.

Last edited by Bibio; 29-06-21 at 11:52 AM.
Old 29-06-21, 01:23 PM   #9
daktulos

Quote:
just to be clear, yes it was through buildings warrant application. the company involved admitted they lifted my details from the fine council website 'we do it all the time, whats the fuss. we are giving you a £50 voucher'.

edit
just had a look at the small print on the voucher. only to be used in conjunction with a transaction of £500 or more.
Was it posted to you, or e-mailed? A voucher sent in the post would probably be fine. They'd still be processing your data, so you can rely on GDPR to ask them to stop, but chances are it's not worth it.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-21, 08:32 PM   #10
embee
Mega Poster

Quote:
....BTW we are no longer in the EU so all laws that apply as such are null and void.
You may wish to double check this

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eu-le...ion-and-uk-law