SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 31-03-11, 03:45 PM   #1
Jimmy2Feet

Default underwater camera housing`

Hi Guys and Gals,

Camera Question.

Some of you may know, i have recently got into photography, and so far am loving it! and i think that the pictures that i am taking are starting to get better every day.

I am also into surfing big time, and would like to combine the two. What i would like to be able to do it use my SLR under the water!

The problem i have is the housings that i have seen are £1000+

Is anyone aware of decent housings that are not that much? or is it just the nature of underwated photography.

i do have a cheap £50 undwewater point and shoot digital, which is more than good enough for holiday snaps, and having a giggle.......but not a hope in hell that you could showcase the pictures that is what i am after!

And advice would be great.

Cheers
Old 31-03-11, 03:53 PM   #2
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: underwater camera housing`

TBH mate I'd be a bit unsure about immersing a grand or so worth of DSLR in seawater in a cheap housing.

Check out nobubblediving.com for some various info of what sort of kit you need to keep the wet shorty-outy stuff out of the expensive electrickery at depth. Obviously there isn't much pressure to worry about at surfing depths
Old 31-03-11, 04:14 PM   #3
Jimmy2Feet

sorry, to make sure i am not planning on going cheap, i do not plan to get one of those zip up dry bags,

i was expecting something more like £200/300 not £1000!!!

i will check out that web site tho, cheers for that, and defo wont need to keep out high pressure, but at the same time, if it is not much extra cost then may be worth spending the little extra to get something that will cover depth as well, you never know what the future may bring!
Old 31-03-11, 06:55 PM   #4
Bluefish

I bought one a few years ago for my cannon compact, that was about 100 quid, for a dslr no doubt they would cost a few quid more to have access to all the buttons. A grand though, bit steep
Old 01-04-11, 01:08 AM   #5
matt_rehm_hext

Every proper (or worthwhile at least) waterproof housing I've seen is ridiculously expensive.
Old 01-04-11, 02:51 AM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Ikelite are probably one of the more reasonable SLR housings, but you'll still be looking at 1000s. The housing is only part of the equation as you'll also need a dome port and a decent strobe!.

I looked at getting a housing for my Nikon D90, but the cost was too much. In the end, I bought a Canon G11, Ikelite housing and basic strobe, which is a big improvement over the simple Canon compact + Canon housing, but not completely bank breaking.

The other bonus of this setup is I can take it as hand luggage, whereas a full DSLR kit would have to be checked baggage and then you get nailed for overweight/ extra baggage charges
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 06:19 AM   #7
keith_d
Mega Poster

I managed to pick up a second-hand Ikelite housing for my D70. That was hundreds rather than thousands, but it took a lot of searching.

However, for surfing I'm not sure a big housing with an SLR inside would be the best choice. You might do better picking up a compact camera and housing that's small enough to strap to your wrist and less likely to get damaged (or damage you) when you get the washing machine treatment.

If you do decide to take the SLR route look out for second-hand housings that fit older bodies from the same manufacturer. That allows you to use the same lenses as your main body and reduces the costs if you do have a flood. Generally, an older housing plus a used body will still be less than buying a new housing for your pride and joy.

The good news about surfing is you don't need all the expensive toys that go with underwater photography. No strobes, no arms, no macro ports etc...

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 07:18 AM   #8

If you go point and shoot route...

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/...9020&CatId=126

Stumbled upon it whilst getting some new cameras for work.

ATB

Alex
Old 01-04-11, 09:26 AM   #9
Jimmy2Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post
I managed to pick up a second-hand Ikelite housing for my D70. That was hundreds rather than thousands, but it took a lot of searching.

However, for surfing I'm not sure a big housing with an SLR inside would be the best choice. You might do better picking up a compact camera and housing that's small enough to strap to your wrist and less likely to get damaged (or damage you) when you get the washing machine treatment.

If you do decide to take the SLR route look out for second-hand housings that fit older bodies from the same manufacturer. That allows you to use the same lenses as your main body and reduces the costs if you do have a flood. Generally, an older housing plus a used body will still be less than buying a new housing for your pride and joy.

The good news about surfing is you don't need all the expensive toys that go with underwater photography. No strobes, no arms, no macro ports etc...

Just my thoughts,

Keith.
it is not for use whilst surfing, i have a little compact for that already, i want to get in the water with the lads, with no board and get shots like......

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/vie...&photoOfTheDay

http://magicseaweed.com/photoLab/vie...photoId=213605

Before anyone points out the obveous..... i know that is no 'lad' in the first pic, and i also know that i will be hard pushed to get pics like that in british waters, but we do go to france from time to time.
Old 01-04-11, 10:15 PM   #10
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_d View Post

Just my thoughts,

Keith.

Ahh - I missed the surfing part! Strobe probably wouldn't be much use then
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote