SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

2009 Annual Rideout Discussions & info on the 2009 SV650.org's annual rideout

Old 03-08-09, 12:17 PM   #21
Quiff Wichard
Mega Poster

Default Re: AR09 Campsite Comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
This may be well be valid, the OP was asking what could be changed to get more people camping there. I've no idea what the going rate is (and it'll almost certainly be different up north) but if the feeling is that he's charging at the high end of what people are prepared to pay then this may be costing him business.

I've nowt to add bar the above though, the feild was well kept the attitude was spot on, the wash / bathroom facilities are an obvious candidate for improvement if he's looking to have bigger goups staying more often

The size of the field and the fact we weren't made to feel like we were a nucence was great though!

Jambo
thats what I was tryin to say but jambo done it more eloquently. .
Old 03-08-09, 12:45 PM   #22
keith_d
Mega Poster

The field itself was good, mown to the right length and slightly sloping so we didn't have puddles everywhere when it rained. I'd be tempted to put some hardcore down at the entrance to the field where it's starting to get a bit muddy.

If there aren't any, I'd consider adding a couple of power points and hard standings for caravans in the other field. It'll probably mean hiring a mini-digger for a day and buying a drum of armoured cable but it's a big plus for the caravanners to be able to hook up.

The subject of toilets and showers has already been discussed at length.

A nice big sign at the junction with the B1018 might collect some passing trade, but Southminster and Burnham aren't going to generate an awful lot of traffic in the first place. So, I'd check whether there are tourist information offices in Burnham and Maldon and advertise there if possible.

Just my thoughts,

Keith
keith_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 02:51 PM   #23
startrek.steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzyblonde View Post
A lot of campsites I've been to have a mini kitchen. That could be a good idea
I thought you werent going Lou?
Steve
Old 03-08-09, 03:47 PM   #24
hovis

toliets and showers were not the best, it did not bother me though,

as most have said just needs new showers and toliets.

Last edited by hovis; 03-08-09 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-08-09, 04:32 PM   #25
kellyjo

Landlord and his son were both really friendly, apparently the biggest bash they've had there was 800 folks from the chopper club and there was a bit of grief but the police were too scared so kept well away!!
He did say that plans were in the pipeline for the loo/shower facilities. Apart from that, if i wanted to stay with the kids then yes a play area, a washing up area and better lighting. But for our need, for one night, it was great
Old 03-08-09, 04:47 PM   #26
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

If I was to help him update the site and plan a marketing programme, the points I would make are these:-

1/At the corner of the field where the tap is currently positioned, I would put a single building encompassing seperate toilet/shower facilities, a washroom for pots and pans and a utility room with a washing machine & tumble dryer. I've found the use of a tumble dryer even on one night stays to be SOOOOO valuable In freezing conditions, you can warm your PJ's up, in wet conditions you can dry your gear quickly and a washroom would be priceless for those that bring their own stoves as many of us did.
These need not be expensive and £10k can buy you a timber block that will last years and years. If Jim wants details, PM me.

2/ Portable BBQ hire and charcoal etc available for sale on site.

3/ Central hardstanding with solar ground lights.....cheap and easy to do.

4/ Proper kids play area

5/ Dedicated dog at the end of one of the fields with a poo bin if he wants peeps to keep dogs on leads. We were incredibly impressed that our dogs could run around and have fun this weekend as we know they don't run off...but he may want to stipulate leads in the future. A poo bin for doggy nappy bags would be good though.

6/ Register the campsite at the Tourist info offices in the whole of the south east and on the relevant tourist websites.

7/ Poster distribution highlighting facilities and the GREAT atmosphere and service to targeted audiences.....ie/ bike showrooms, classic car, steam rally, hot rod organisations etc.

There's loads more, but that will do for this thread. I always write too much....lol
Old 03-08-09, 06:01 PM   #27
Spiderman
Where the hell am I?
Mega Poster

All the above s stuff GG, i mean all of them so far) so far involves building things and commiting money etc in the hope of gettign new customers.

This was metioned numerous times on the day but no one seesm to have posted it yet......If he's gonna offer people bacon rolls then there really needs to be more than 1 rasher of bacon. Its an easy one to fix.
AlpineCarStereo: you win ....... eeerrr ..... ummm ..... my undying support of you, the greatest Mod this forum has ever known. My Leige. davepreston: i bow to your modding godliness. vixis: He's this really cute Persian tea-boy, Im so not giving you his number :P
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 06:18 PM   #28
hovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave20046 View Post
We were discussing this, an average campsite (up north anyway) is about £4-£10 per pitch (not person) and the £10 ones usually have cracking facilities (+ usually somesort of tourist attraction near by). As has been said the price didn't match the facilities (unless we are missing something that was included - did it fund the bags and puks and slaves?). Showers and toilets need improving and they need more bogs.
thing is....... its not an avrage campsite, its more of a pub and a feild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post

This was metioned numerous times on the day but no one seesm to have posted it yet......If he's gonna offer people bacon rolls then there really needs to be more than 1 rasher of bacon. Its an easy one to fix.
and a bit of butter would'nt have gone a miss

i bet the owners made a mint this weekend
Old 03-08-09, 06:27 PM   #29
Messie
The Teacer
Mega Poster

I've been back to The H & H today to settle everything up. Jim was happy to have us and I told him what a star James, his son, was.
He understands fully about the showers and loos and now he has planning permission and local authority license he will do them all up properly.
I get your drift about the bacon sarnies, but c'mon, be realistic. What do you expect for £1.50 with as much tea and coffee as you want.
I don't think they made a mint out of us really; if they made some money I'm glad because they worked their socks of for us, and made us very welcome.
Jim said he's going to sign up to the site soon, so look out for him in the next few days.
Old 03-08-09, 07:08 PM   #30
Kuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messie View Post
I've been back to The H & H today to settle everything up. Jim was happy to have us and I told him what a star James, his son, was.
He understands fully about the showers and loos and now he has planning permission and local authority license he will do them all up properly.
I get your drift about the bacon sarnies, but c'mon, be realistic. What do you expect for £1.50 with as much tea and coffee as you want.
I don't think they made a mint out of us really; if they made some money I'm glad because they worked their socks of for us, and made us very welcome.
Jim said he's going to sign up to the site soon, so look out for him in the next few days.
I dont know about you messie but up north we can buy a packet of bacon with 6 baps/barms/muffins (whatever u call em) for about 2 quid!!!

Other than that i just didnt like the bogs, and there was a shower?

I just washed myself in the cold tap in the yard