SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 21-05-11, 03:30 PM   #1
rob_rossi_46

Default Fire proofing an attic

I am in need to fire proof an attic which is in an old cottage. For a mortgage it must be fire proof due to a fire could spread in the attic space to next door. what material is best to use? i have heard that Fireline boards are good and probably the cheapest option. do they then have to be fitted to a wall or just a frame?
any help is appreciated.
Old 21-05-11, 03:46 PM   #2
Nobbylad
Mega Poster

Default Re: Fire proofing an attic

I used chicken wire stretched across and into the joists, stapled onto the sides so it basically went over each joist, down the side across the space between joists, up the side of the next, over that one and repeated all the way across. Then the space between the joists was filled with rolls of fireproof Rockwool. The reason for the chicken wire was to prevent the Rockwool falling down in the event that a fire burns through the plasterboard ceiling below.

Best thing to do is to check latest building regs/ask the building control department of the local council.
Nobbylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-11, 03:47 PM   #3
nobby

when I did mine in 2007 I used 2 layers of plaster board, on all rooms excluding the bathroom. The door to the loft is a fire door and the area around is is twin skin also, it was passed by Building Control.

A good place to start would be your local Building Control office.
Old 21-05-11, 03:50 PM   #4
Specialone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbylad View Post
I used chicken wire stretched across and into the joists, stapled onto the sides so it basically went over each joist, down the side across the space between joists, up the side of the next, over that one and repeated all the way across. Then the space between the joists was filled with rolls of fireproof Rockwool. The reason for the chicken wire was to prevent the Rockwool falling down in the event that a fire burns through the plasterboard ceiling below.

Best thing to do is to check latest building regs/ask the building control department of the local council.
Yep thats probably cheapest but as Nobby said, speak to your local building control, they will advise on the lastest regs and more importantly the best way to go about it.
The green rockwool slabs are fire retardant and not expensive,
Ideally, you could replace the plasterboard on your ceilings with pink fire board but this is expensive to do.
8x4 sheet of pink fire board is approx £10 a sheet and then it will need plastering.

Last edited by Specialone; 21-05-11 at 05:48 PM.
Old 21-05-11, 04:11 PM   #5
rob_rossi_46

Thanks for the quick posts. I will check with the local authorities. I only need to fire proof so that a fire could not spread through the attic space from nexr door. Not so much to replace the ceilings. Any more info would be great.
Rob
Old 21-05-11, 07:55 PM   #6

yes.. all the above or you can look into fire curtain. I have shed loads I can sell you if you like for cheap, the architect changed the spec last minute after we had ordered...
Old 21-05-11, 09:59 PM   #7
speedplay

Also look into intumiscent spraying.

You can treat timber for fire protection and fire foam will fill gaps in timber framing and brickwork.

Is it a large void in the roof or just an incomplete wall?

If its a void, you will have to build a partition and plasterboard it (30min FP) but if theres only small gaps, foam will be the easiest, cheapest and quickest way of doing it.