SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-06-10, 01:08 PM   #1
LankyIanB

Default Which Nitron Shock?

I'm converting an 02 (Curvy) SV into a track bike and it's shock replacement time....

Nitron seem to get a very good write up and there's the choice of three shocks:

Sport (£295)
Track (£425)
Race (£475)

I'm not what you would call fast and I'm by no means a suspension fettling expert, so.... will I get any real world benefit (that I'll notice) from paying the extra £130 for the Track shock instead of the Sport one?

Ian
Old 02-06-10, 11:26 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Which Nitron Shock?

Track. You will get the benefit on track (bloody hell!). Sport one is emulsion type, biggest benefit there is you get a real spring rate... you know how well the stock emulsion shock works.

Penske is cheaper if you order from states.

Nitron look ok but I would not buy one for track use especially until I found out length and spring rate they supply. If either are stock or close to then walk away as they obviously not ridden an SV.
Old 03-06-10, 09:42 AM   #3
punyXpress
Mega Poster

I fitted a Sport Nitron a couple of months ago, & while it did what I wanted at the time, I haven't been able to ' fine-tune ' it so have a bit of improvement to see yet ( I hope )
It cost £361.32 with carriage & VAT, so your end prices will be a bit higher.
As yorkie_chris says, there are others available out there and a lot of the options are vastly cheaper. I personally think your best bet would be to tag along with someone who REALLY knows what they are on about in suspension matters & go with what they say.
Best of luck!
Old 04-06-10, 09:59 AM   #4
SV650Racer

We sell, service and setup alot of Nitron shocks as an alternative to the Ohlins/K-Tech products we sell and they are very good shocks.

Note the prices you have from their website are plus Vat.

They are easy to work on, get parts for and work very well for what you require. Also remember when you purchase an aftermarket shock that its an investment. Residual secondhand values are high so after two years use you may only loose 30% of the value of the shock if you sell it on. This makes them very reasonable £ per miles.

Never under estimate the SV650, the chassis is superb and if you ever ride a bike with a decent shock that is made for the bike you will be spoilt for life, trust me
Old 04-06-10, 10:03 AM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
Never under estimate the SV650, the chassis is superb and if you ever ride a bike with a decent shock that is made for the bike you will be spoilt for life, trust me
+1