SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-09-09, 06:23 PM   #1
Brettus

Default Winter proofing my bike.

I know the thread has been done before, I've got most of the idea but I need a little self indulgence as I'm feeling rather chuffed with myself. Finally got off my backside and gave my bike a long overdue clean (turns out its blue too, who'da thunk it?!). It had been dirty all through the so called summer as whenever I gave it a quick clean it rained the next day and it looked as bad as before so I gave up, but I thought today with it being so nice I should give it a proper clean and then I can ACF-50 it for the coming months.

I took the fairings off and cleaned them both sides and everything, quite pleased given the state it normally looks heh. I've still got a few servicing things to do before I'm happy its as sorted as its likely to get for winter, it needs an oil/filter change and the front brakes checking but that shouldn't be too bad for next weekend. I should go on more rideouts, they often shame me into cleaning it up at least a little

Right, so its now clean, I'm going to ACF50 everything bar the brakes, change the oil and filter, clean the air filter and check the front brakes.

Is there anything else I should be doing/checking to give it a helping hand through the winter?
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
"Well I've met God and he had nothing to say to me"
Brettus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-09, 06:27 PM   #2
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Winter proofing my bike...

Make sure the rear brake operates fine , I hardly use mine and they can stiffen up a bit . I would also check the pivot of the rear brake lever and the gear change lever , these can gum up a bit and not return properly .
Old 13-09-09, 06:40 PM   #3
Brettus

Default Re: Winter proofing my bike...

Ah, good points, didn't check the rear lever while I was cleaning. Have done in the past as I've had the same issue but didn't think about it.

Glad I posted now, just the things I don't think of. Thanks xXBADGERXx!
K6 SV650S Sport: GSXR 1000 front end, Penske shock, F.Fabbri DB clear screen, colour matched hugger, Corbin riders seat, Evotech tail tidy, Akrapovic full system, Twin 55w HID lights, Givi rack and..... the biggest top box known to man
Quote:
Old 13-09-09, 11:25 PM   #4
xXBADGERXx

Default Re: Winter proofing my bike.

I have just been mulling over the point of maybe drilling and tapping mine and fitting small grease/zerk nipples as mine are forever getting stiffer and need regular cleaning and greasing every few months .
Old 14-09-09, 08:44 AM   #5
suzsv650

Still got a few months yet. I Will be wintering mine in November.
Old 14-09-09, 09:40 AM   #6
Brettus

Definitely, fingers crossed for a few good weeks of weather before then but I'm trying to be a little proactive and build up the ACF50 and stuff so its ready for when it suddenly gets cold one night and its wet and horrible after that I barely touch the bike because of the lack of light and enthusiasm so I'm trying to pre-empt it

Thought it had developed a horrible sounding tick/clank this morning as I was wheeling it back and forth with the engine running into the work bike shed, then looked up to see there was a digger with a jackhammer sorting out the roadway around the corner phew!
Quote:
Old 14-09-09, 04:42 PM   #7
MattCollins

Probably wouldn't hurt to invest in a bike hoist and/or front and rear stands plus a few tubs of grease and go through the bike from one end to the other.

Cheers
Old 14-09-09, 06:12 PM   #8
blueto

wanna know how to winter proof your bike...........??

just stick it the garage like i do all winter! stays immaculate
Old 14-09-09, 06:43 PM   #9
Brettus

Hah, I'm no fair weather biker, I've even got winterproofed myself thanks to my lovely wife treating me to a new set of winter kit! typical though I buy that and its two weeks of no rain predicted! but then since when can weathermen predict the weather?
Quote:
Old 14-09-09, 08:40 PM   #10
thefallenangel

Greasing your bike, cleaning out the calipers and rubber greasing them will save you more time in the long run.

Don't forget gear lever pivot points, clutch cables, chains, locks and anything which the winter's joy will eat.

ACF 50 is good for protecting against corrosion but if the correct points have been excessively greased they should be okay.

And be prepared mid winter to clean calipers out again.