SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Pennine Massive For those readers based up north.

Old 23-05-11, 02:07 PM   #1
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Default Pennine Massive Mountain Bikers... Anyone fancy dalby forest?

Edit: Thread update

This thread has grown to a mammoth 19 pages (at the time of writing).. As it stands there's Myself, Matt Owenski, Roberrrt, Tom the great and Nick the gr33k heading to dalby forest on Saturday 18th June and camping at Abbots House Farm camspite (13 miles from dalby) with bbq & beers after the days riding on the RED route If anyone else is wanting to tag along, you'll have to arrange your own transport to & from the venue as my van's full

Original thread from here --------

Just wondered if anyone has been to the trails at dalby forest at all? Really itching to get up and do the long green or regular yellow trails but a bit worried I might get in the way of pro's/mental fearless people, so looking to see if anyone else is interested (in holding my hand).

I'm still working on my fitness but wouldn't mind trying to get up there for a days riding and possibly overnight camping with bbq/beer, sometime in the next month or two..

Anyone else interested?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-7d6n9p - dalby info's

generic video of downhill riders with my absolute favorite d'n'b track of the moment...
YouTube Video
Error: If you cannot see this video, then either YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed to play it.

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..

Last edited by Paul the 6th; 01-06-11 at 01:35 PM.
Paul the 6th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-11, 02:15 PM   #2
Owenski

Default Re: Pennine Massive Mountain Bikers... Anyone fancy dalby forest?

God that makes me miss my bike

Im not too keen on this idea of going up hill, but spose I may be up for it - if the family can come for the bbq/camping bit.
Old 23-05-11, 02:23 PM   #3
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Balls... just typed a reply and then clicked a link away from the page feck it!

Don't wanna do any more uphill riding than I absolutely have to, that's what my 6.6 mile loop is for Also, have you sold your bike?! What teh feck?

For anyone who's interested but doesn't have their own bike, there's 'Purple Mountain Bike Hire' at dalby forest, you can hire a Hardtail with disc brakes 3 hours for £25 or full day for £30... or on their list of prices there's a 'Demo Bike' for £40 or £50 (3 hours or full day respectively) which I'm guessing is a fully suspended top end MTB given the price?

http://www.purplemountain.co.uk/dalby/

Was thinking the apres-trail camping/bbq bit might add a more social dimension to the whole thing thus attracting a few more people

Cbf600, sv650, sv1000, gsxr 750 srad, KTM adventure 950, gsxr 750 k1, gsxr 750 srad, fazer 1000, zx9r ninja..
Old 23-05-11, 02:36 PM   #4
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

How about up Grizedale?

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-5k2c5b

We went up there by accident last year on the Hardy Bikers rideout, nice mountain bike hire place, and lots of trails.

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-11, 02:41 PM   #5
Owenski

Yeah the bike in my avatar is sold, I've not had that bike for over 3 years. It was sold as part of the house deposit, and still to this day it the most expensive 2 wheel'd thing I've owned bloody loved that bike.

I've still got the GT, a hard tail toy - a bit knackerd to be honest due to the hammering it got before I bought the ironhorse but I'll get it where ever anyone else is going.

Those first 2 routes may be a little boring if they're classed as family routes. Plus a 6.6mile ride will be over in less than 30mins, I wa doing 10miles, home and showered in less than 45min when loosing pounds on the run up to the wedding so... how many laps of the 6.6route are you hoping to do?
Old 23-05-11, 02:49 PM   #6
AndyBrad

i dont do mountain biking, i dont doo "fitness" but i have done the grizedale north face run on a knackered 17 year old mountin bike (suspension your kidding i was lucky it had rubber tyres) its great fun and as easy or as hard as you like (big loop around the place with little tracks cutting the corners for folks like matt

ive got a hybrid bike now (no suspension) and would be up for that if you fancied?
Old 23-05-11, 02:49 PM   #7
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

well... the 6.6 fitness route is:

Exactly 6.66 miles (devil's in the detail)
My quickest time so far has been around 32 mins with an average speed of around 12mph, top speed of 28.3mph.. On knobblies 70/30 road-to-off road riding. Hoping to get it down to around 25 mins soon, then once I've done that, extend the route to include the rest of the river where I currently turn home (so it'll become a figure of 8 and prolly end up being about 10-11 miles.. I've only been cycling 2-3 weeks so give me a blimmin chance matt

Apparently the blue or yellow route (website and pdf's show call it different colours) is somewhere around 12 miles and is moderately technical/challenging apparently? Am I gonna have to do a recce and helmet cam video to convince ya?

Dizzy - really would love to get to the lakes but it's just a bit too far for a first proper outing on the mtb... Maybe once dalby is done & my confidence is up I'll be heading off to the lakes every few weeks but with dalby being so close it just makes sense at the mo

Old 23-05-11, 02:50 PM   #8
AndyBrad

just seen that video, fack that lad!
Old 23-05-11, 02:53 PM   #9
Paul the 6th
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
i dont do mountain biking, i dont doo "fitness" but i have done the grizedale north face run on a knackered 17 year old mountin bike (suspension your kidding i was lucky it had rubber tyres) its great fun and as easy or as hard as you like (big loop around the place with little tracks cutting the corners for folks like matt

ive got a hybrid bike now (no suspension) and would be up for that if you fancied?

Glad ya got the sliders andy was on the way back from blackburn on friday If you reckon your hybrid would be upto the job and a handful of people wanted to do grizedale instead then we could organise something like that instead? Just guaging opinion really

Old 23-05-11, 02:56 PM   #10
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBrad View Post
i dont do mountain biking, i dont doo "fitness"

+1

This is a bloody MOTORBIKIN forum Paul

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote