SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 16-04-07, 02:49 PM   #1
Power Crazy

Default Riding Position of a Curvy 650s compared with a Pointy 650S

First off, I have done a search and I have not been able to find what I am after, so sorry if it has already being discussed. I did try and find out, honest.
Does anyone know if there is a difference in the seating position between the curvy and pointy 650S. Is the bar to foot peg distances the same?
I ask because I have realised that the curvy 650S is ideally suited to my style of riding, but they are getting a little old now. I don't want to gamble on a newish pointy to find its not as good. I have just sold an SV1000S which I just couldn't get on with. I never found it particularly comfortable and the extra weight was a hindrance as was the extra power. The seat was a pain in the ****, literally.

Anyone gone from curvy 650S to a pointy 650S? What differences did you notice?
Old 16-04-07, 02:52 PM   #2
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: Riding Position of a Curvy 650s compared with a Pointy 650S

I've ridden both, theres not much differnence, there is a slightly longer reach to the bars on the pointy and the tanks a different shape to. Also the seat height is bigger on the pointy ( or at least it feels that way ) so you get a better IMHO view of the road ahead.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-07, 03:36 PM   #3
clanger

I ride a curvy, and test rode a pointy, and found the seat VERY uncomfortable. If you buy a curvy for cheap money, you will be able to afford to put all the extra's on and keep her looking nice. Ive had mine for nearly 6 years now and I dont feel like Im riding an old bike.
Old 16-04-07, 03:38 PM   #4
Alpinestarhero

Powercrazy - keep your curvy clean and well serviced, and you'll never need to go to the dark side!

Until you want an IL4

Matt
Old 18-04-07, 01:56 PM   #5
Power Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinestarhero View Post
Powercrazy - keep your curvy clean and well serviced, and you'll never need to go to the dark side!

Until you want an IL4

Matt
Had an IL4. I didn't like it. My curvy is not longer mine, it belongs to Mrs. PC so I have to sneak out on it.

Sounds like I am going to have to hunt out another decent curvy for my-self.
Old 18-04-07, 02:29 PM   #6
pheasant_hunter

I had a curvy for a year and get a pointy this weekend, so I can tell you next week if you want?
Old 20-04-07, 07:13 AM   #7
Power Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheasant_hunter View Post
I had a curvy for a year and get a pointy this weekend, so I can tell you next week if you want?
Great, any feedback would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 20-04-07, 07:39 AM   #8
slark01

Thumbs up Re: Riding Position of a Curvy 650s compared with a Pointy 650S

hi guys, newbie here. I've been riding a pointy for about 6 months now and one thing i've learnt is that if ur a short ass your gonna be in pain. After about an hour of riding its my shoulders that are killing me ( wrists are always fine, dunno why ). With me being so short I have to sit right upto the tank just so i can bend my arms a little and also get my foot on the ground.
Finally, the seat is hard as nails, but I love this bike, so damn easy to ride and totally forgiving. My advice is to test ride one from a garage and get a feel for it, as you sound like a experienced biker shouldn't take you long
Old 20-04-07, 07:43 AM   #9
petevtwin650

I've ridden both and much prefer the riding position of the curvy. The seat is better too IMO. 5' 7" height if that's any help.
Old 20-04-07, 07:47 AM   #10
pheasant_hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slark01 View Post
With me being so short I have to sit right upto the tank just so i can bend my arms a little and also get my foot on the ground.
Finally, the seat is hard as nails, but I love this bike, so damn easy to ride and totally forgiving.
ejohnh had a lowered seat seat to fit a curvy, if you do want to get a bit closer to the deck?

cheers

Jamie