SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 03-04-13, 07:02 PM   #11
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: 1st April 2013

Yep. The very same. Which track were you at, and what colour's your CBR? I've got footage from évery session...
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-13, 07:09 PM   #12
Daimo

Oh oh oh, stick it on YT.

Red top half, black lower half, high level exhaust, blue rossi lid with 46 on the back.

I'll find a pic
Old 03-04-13, 07:10 PM   #13
Daimo

This, but without the stickers on the front fairings.

Old 03-04-13, 07:11 PM   #14
Daimo

http://www.youtube.com/D4MOB
Old 03-04-13, 07:36 PM   #15
ogden
Mega Poster

Yeah, found you...

I'll have a rummage through and see what I can find. Unlikely to be uploading anything before the weekend as I'm waiting for a copy of Pinnacle Studio to be delivered so I can crop out the crap the bookends the on-track stuff.
Old 03-04-13, 07:51 PM   #16
ogden
Mega Poster

Ah, here's you giving me a cheery wave on the in-lap - http://youtu.be/pDTp97GEo5c?t=15m54s
Old 03-04-13, 07:56 PM   #17
Daimo

haha nahh thats my best friend on his 675, I knew the camera was on record and his bike was soooo much faster out of the bends, so I gave him a wave for when he watches it back. Was that you in front of him? Think that was session 2 (Ignoring the 3 lap only sighting laps).

HAve you got windows movie maker? Its lame, but its what I'm using at the moment until I can afford some proper video software.
Old 03-04-13, 08:18 PM   #18
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daimo View Post
Was that you in front of him?

HAve you got windows movie maker? Its lame, but its what I'm using at the moment until I can afford some proper video software.
Yeah, that was me in front. The thou makes passing on the straights so easy - no need to carve past someone in a corner, I just have to sit on their tail through the wiggly bits then rocket past in a straight line. Daft gearing though - I was peaking around 160 down the straights, which was just short of the limiter in 4th.

I've got Windows Movie Maker but it won't import native mp4 and I can't be arsed transcoding. The eval copy of Pinnacle Studio 15 I used last year was OK, and the full version of 16 is only fifty quid, so I ordered a copy. It'll give me something to do between races at the weekend.

Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed Snetterton. I'd not been there before, and Cadwell on Sunday was treacherous (if you think there were a lot of red flags and falls on Monday, that was nothing compared to Sunday), so I took is easy in the morning learning my way round. The first two afternoon sessions were playtime proper, and the last session was practically deserted so I focused on technique for a bit, aka "these sliders are going in the bin by teatime".

Held out for less than 48 hours after getting home, before booking Donington at the end of May. I'm weak.
Old 03-04-13, 08:41 PM   #19
Daimo

haha, see I really struggle on the straights, and it was too cold to really get on the brakes really hard or get the power down (last year in the summer I was braking at the 200m marker, Monday was at the 300m marker). It was annoying though, some of the 1000cc's would come blatting past then practically stop on the bends. I give people a lot of room as I don't want to take anyone out. I could have run in the fast group, but they were all racers prepping up for this season and I didn't fancy it after having so many cut me up at Brands a few weeks back. When summer comes in though I'll go up.

I really like snetterton, yeah its flat, but its a good mixture of bends and technical braking areas, and thats what I find fun. I need to work on some consistency though.

The afternoon bugged me a bit, my camera recorded just over 8 minutes in one session. Then I heard about the oil trail, and was told it was from Revett straight all the way round to Corams. Upon looking at someone elses video it wasn't, but I'd already decided to leave. Gutted. Still, I'll go back there later in the year.

Was a good day overall though, tinkered with the suspension and found a nice setting, so know for next time.

Ironically, whilst I can get knee down everywhere, I always pull it up, my sliders have lasted me over a year now

Now I need to sort out a better car with a towbar so I can start venturing out to other circuits
Old 03-04-13, 09:06 PM   #20
ogden
Mega Poster

Quote:
haha, see I really struggle on the straights, and it was too cold to really get on the brakes really hard or get the power down (last year in the summer I was braking at the 200m marker, Monday was at the 300m marker). It was annoying though, some of the 1000cc's would come blatting past then practically stop on the bends.
Yeah, sorry about that

Quote:
I give people a lot of room as I don't want to take anyone out. I could have run in the fast group, but they were all racers prepping up for this season and I didn't fancy it after having so many cut me up at Brands a few weeks back. When summer comes in though I'll go up.
I only moved up from the novices last September - well overdue, really, but the final straw was that the novices just started to feel downright dangerous - I could never work out what line the bike in front was going to take so I could do a clean pass. Not so much a racing line as Brownian Motion on two wheels. That said, look what this berk did to me when he forgot to brake...

Watching the videos, I can pinpoint all my major faults (braking too early; turning in too early so even when I hit the apex I run wide on the exit; inexplicably revving out in first rather than change up to second). Shame I couldn't do two good days back-to-back, as I find I can spend the second day fixing the faults from the first.

On the plus side, the new tyres (Michelin Power Supersport) are awesome. Streets ahead of the crappy Maxxis hoops I was running last year.