SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 07-09-19, 03:00 PM   #1
DamoK4

Default Windshield noise advice needed

Hi guys i am hoping someone on here can come up with a solution to my horrible wind noise issue. Before i begin I have a 2005 sv650s with a stock screen, i have a well fitted shoei qwest helmet and i am a reasonably tall rider at about 6 foot 2.

I havent had the bike long but but the wind noise is terrible over 40-50mph, even with my custom moulded earplugs. I can tuck in and it is still really loud. I dont really get any lifting or whistling i just think it is turbulance. I sat perfectly upright yesterday with my head tilted slightly up and the noise instantly stopped, so it leads me to thinking the wind is either getting in through the back of the helmet or ive just got to a nice spot of air behind the screen.

From what ive read am i correct in thinking a taller or DB screen will make it worse? I am more than happy to put a smaller screen on to stop it as the bike is great, it just ruins the experience. I have seen a stick on helmet skirt but they all look really bad on a white helmet. Ive read that the mirrors can be a contributing factor too? I am close to the point of selling it which would be a real shame!

Any ideas?

heres my lanky self on the bike for laughs:

https://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e...2016.10.22.png

Last edited by DamoK4; 07-09-19 at 03:34 PM. Reason: added an image
DamoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 03:39 PM   #2
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Windshield noise advice needed

I'm surprised that tucking in doesn't quieten the buffeting, when I had a curvy it used to be very quiet when tucked in (but I am vertically challenged).
Assuming it's turbulence that's causing the problem, there's a US company called Laminar Lip whose aerofoil/spoiler is supposed to stop turbulence. I don't think they have a UK dealer so you'd have to import one yourself and pay the duty - which works out expensive. https://www.laminarlip.com/sv.php
Being a tinkerer, I'd be experimenting with making spoilers myself to see if I could fix the problem. I suppose you could remove your existing screen temporarily and see what difference that makes.

Having seen your pic I now understand why tucking in doesn't help
It looks like the screen is directing the airflow straight to your helmet.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-19, 04:35 PM   #3
DamoK4

Haha yea tucking in is more like leaning forward for me. I’m considering taking the screen off and seeing if it does fix it. If it does I might look at shorter screens or cut the bottom off a bit and allow air underneath. If that fails I wanted a smoked screen anyway
Old 07-09-19, 07:02 PM   #4
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoK4 View Post
Haha yea tucking in is more like leaning forward for me. I’m considering taking the screen off and seeing if it does fix it. If it does I might look at shorter screens or cut the bottom off a bit and allow air underneath. If that fails I wanted a smoked screen anyway
I met a guy on 250cc Suzuki Inazuma

who had a similar problem and he fitted one of these to his Windshield and as they are adjustable you should be able to get the Airflow to your liking,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...hield+extensio

There are several versions.I'm lucky inasmuch as my old 99 with a Single headlight takes a PUIG screen that is amazing for it's size and I can ride at 70 Mph and never wear earplugs with little or no buffeting.I have a cheap,"Leopard" brand Flip helmet and it does a decent job
Old 07-09-19, 07:46 PM   #5
GeorgeRYoung

Sounds like the lower front of your helmet is in the turbulent region. I bet if you stand up on the pegs, things will get quieter.

You could also try running sans windshield before you take a hacksaw to it.

I'm roughly the same size as you, and I know this is heresy, but it's lovely and quiet with an open face helmet and the stock 2003 windshield.
Old 07-09-19, 09:08 PM   #6
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

When I first got my curvy I was surprised at the noise and buffeting around 70mph. I have a DB screen now and it's like chalk and cheese; I was cynical but honestly it works (I know this sounds like a fake Amazon review!). Do a search on here as DB's range from great to pointless.
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 05:42 AM   #7
DamoK4

It is quiet when stood up your right, it has to be turbulence. I’m going to have a go with taking the screen off, but I’m pretty sure it will be quiet because the helmet is fine on a CB and a Gladius. I might just try a DB screen as jonnyrod suggested, the clip on seems like a good idea but I’d be scared of it coming off and I’d want something more permanant I think
Old 08-09-19, 07:40 AM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

I had a double bubble screen on my SV. It came with the bike so I can't compare to the stock screen but I was very happy with it. I'm 6ft and found it gave clear air around my head but some torso protection.

When I did the upright bar conversion it changed a bit and got noisier as I was sitting higher.

I think there's quite a specific area of air flow that the double bubbles create.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-19, 03:07 PM   #9
DamoK4

I have bit the bullet and ordered a Double Bubble screen. Will be 70 quid well spent if it works. If not i'll sell the screen and buy the biggest scalf ever.

Went for a 4 hour ride today to windermere and back this morning, played around with arm and seating position etc and it makes a little bit of a difference. If i put my hand under my chin it went quiet, hopefully the DB will move the air away!
Old 08-09-19, 07:53 PM   #10
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Screens can be tricky things, I fitted an MRA to my 2016 AL7 and the wind noise was horrendous - took a hacksaw to it and chopped the upturned lip off it ( about 75mm ) and it was better. layed it down flatter and better still ( it was now more like a cover for the instruments than a screen ) - took it off and it was quiet.

The problem is that if they deflect turbulent air up towards helmet the rain and the insects go with the air as well - so no gain really.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote