SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Stuff Wanted Looking for SV bits, nothing in For Sale? Place a plea here.

Old 29-04-10, 09:53 AM   #11
hollayzfr1

Default Re: rear sprocket size

Hey guys,

Just changed my front sprocket to a 14 tooth one.

Must admit not all that blown away with the difference, hardly noticeable to be honest.

Now I'm thinking about going up on the rear. Anyone know how many teeth I could go up before a new chain is in order?

Think the chain on my bike is the Factory one, it's in perfect nick.

Cheers
Old 29-04-10, 11:16 AM   #12
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow#36 View Post
1T up on the rear is hardly noticable! I'd go to a 14T on the front for any noticable difference, and the wear isnt that much faster than the standard 15T. I depends how well you look after your chain too.
It's quite marked IME even with a scottoiler and regular cleaning.

Reason is you increase the tension on chain for a given acceleration markedly.

Better option is a larger rear one, 48 works good.
Old 06-10-13, 05:59 PM   #13
upandrunning

Hi guys... I'm planning on make a change of ratio on my front and rear sprockets cause I hate how crotch rockets beat me all the way around on the straights when I'm on the track. I mean, first 100m they have to deal with my torque, but after they're up in the revs, they are gone. In a track crowded with 600cc only bikes I would like to be a little more competitive without changing the hole bike. I love my sv naked bike. I'm willing to sacrifice a little torque by some top end speed. I'm using Standart sprockets currently my question is: what is the max I can go in the front sprocket and the min for the rear one so I can consider what would be best for me.?

Cheers.
Old 06-10-13, 06:58 PM   #14
Purity14

Default rear sprocket size

On my streetfighter cbr, i dropped two at the front and gained 3 at the back, its pretty lively.. Not interested in top speeds or motorway usage on this bike, its bearable.. But around town and on the twisties its great..

I rode to romania on a 15t front 47t rear, and swapped out to a 13t front for the transfargen.. It was worth it
Old 06-10-13, 07:32 PM   #15
Red Herring
Mega Poster

I have 14/44 sprockets on my pointy and she hits the rev limiter at 121mph according to the SatNav.

Changing the final drive ratio (sprockets) isn't going to suddenly allow you to keep up with 600cc sports bikes around a circuit. They have 50% more power than you and that isn't something you are going to be able to get round easily. By lowering the gearing you close the ratios up which allows you to keep the engine in it's "sweet" spot more easily as the gap between gears is less, but it does mean you will be changing gears more often. If you spend most of your time playing hard on country lanes then it's worth doing, if you commute or don't ride very progressively then it's not.
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 08:58 PM   #16
madcockney

For those with Android phones can I suggest that you download the "Calcola Rapporti" app from the play store. This not only gives you your particular make and model of bike, but what the speed is in each gear at any RPM you specify, and what that will be if you change the sprockets. Note use this as indicative only and also does not allow for any slippage of the tyres etc. For instance the speed that RH mentions with 14/44 sprockets, (and standard wheels/tyres), you would achieve, according to this app, at 9250 rpm, which I would have thought was different to the actual revs that RH was actually doing
madcockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 09:41 PM   #17
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcockney View Post
For instance the speed that RH mentions with 14/44 sprockets, (and standard wheels/tyres), you would achieve, according to this app, at 9250 rpm, which I would have thought was different to the actual revs that RH was actually doing
That's quite a big difference given the rev limiter is at 11k and I'm definitely hitting it (got it on video here)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmLpdGnpCqU

at 2.05 in

The Sat Nav said 121mph afterwards. I've been playing with that app you mentioned but that's suggesting a speed of over 140mph on that gearing and that clearly isn't right. Are you supposed to change the numbers in the boxes next to each gear, and if so how do you know what to put in there?
Old 07-10-13, 12:47 AM   #18
upandrunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Changing the final drive ratio (sprockets) isn't going to suddenly allow you to keep up with 600cc sports bikes around a circuit. They have 50% more power than you and that isn't something you are going to be able to get round easily.
Good point mate.

Thanks to all for your your comments.

Cheers.
Old 07-10-13, 08:02 AM   #19
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear sprocket size?

Gearing commander reckons 133.4mph at 10200rpm with 14/44.
Old 07-10-13, 12:45 PM   #20
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: Rear sprocket size?

Well I am genuinely confused then. I've just been out and pulled the sprocket cover off to double check and it's definitely running 14 front, 44 rear. I've even watched the video again and counted the gears to make sure I was in 6th (you never know!) and it's certainly hitting the limiter. We had been half expecting it to in practice because we considered changing the gearing, but there was only a couple of places on the 30 miles of stages where it was an issue so decided against it. Maybe the Sat Nav lies, but it didn't feel like 130+ so I'd be surprised if it was wrong. That only leaves rear tyre size, and it was a 160/60 Dunlop.

And why is this now in "Stuff Wanted"?