SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-08-07, 04:30 AM   #1
1sty

Default Riding Position - Might Sell SV

I've had my SV650S for 4 months, 600 miles, now and I am thinking of selling it.
I have several comfort issues but maybe they are related to position.
I am 5'9" and just can not get a good seating position. It feels like I am either to streched out or I am basicly getting far to intamate with the tank.

Is anything adjustable?
I also dont know why but it seems to hard to put my feet on the ground.

The real problem, and I am completely serious is....my nuts.
If I ride this thing for more then a 1/2 hour, they are numb. Otherwise they are usualy in pain from being crushed from the riding position of smashing the tank or being under me as I am leaning way to much to reach the handle bars..

What am I doing wrong here or is this bike just wrong for me?

Last edited by 1sty; 29-08-07 at 04:34 AM.
Old 29-08-07, 06:45 AM   #2
Cam_73

Default Re: Riding Position - Might Sell SV

Not much taller my self, no problem with comfort.

It did feel a bit strained initially when I got the bike, until i relaxed into it (as it were)

I do find sometimes if i am not relaxed, my riding position feels a little awkward.

I probably look like i am very close to the tank, arms are fairly loose and slightly cranked, balls of feet on the pegs. I don't lean down on the tank unless I am at speed on the motorway.

Works for me but you may be different. Give it a little time and move around some to see if you can find a position that works.

You could buy rear sets and look at bar risers. That is a lot of cash though.

Cheers
Old 29-08-07, 06:54 AM   #3
ukgooner

I have had my SV sport since July and have 1k on the clock, I am about 5' 9'', can't say that I feel stretched when riding.

When I first started riding the SV I did find myself with by crutch right up against the tank, since reading a few articles and posts on the org I have conciously tried to change my seating position, using my knees more to grip the tank, not grab onto the bars so hard and to keep my ar*e central to the seat.

I must admit that when I ride wearing only jeans it is a lot harder to ride away from the tank than when wearing my MC trousers.
Old 29-08-07, 06:54 AM   #4
STRAMASHER
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sty View Post
I've had my SV650S for 4 months, 600 miles, now and I am thinking of selling it.
I have several comfort issues but maybe they are related to position.
I am 5'9" and just can not get a good seating position. It feels like I am either to streched out or I am basicly getting far to intamate with the tank.

Is anything adjustable?
I also dont know why but it seems to hard to put my feet on the ground.

The real problem, and I am completely serious is....my nuts.
If I ride this thing for more then a 1/2 hour, they are numb. Otherwise they are usualy in pain from being crushed from the riding position of smashing the tank or being under me as I am leaning way to much to reach the handle bars..

What am I doing wrong here or is this bike just wrong for me?

Try gripping more with your knees especially when braking, allowing you to have a lighter grip on the bars. Shift your weight to the inside of the bike when cornering (even a little). Put the balls(no pun etc. ) of your feet on the pegs , which will help to distribute the strain more evenly on your bod. Adjust(rotate down on the bar) your clutch and brake levers down to a less acute angle.

SV is proper sportsbike uncomfy. After a big rideout I get arm pump for a coupla days after when commuting. (6'2")

I've also have a big naked bike so am quite happy to put up with the riding position for the different riding experience.

STRAMASHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 07:07 AM   #5
The Basket

The riding position is something to get used to.

My SV was OK for short distances but not good for really big miles.

I could do 300 miles but not without aches.

Try moving about on the bike. Try not to stay in one position.

If you have health issues such as a bad back or joint pains then a bike such as the SV is not perfect.

If your in OK health then a tank of gas shouldn't be to bad. Just keep on going. But I found that a bad riding position gave me a bad impression of the bike itself and that no good. If your not enjoying it then it is no good for you. The naked SV has a fair easier riding position.
Old 29-08-07, 07:28 AM   #6
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

600 miles in 4 months...

Without wishing to sound rude, ride your bike more, your body will get used to the riding position and you wont ache as much as you'll build up the muscle strength in the muscles you use when riding.

Sounds like your riding position on the bike is wrong though if you are crushing your wedding tackle, sit back from the tank a little, about the width of a packet of fags is ideal and grip with your knees and relax the top half of your body.

The one thing that made a big differene for me was unbolting the clutch and brake lever and rotating them round the bar, so that you can draw an imaginary straight line through your elbow, wrist to your fingertips, try that it'll be much more comfy.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-07, 07:52 AM   #7
fubber

I swapped out my bars for helibars as soon as I got the SV650S. Helibars raise, wide and bring the bars closer to you slightly - but it makes a huge difference in riding position. Must admit I never had a problem with my 'nuts' but this could be the mod you need...
Old 29-08-07, 09:23 AM   #8
krhall

I'm 5'8" and 86kgs and when I first got on the SV it felt great although I had only previously riden a GS500 on my DAS. I did have to re-adjust constantly for the first few weeks to try and find the best position.

After riding it a while my wrists do ache sometimes if I am not really relaxed, but I read something on here about using your legs more and that helped.

I have similar issues with reaching the floor which makes manoevering the bike an issue sometimes, but if I get really stuck I get off and push. The K7 GSXR 600 is perfect for short ar*es like me as you can firmly plant your foot on the floor.

As someone else said get on it and ride it, I'm sure you'll find a position that suits.

Also I have a bad back and the leaning forward position actually helps me stretch.
Old 29-08-07, 09:34 AM   #9
SV225

Just pile more miles on. The SV still gives me aches sometimes but I've learn't how to stop / cope with most of them. I did a 300+ mile day not long ago without many aches at all. I find slow speed town riding gives me the most trouble as my palms ache - gripping with your legs and sitting more upright seems to help though. Also, try some slightly looser leathers - might take a bit of pressure off you nuts.
Old 29-08-07, 09:38 AM   #10
SoulKiss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
600 miles in 4 months...

Without wishing to sound rude, ride your bike more, your body will get used to the riding position and you wont ache as much as you'll build up the muscle strength in the muscles you use when riding.
Have to agree with Fizz....

I did 450 miles last weekend, my record for 5 days was 1300 at easter. I have done 9500 miles in about a year, and anticipate that being about 11,000 by the time I have had my licence for a year in about 3 weeks time.

I recognise all the symptoms you gave, but they all went away quite quickly as I got used to the bike.

█╬╬╬╬()i¯i▀▀▀▀▀█Ξ███████████████████████████████)
SoulKiss is offline   Reply With Quote