SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-07, 10:09 AM   #1
gbochan

Default Thinking about buying an SV650. Need opinions.

Hey guys,

I just joined the forum as I am looking to upgrade from my CB500. I love the idea of a v twin (had an old CX500 and have rented a Harley while in the states on holiday). The 650 sounds very appealing to me. I was looking through the forum and had a few questions about what I've read.

What is the front end knock that people have mentioned?
Is this the same as the Front plug misfiring problem?
How easy is it to fix the misfiring problem?
Where is it prone to rust?
Some people had complaints about “build quality”. What are these complaints? Is the frame badly welded? Do stock parts not fit very well?

How expensive is it to maintain? Consumables (chain, sprockets, tyres)?

What are some issues to look for when buying a used bike?

I would mostly use the bike as a commuter. How does the bike hold up to bad weather? Is it a year round bike?

How much for insurance?

What is the difference between curvy and pointy? Is this in reference to the faired and unfaired versions?

Thanks a lot,

Greg
Old 28-10-07, 10:27 AM   #2
hovis

Default Re: Thinking about buying an SV650. Need opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbochan View Post
Hey guys,

I just joined the forum as I am looking to upgrade from my CB500. I love the idea of a v twin (had an old CX500 and have rented a Harley while in the states on holiday). The 650 sounds very appealing to me. I was looking through the forum and had a few questions about what I've read.

What is the front end knock that people have mentioned?????
How easy is it to fix the misfiring problem?fenda extenda
Where is it prone to rust? the usual places
Some people had complaints about “build quality”. What are these complaints? Is the frame badly welded? Do stock parts not fit very well?its a cheap budget bike, the brakes & susension show this

How expensive is it to maintain? Consumables (chain, sprockets, tyres)? fairly cheap

What are some issues to look for when buying a used bike?DO A SEARCH, THERE IS LOADS OF INFO ON THIS

I would mostly use the bike as a commuter. How does the bike hold up to bad weather? Is it a year round bike? pretty good, fit a fenda extenda
How much for insurance?cheap
What is the difference between curvy and pointy? Is this in reference to the faired and unfaired versions? curvy 1999-2003with carbs...... pointy 2004-2008 fuel injected

Thanks a lot,

Greg
HTH

I THINK THIS SAYS IT ALL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzwheel View Post
Hi and welcome
1. Look at the front forks are they corroded and chipped, This is pretty common on a high milleage SV thats been used in all weathers. Its a good indication of what the bikes been used for and also if the milleage is correct. i.e if the forks are chipped and manky but the milleage on the bike is low then start asking questions. Same goes for the handlebars and footpegs.
2. Have a look at the disks and pads. What condition are they in. SV's are known for the brakes sticking on if its not been looked after. Again this is especially relevant if its been used through winter and neglected.
3. Look at the chain and sprocket and the tyres. how much life do they have left in them, and slack worn chain with hooked teeth on the sprocket mean that its going to want changing soon.
3. Electrics, some people including me have had trouble with blown fuses caused by the wiring loom rubbing on the tank. So ask about that to.
4. If its a private sale, if you can get a sneaky peak in the owners garage, have a look for stuff like, paddock stands, a good set of tools, cleaning products, chain lube etc on the shelf, It'll give you an idea of how the current owner looks after the bike.
5. Sometimes if the bikes ridden in heavy rain water gets into the front spark plug hole and then it'll drop down onto one cylinder and run intermitantly between one two cylinders which isnt fun. A fenda extenda will sort this or some silicone grease on the front HT lead will also do the trick, have a search for the subject its been covered loads of times and its fairly common. Ask the owner if they have had trouble with the bike in the wet, its not a huge problem and its easy to sort.
Dont be put off by high milleage as long as you can see that the servicing has been done, either by stamps in the service manual or receipts for parts used. A high milleage bike thats been ridden is better than a low milleage bike thats been stood for ages and has got all seized up.
Use things like worn tyres, chain and sprocket as bargaining tools to get the price down. Make sure you do a HPI check to make sure that theres no outstanding finance or the bike hasnt been involved in a accident at some point in its life.
Remember that non standard parts dont increase the value of the bike. So dont let the bling bits distract you from the of the bike, better IMHO to buy a mint standard bike than sh*tter with loads of aftermarket parts bolted onto it. Things like a hugger, a scotoiler are sensible modifications though as is a race can but only if you like the sound / look of it.
If you're not sure, Walk away from the bike, or take somebody with you who does know what they are looking at. Make sure you look at plenty of bikes and never buy the first one you look at.

As for price, it really depends on what you are looking for. 99 - 02 year model bikes tend to be in the £1500 to £2500 mark and 03 Onwards Bike look like they go from anywhere around £2750 upwards.

Depends what you want and how much you want to spend.

HTH

Last edited by hovis; 28-10-07 at 10:45 AM.
Old 28-10-07, 10:38 AM   #3
kwak zzr

What is the front end knock that people have mentioned?

if this is what i think you mean its a knock when the front wheel hits a pot hole or simalair in the road as if the forks bottom out, ive never had this problem.

no, the front plug misfire is when riding in heavy rain and because the front mud guard is so short the front wheel throws water at the front plug.

How easy is it to fix the misfiring problem?

a fenda extenda fixes this and also maybe some silicone grease around the front plug cap.

Where is it prone to rust?

if you dont look after your sv all the fixings and fasteners will rust so will the exhaust pipes and bottom yolk, this is the same as many other bikes if you dont look after them.

Some people had complaints about “build quality”. What are these complaints? Is the frame badly welded? Do stock parts not fit very well?

the sv is a cheap bike so mr suzuki made it with cheap parts to keep the cost low, if you clean your bike regular and dry it off regular then this will keep rust at bay, the frame build quality is very good the actual bike is quite a good quality but its those horrid fastners and fixings that are of cheap quality.

How expensive is it to maintain? Consumables (chain, sprockets, tyres)?

the sv is a cheap bike to maintain and run thats why loads of ppl love them.

What are some issues to look for when buying a used bike?

service history, milage, tyres, brakes, general clean condition.

I would mostly use the bike as a commuter. How does the bike hold up to bad weather? Is it a year round bike?

lots of ppl on here ride there bikes all year round and yes it will make a good commuter but if you dont look after the bike then it will look shabby in a matter of months, winter salt eats away at the nuts and bolts as you watch.

How much for insurance?

again cheap thats why they are great

What is the difference between curvy and pointy? Is this in reference to the faired and unfaired versions?

basicly the curvey has carbs and the pointy has fuel injection, the curvey was the original model up to 2003 then the pointy model took over from there, they are both great bikes just choose the one you like the look of best
Old 28-10-07, 07:10 PM   #4
Matt Prince

Smile Re: Thinking about buying an SV650. Need opinions.

Hi,
Just to say that I did the very same thing as had a CB500 for nearly three years. I decided to change after a thrash to Bournemouth from Southampton nearly parted my head from my body due to the lack of fairing - it was very windy!
I loved my CB500 - it is the perfect commuter bike. The SV 650s I have is a much better road bike though for going greater distances. I've been around Europe twice on it.I think about buying other bikes but then everytime I get on it I think that it does everything that I could ever ask.
I bought mine (Curvy 03 reg) new just as 'pointy' was coming in. I got 1.9k for the CB and bought the SV for 4k. The CB was a Y reg which I had also had from new.The SV has been outstandingly reliable to date - I've done 11k miles The biggest difference are the much better wind protection, better top end performance and low down get up and go. I commuted throughtout the winter on the CB which took quite a hammering from road salt etc. I haven't done this on the SV although do use it on occasion when dry now.
Think about what you use your bike for - if its just for commuting then the CB with its more upright position is best ( SV is ok with the bars). If you want a bike for more road use then the SV is for you and it will be fine for commuting too! I can see myself keeping the SV for some time - it really does do everything well enough.
If you are going to keep commuting what about keeping the CB and buying an SV for weekend use?
Good luck!
Old 29-10-07, 02:43 AM   #5
phil24_7
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbochan View Post
Hey guys,

What is the front end knock that people have mentioned?Cam chain tensioners or headstock bearings probably?
Is this the same as the Front plug misfiring problem?No
How easy is it to fix the misfiring problem?Really easy, silicone grease round the front plug or a fender extender though to be honest I haven't needed to do any of these and I've riden in all sorts of conditions.
Where is it prone to rust?The metal!!!
Some people had complaints about “build quality”. What are these complaints? Is the frame badly welded? Do stock parts not fit very well?Just general quality of bolts, plastics and finish I think, nothing too bad!

How expensive is it to maintain? Consumables (chain, sprockets, tyres)? Cheap as chips, second hand spares readily available, consumables are no more that for your CB I shouldn't imagine plus the engine is fairly robust

What are some issues to look for when buying a used bike?The same as buying any second hand vehicle. Check service history, HPI, view in daylight, go to sellers address, see if the seller has oil/tools etc. There's a few good guides on the net, google used motorcycle buying guide or similar. One on Bike trader springs to mind.

I would mostly use the bike as a commuter. How does the bike hold up to bad weather? Is it a year round bike?Keeping it clean, protected with AC50 or something similar and covered will help but must of the screws for up or rust quite easily, easy to fix by buying a bolt kit from chewy.

How much for insurance?Not alot more that the CB I shouldn't imagine, I pay 100 TPFT, age 28, first bike!

What is the difference between curvy and pointy? Is this in reference to the faired and unfaired versions?The older ghey virsions are curvey, the newer/quicker/better virsion is the pointy!! (Not alot of difference, curvy = carbs, pointy = Fuel Injected)

Thanks a lot,No problem

Greg
Hope that helps, last one is a bit sarcastic and will probably spark a riot.

I'm not here for a long time, I'm here for a good time!

Blue SV650 K3, GSX-R K5 front end, TL1000S clip-ons, lower fairings, seat cowl, gel seat, Pyramid undertray, R&G crash bungs, stainless steel bar ends, full titanium Akrapovic exhaust, Power Commander, clear rear light, flush mount front indys, mini rear indys, Autocom 300 duo intercom, Acumen cat 1 alarm and Micheline Pilot Power 2ct's.
phil24_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-07, 06:31 AM   #6
mister c
Mega Poster

The front end knock could be the floating discs. When you apply the brake there is a bit of a knock. If it's that you are thinking about, then dont worry about it.
I have ridden bikes for nearly 30 years and as road bikes go I would say the SV is probably the most fun & my favourite to ride.
Just buy it & enjoy
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-07, 11:21 PM   #7
petevtwin650

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister c View Post
I have ridden bikes for nearly 30 years and as road bikes go I would say the SV is probably the most fun & my favourite to ride.
Just buy it & enjoy
+1