SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 11-03-07, 10:50 PM   #1
northdowns

Default Two up touring

Hi, we are looking at getting an SV650, and intend to do some two up touring, occasionally across the channel to europe. We are torn between the SV650S and the SV650 (naked), and where interested in and positive and negative comments about each.

So please, tell us what you think.

Regards John & Debbie
Old 11-03-07, 11:14 PM   #2
Warthog

Default Re: Two up touring

If you are doing long distances, I'd suggest faired. That said, I am not totally convinced the sv is what you want for touring two-up; the pillion seat is rather small and hard, and a larger engige would be nice. But other than that it's a great bike!
Old 11-03-07, 11:18 PM   #3
BILLY

firstly welcome to the forum
I do a fair bit of 2 up traveling around the uk and I have an SV650s, It handles the miles no probs! And with no complaints from the wife! Personaly I wouldn't go for the naked as you have no protection from the wind.
Old 12-03-07, 12:41 PM   #4
scorpion

I've got a k5 naked. Done a bit of distance work with the misus on the back. No protection from the wind but don't really notice it under 70mph. The wife complained of a numb bum after 30 mins due to hard pilion seat. I'd go for the faired one if your doing distance work.
Old 12-03-07, 05:37 PM   #5
northdowns

Cheers for the feedback, its all interesting stuff, the SV is for Deb, although, I will be riding it when ever she'll let me, I've got an older R1150R, and Deb, although has ridden it, say's its bulk puts her off. We have two older children who enjoy rides out, so with a second bike in the garage, we can all go out together, and we are talking about a little excersion to France this summer, we'll only do the trip over a couple of days each way. I think the naked has an advantage over the S, as the rider deals with the wind blast, and the pillion (our daughter) will be sitting happly behind Deb.
If I'm wrong please say so, but the S looks like the faring will flow the air over the rider into the pillion, is that true???

Also Deb, thinks that the roadster is more comfortable, so if the wind blast is a problem, we'll look at adding a sports screen, maybe one of the little Givi screens?

But thanks for the info, I'm off to look at a SV650 Y model this evening.

Cheers

John
Old 12-03-07, 07:34 PM   #6
Rich
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by northdowns View Post
If I'm wrong please say so, but the S looks like the faring will flow the air over the rider into the pillion, is that true???
It depends how big the pillion is, if towering over the rider then maybe, but i expect you'd get the same from a naked..The rider will just get more of the windblast.

I think the faired would be better for long distance over the naked, even with pillion!
Old 12-03-07, 08:08 PM   #7
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Quote:
not at all. I have had many miles with pillion on and they have never moaned about wind blast. My son started as pillion on the SV at 14 and is now a bit bigger than me at 19, wind blast has not bothered him.

Quote:
Also Deb, thinks that the roadster is more comfortable, so if the wind blast is a problem, we'll look at adding a sports screen, maybe one of the little Givi screens?
Get what she is comfortable with, after all she is going to be riding it! Those little fly screens deflect a lot of wind blast.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-07, 10:41 PM   #8
northdowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckypants View Post
Get what she is comfortable with, after all she is going to be riding it! Those little fly screens deflect a lot of wind blast.
Cheers, Mike (and everyone). After spending most of Saturday sitting on bikes, Deb felt the happiest on the Naked SV, but said that she should perhaps get the SV-S and just get used to it. But tonight, I went to see a very tidy SV650N-Y, advertised on this forum, and agreed a deal. We'll pick the bike up Wednesday. So in a couple of weeks, we'll know if we've done the right thing! So we're now proper members!

John & Deb
Old 12-03-07, 11:35 PM   #9
Luckypants
Mega Poster

Cool! I'm sure you won't regret it.
Snow Plough Appreciation Society - Member #3

Luckypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-07, 09:39 AM   #10
scorpion

Nice one! good luck with the new toy.