SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 14-09-19, 11:56 AM   #1
bikerchic

Question Help out a newbie??...

Hi all, new rider here, just got my full licence so now it's time to stop lurking and join in!

My instructor told me to buy a few essentials for the bike. I'm going to be going touring and looking at buying a few essentials. I need a bit of advice on puncture repair kits. Have any of you used the one recommended in this guide? https://bikerrated.com/gear/maintena...e-repair-kits/ - From what I can gather, they don't make run-flat tyres for bikes yet!
bikerchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 12:04 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Help out a newbie??...

Have a look for mushroom type repai kits, in my opinion a better job than the sticky strips.

Mine I keep under seat is by Stop N Go
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 01:10 PM   #3
Seeker
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerchic View Post
Hi all, new rider here, just got my full licence so now it's time to stop lurking and join in!
Welcome and congratulations on gaining your full licence. You had to work far harder than I did to get it; mine was once around the block and try not to run over the examiner when he steps into the road to check your emergency stop.

We had it easy, although I did complete the RAC-ACU course which had some elements of the new tests.

I've used the sticky string type 3 times, twice successfully, once partially - it developed a slow leak later. If I was looking at buying a replacement kit, I'd follow Chris' advice and look for the mushroom type.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 04:33 PM   #4
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SVS View Post
Have a look for mushroom type repai kits, in my opinion a better job than the sticky strips.

Mine I keep under seat is by Stop N Go
+1 for stop-n-go mushroom type, you can get a kit with CO2 cylinders to blow tyres up and fits under seat if necessary..you can buy the little co2 bottles very easily, but you need an adaptor ( supplied with kit ) to adapt bottle thread to Schrader valve on tyre. You roughly need 2 bottles for front tyre and 3 or 4 for back tyre to blow up a flat tyre.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STOP-n-GO...edirect=mobile

You need the threaded 16 gram type

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Liss-CO2-Cartridge-16g-Threaded-Pack/dp/B003BNO8W4/ref=asc_df_B003BNO8W4/?tag=bingshoppinga-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adpositio n}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocph y=&hvtargid=pla-4584001419538264&psc=1

I put kit in car when not using bike in winter and if I go on long journey in the car.

Have a practice with inserting plugs, easy once you know how, be careful loading mushroom and make sure not to trap the head in the applicator or it will never go through hole in the tool no matter how hard you screw the plunger down . I put a bit of extra pure silicone lube in the plastic bag with the plugs - needs to be smeared on the mushroom head before trying to extrude it through the application tool, they do come pre coated with lube but didn't look enough for me. Don't use
petroleum based lube as it will attack to rubber.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 14-09-19 at 06:14 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 07:58 PM   #5
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

+1 for the stop'n'go kits and a few canisters of CO2.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 08:12 PM   #6
yokohama

Or save yourself the hassle, fill the space under the seat that the puncture outfit would occupy with your favourite tipple and get breakdown insurance.
In case of a flat, chill out and let someone else sort it out for you.
yokohama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-19, 11:43 PM   #7
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by yokohama View Post
Or save yourself the hassle, fill the space under the seat that the puncture outfit would occupy with your favourite tipple and get breakdown insurance.
In case of a flat, chill out and let someone else sort it out for you.
what he said...

there are far too may people trying to save a few pennies by doing it themselves when for a few bucks more you can have someone else do it for you or take you to your destination or home. whats a puncture repair kit going to cast £20?? well that £20 towards a breakdown service.. i would not leave home without a breakdown service... £80 for a year and its peace of mind knowing you can just phone someone up and they will take you home if your bike feks up..

oohh and btw i know more than most when it comes to broken bikes... but i still have breakdown insurance.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 07:37 AM   #8
Adam Ef
Mega Poster

^ I've got both. Autoaid recovery. Covers me in whatever vehicle and my wife too. For about £50 a year. So I'm covered on the bike, in van or family car.

You can wait a long time for recovery though. In the cold of winter, I'd rather know I can get a puncture sorted enough to get me somewhere warmer instead of freeze for a few hours. Last call out I had we waited 2 hours and that was even though they knew I had a child with me on a main road. If you're a bloke on your own expect to be bumped right down the list of priorites for most recovery companies.

I'd also recommend going with someone who puts each job out to tender instead of having their own vehicles (ie. not RAC , AA) as it means recovery companies trying the get the work respond and turn up quicker to try and secure the work. Even then expect a wait though.
Adam Ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 09:14 AM   #9
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I also have AA cover and still carry a stop-n-go kit, but if you are going touring as OP said, you may get to some out of the way places, maybe abroad, where you will wait a long time for breakdown to arrive - also punctures are now the number one callout reason for breakdown services, AA get called out about 200,000 times a year just for tyres, which has taken top spot from flat batteries, and because most cars don't have a spare these days it can be time consuming. My niece shamed a guy the other day by jacking a neighbours car up and changing his tyre because he didn't have a f***ing clue what to do... he was obviously a new age man...

I may have to call AA if the tyre is ripped but for a simple nail hole , nahhh...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-19, 10:17 AM   #10
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

I use Startrescue Breakdown-Recovery.Good prices,

https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakd...ver/motorcycle

They have a nice simple app that is easy to use when you need them.