SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 08-11-17, 06:33 PM   #1
Ljay

Default Possible Return to SV650

Hi

Short story after breaking my back sold my bike and waited 7 years to buy another which is a XJ6N - decent but a little bland.
The SV was my first big bike and loved it so am considering the L7 model as it's lighter as I'm a shorty with some issues since my accident (car) but so glad can ride a bike again.

I looked at MT 07 but doesn't do it for me I know over time can make the SV unique to me which is part of the appeal as well as being easy to manage.

Thanks
Ljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-17, 06:52 PM   #2
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Possible Return to SV650

Although testers describe the MT 07 as a wheelie monster (mainly because front end is lighter than SV) and nippy, the SV L7 is about half a second faster to 60mph (3.8 and 3.2 seconds). I have no regrets getting an L7 as soon as they came to UK in 2016. I have shortish legs (29") but feel very stable on the L7 and can comfortably get both feet down. Stock seat is not the most comfortable in the world but I find it fine for majority of rides I do, less than a couple of hours in the saddle without a break. As a bonus I think all UK models have ABS.

I find the lack of vibration at all engine speeds amazing, but a 90degree V twin is intrinsically well balanced, unlike parallel twins which need fancy balance shafts and other kit, which are rarely successful at ironing out vibration at all engine speeds.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 09-11-17 at 10:08 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 09:19 AM   #3
Talking Heads

Only criticisms I would make of my AL7 are no grab rail, no bungee attachment points for putting a bag on the rear seat and the front mudguard is a bad joke.
And to fit the Suzuki rear rack holes need to be cut in the side panels.
Oh and you can forget about ever fitting a centre stand.

Other than that lot its bloody brilliant.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 09:32 AM   #4
SVSte

If you look under the seat there are 2 small straps you pull them out and then you can put a seat bag on with bungee attachment or Roc straps without damaging the side panels.

Last edited by SVSte; 09-11-17 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-11-17, 11:08 AM   #5
Talking Heads

Yep, but have you actually tried using them to secure a 30 litre roll bag weighing around four kilos...?

For a start they're positioned one either side in the middle of the rear seat, so no fore and aft stability.
And they are above the height of the base you're trying to secure the load to.
In practice I have found them to be completely useless.
If the two pop-out straps were further forward with another two at the back they might work, but as they are... they ain't getting the job done for me.

If you can point me to a how-to video showing how to get a decent sized bag tied on to them securely I'll be delighted
Old 09-11-17, 02:54 PM   #6
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
how to get a decent sized bag tied on to them securely I'll be delighted
it requires three pull'n'lock (Ladder lock) webbing straps. one on each side then one across the middle to pull the two side ones tighter. its how i have a roll pack strapped on the pointy when on holiday. i bolted straps under the seat and carry a small middle strap as well.

put the two side straps in the loops then attach seat. put the straps round the roll pack at each side then place the middle strap across the top and under the side straps. pull the side straps tight then pull the middle strap tight. the middle strap pulls on the two outer straps making it very tight and secure as the two outer straps cant slip off.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-17, 11:50 PM   #7
Talking Heads

Any chance you could post a picture of a bag anchored to an AL7 using the fitted pop-out anchor points?
I'm struggling to understand what strap goes where.
I've found that if the roll bag goes across the seat and straps are placed around the roll bag through the anchor points and tightened, the bag rolls back and forwards.
Old 10-11-17, 01:36 PM   #8
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Any chance you could post a picture of a bag anchored to an AL7 using the fitted pop-out anchor points?
I'm struggling to understand what strap goes where.
I've found that if the roll bag goes across the seat and straps are placed around the roll bag through the anchor points and tightened, the bag rolls back and forwards.
dont have an AL7 but its basically the same a how i have a setup on my K7. when you strap the bag to the bike do you use another strap across the top to 'pull' the straps attached to the anchor points tight?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 09:38 PM   #9
Blapper

My solution was to modify a seat base to be a fixing plate for a 35 litre top box and then I attach it with the ignition key. At a push I can bungee items on top too. The box is so vast that I can carry my single seat conversion in it to replace the top box if I am based somewhere.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-20, 04:52 PM   #10
svenrico

Quote:
Only criticisms I would make of my AL7 are no grab rail, no bungee attachment points for putting a bag on the rear seat and the front mudguard is a bad joke.
And to fit the Suzuki rear rack holes need to be cut in the side panels.
Oh and you can forget about ever fitting a centre stand.

Other than that lot its bloody brilliant.
Would seem to be the same criticisms of the 2020SV650A. Having a fender extender fitted to mine before I take delivery ,but they are hardly ever long enough and require their own extender !
Don't see how cutting holes in the side panels can be considered acceptable by Suzuki on a new bike !
Don't know about centre stand, why can't that be fitted ?
I have an Abba stand anyway and just need the fitting kit for the sv650a.
svenrico is offline   Reply With Quote