SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-07-17, 01:38 PM   #1
theenglishman

Default Silly MPG

So I'm looking at Fuelly and the average MPG for the SV650 is around 50. I'm getting 70. And I don't know why. I commute into London, 35 miles each way and varying speeds of motorway and increasingly large sections of average speed camera zones. Still, I wouldn't say I hang around.

Well over 200 miles to a tank isn't natural. I mean I get NC750 levels of economy....

Anyone else get well above average levels of fuel economy?
theenglishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 02:02 PM   #2
Chris_SVS

Default Re: Silly MPG

I've seen upwards of 175/tank but I've never gambled with the fuel light to push that up
Chris_SVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 02:04 PM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

I can get low 80's from my 2016 AL7 , mid 70's quite normal even making 'good progress'.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 02:36 PM   #4
Bibio
Mega Poster

ignore other peoples MPG on fulley.

k7 twin spark and i average around the 60mpg but i only use the bike for pleasure.

something you have to remember about filling your tank for MPG figures is that you have to fill it to the same level every time. there is no point putting a tenners worth in and trying to calculate from that. start with a full tank and fill to the same level of full tank each time or once a week. keep receipts with the litres used and each fill up zero the A trip and then each full tank write down the B trip on receipt then reset both, then put the total litres of all receipts used into fulley with your last full mileage.

there is a lot that can increase fuel economy. how much you twist your wrist, how well the brakes are working, overall maintenance of the bike but one of the biggest factors is your speedo and how accurate it is.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 03:57 PM   #5
Red ones
Mega Poster

I get an average 60 mpg. Sounds like a similar commute for me. Average speed cameras probably do you a favour.

I use an iPhone app Roadtrip and have 4 years of figures to work from for the current bike.
Red ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 04:14 PM   #6
Craig380
Mega Poster

I get around 60 / 65mpg from my bog standard K6, that's mostly open-road leisure riding at a moderately brisk pace, with very little town work ....

One thing I find is, I never need to use more than half-throttle on the road, the performance available in the first half of the twistgrip's movement is more than enough to get out of trouble (or into it )
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 05:44 PM   #7
garynortheast
Mega Poster

I quite often see just under 200 miles from a tankful on my curvy before I chicken out and fill it up again!
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-17, 06:05 PM   #8
AlexAdams

Quote:
Originally Posted by theenglishman View Post
So I'm looking at Fuelly and the average MPG for the SV650 is around 50. I'm getting 70. And I don't know why. I commute into London, 35 miles each way and varying speeds of motorway and increasingly large sections of average speed camera zones. Still, I wouldn't say I hang around.

Well over 200 miles to a tank isn't natural. I mean I get NC750 levels of economy....

Anyone else get well above average levels of fuel economy?

This seems very normal, you're doing relatively long journey's at efficient speeds.
Old 13-07-17, 10:41 PM   #9
Hapo

...I am getting a good 50 mpg, but my miles might be bit shorter than yours...???...

...I ride what most of you would probably think of as very hard, seeing the ton on every run at some point(s), and using most of the throttle on occasion...

...I do not really wring the motor's neck, but do run up to 9 or 10 thousand RPM on occasion, and generally shift at 7 or 8 thousand...

...I do not like how the motor feels below 4000 RPM...I ususally use that number as a cruising speed and pick a gear accordingly...this helps me regulate me speed as well, eh...
Old 13-07-17, 10:46 PM   #10
Hapo

...I suppose I should say 4 to 6 thousand RPM are the parameters of cruising for Hapo...

...I try not to do that very much...I will drive miles out of the way to avoid it...