SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 17-05-19, 02:41 PM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Osram Night Breaker Laser H4

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco View Post
No wonder my last reply wasnt posted I pressed the report button and not the post reply button!!!!

If the voltage drops wont that affect the performance of the bulb? And is there a chance that the heatsink will melt the shroud?
I can easily touch and hold the heatsinks on our car bulbs and that means below 50 deg C - by overheating it means over 100deg C - which should only happen if you wrap heatsink in insulation - bulbs rated from 9-32volts D.C.. Which means,they will be full brightness from 9volts and don't dim when bike engine is ticking over.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 02:50 PM   #12
aesmith

Quote:
If the voltage drops wont that affect the performance of the bulb? And is there a chance that the heatsink will melt the shroud?
If you're referring to LEDs then these are normally constant current so give the same light output irrespective of the supply voltage.
aesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 03:35 PM   #13
disco

Thanks
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-19, 06:40 PM   #14
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
For Everyones info The classic hids have sold out as of the date of this post

Contact. sales@classiccarleds.co.uk and they will have a date when new stock should be arriving, I found them very helpful with technical questions as well.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
Old 18-05-19, 05:26 AM   #15
Othen

Did we manage to work out whether the OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER LASER bulbs ib the OP's question were any good or not?
Alan
Old 18-05-19, 06:32 AM   #16
disco

From what I’ve been reading on the net (mostly opinion and reviews), a halogen bulb will not have the white light of either led’s/hid’s. I have aftermarket bulbs in at the moment and they are osrams or Phillips but the moment I put them in a few years ago now I suspected they weren’t genuine because of the colour
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 06:41 AM   #17
Othen

Quote:
From what I’ve been reading on the net (mostly opinion and reviews), a halogen bulb will not have the white light of either led’s/hid’s. I have aftermarket bulbs in at the moment and they are osrams or Phillips but the moment I put them in a few years ago now I suspected they weren’t genuine because of the colour

I tried some cheap H4 LED bulbs in my SV650S, the light was whiter, but the spread was not very good and they didn’t last long (I suspect they succumbed to the vibration). I’ve gone back to the ordinary H4 bulbs (probably not the originals as the bike is 13 years old), which are perfectly good (not as white as the LED running lights, but very good penetration and spread.
I’ve sort of concluded this is trying to fix a problem that isn’t there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-05-19, 01:24 PM   #18
SV650rules
Mega Poster

The Classicccarled LED H4 have a better spread of light than any filament bulb I have tried, the light is much whiter and picks things like road signs out much better. The amount of useful light on nearside verge ( where you need it - especially when headlights are approaching at night ) is great and IMHO makes driving / riding at night much more pleasant - added to that the whiter light is much more visible in daylight so makes a big difference to daytime safety as well. For me it is a no-brainer, even though filament bulbs are cheaper - and LED lights are much more resistant to vibration than filaments - we have had bulbs in our cars and my bike now for pretty much 2 years and no sign of a problem. With so many vehicles now having very bright DRL your yellow motorbike headlight has become even less visible - I will never fit another filament headlight bulb. There was some arguments / confusion about whether aftermarket LED headlight bulbs would pass an MOT, but both our cars and my bike have been through MOT with them fitted and tester never even mentioned them. Not all LED bulbs are created equal though, Philips went to a great deal of trouble to make their ZES LED chips exactly the same size and shape as a filament to keep the beam pattern correct in a reflector designed for filament bulb, there are a lot of cheap and nasty LED bulbs out there with a totally illegal beam pattern.

Trust me, once you have tried good LED bulbs you will wonder how you ever managed before.

Old 18-05-19, 01:30 PM   #19
daktulos

I'm prepared to be corrected here but my understanding is that the "white" halogen bulbs use blue filters to effectively add more blue light to the mix. While they appear a cooler colour, they won't have the same visibility benefits of a broad-spectrum white light.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-19, 01:42 PM   #20
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daktulos View Post
I'm prepared to be corrected here but my understanding is that the "white" halogen bulbs use blue filters to effectively add more blue light to the mix. While they appear a cooler colour, they won't have the same visibility benefits of a broad-spectrum white light.
I think you are correct, and adding any filter to bulb will reduce total amount of light available. One benefit of cooler running LED is that the bugs and general crud does not get baked onto the headlight covers and is easy to remove. Downside is that the LED may not produce enough heat to melt driving snow off the covers. I am sure that the extra heat from new ever brighter / hotter filament bulbs has something to do with the premature yellowing / cloudiness of plastic covers.