SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 28-04-14, 12:31 PM   #11
shiftin_gear98

Default Re: OMO: What (push)bike do I want?

Both those tyres would work fine with your current tubes, just be careful if you use a tyre lever to put the tyre back on, you might pinch it. Be sure to pump a bit of air and then seat the tyre.

This is off a Spec tyre box.
Specialized Tube 26 x 1.5-2.3 Presta

They are all roughly the same.

You can get stem raisers to give more height, but be careful you don't go too high or you'll need to start changing cables too.

http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/Uniq...ductID=G905AXX

Blatant advert for my past life.

If you want to just get an angled stem remember the greater the angle the shorter your reach will be. It'll bring the bars nearer. So you may want to get a longer stem.

Last edited by shiftin_gear98; 28-04-14 at 12:33 PM.
shiftin_gear98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-14, 12:31 PM   #12
shiftin_gear98

Personally always loved Ridgeback hybrids - good value too.
Old 28-04-14, 02:01 PM   #13
Dipper

If you're not going off road then the City Jet will roll better.
Dipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-14, 02:04 PM   #14
Dipper

Oh and be warned, if you start cycling regularly it can become an addictive and wallet lightening experience...
Old 01-05-14, 09:51 AM   #15
startrek.steve

you might like a beack cruiser like the Electra, I've got one, very comfy and cool

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct...99024272834392
Old 01-05-14, 12:26 PM   #16
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by startrek.steve View Post
you might like a beack cruiser like the Electra, I've got one, very comfy and cool

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct...99024272834392
Nice! I can imagine adapting to that pretty well oddly enough even though I don't like cruiser motorbikes.

OK update time:
On Tuesday night I decided I'd go and try one of these trails that I'd found, as I was going alone I opted to try the biggest one that I'd had my eye on (go big or go home was trundling round my head)
the track was LOVELY! barely any slope and smooth tarmac all the way around, enough differing scenery to keep it interesting though and the whole circuit was 13 miles.

I'd not been on a bike for almost a year and in the last 5 years I can count the number of times on both hands. Still, I managed the lap in 1 hr 9 mins, average speed was in double digits and I really enjoyed myself. I barely left top gear for most of it and I didn't stop (not even to take the pictures I got )
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/331593497/1077982

So in light of this I've ordered a pair of City Jet tyres, I'm going to tweak my front dérailleur to not clank when I'm on the top cog (it was set up previously for local roads which were mostly in the low gears) and I'll give the circuit another try after that.

Might need to change the gearing as I think I can cope with more pace than the current gearing allows, anyone care to weigh in on how easy/difficult/stupid that might be?

Thanks for all the help and advice so far BTW
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-14, 12:06 PM   #17
Brettus

Default OMO: What (push)bike do I want?

Yay my tyres turned up today and after fixing a puncture in each tube (one definitely self inflicted the other I'm unsure about) I've got my bike ready. Gears are better aligned so will go see what it's like
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
Old 03-05-14, 03:24 PM   #18
Brettus

Default OMO: What (push)bike do I want?

Had hoped that the tyre change, the gears correction and generally knowing where I was going and what I was in for would let me complete the lap in under an hour but it wasn't to be, I'd worked out that it was almost a minute per mile I'd have to pull back and that wasn't too realistic so I followed advice not to try and race myself. I was more enthused though so that helped, final time 1 hr... And 7 seconds!

Liking this route, just right length I think.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/333622056/1077982
Quote:

Last edited by Brettus; 03-05-14 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-05-14, 05:23 PM   #19
Dipper

The org has a Strava group Brettus if you would like to share your rides... http://www.strava.com/clubs/sv650-org
Old 03-05-14, 07:19 PM   #20
Brettus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipper View Post
The org has a Strava group Brettus if you would like to share your rides... http://www.strava.com/clubs/sv650-org
Nice! I'm nowhere near being able to post on there but I may get there
I'm currently allergic to hills, my total height change in 26km is a mere 43m and that suits me just fine right now. VERY impressive what you guys get up to though!
Quote: