SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 27-07-12, 10:31 PM   #1
Fallout
Mega Poster

Default Main Beam Culture

Is it just me, or has there been a shift in our road culture as to how to use the main beam? I'm specifically talking about cars.

I am sure when I started driving (just over 10 years ago), I would never be blinded by someone's main beam. Once in a blue moon someone would leave them on and I'd flash them to let them know, or they might just turn them off a bit late.

In recent years, it seems like it's become the norm to leave your main beam on until you see another car driver. So on corners or crests, when I see headlights coming round the corner and I flick my main beam off, the other drivers always leave them on. I'd say as much as 50% of the time, when a car is coming, I'll get a second or two of blinding light before they flick their lights down. Even when I flash my main beam on and off so they can see I'm coming, their lights will still be on when they come round the corner.

Anyone else spotted this, or is it just me? Is it a shift in culture towards less considerate/more retarded driving, or is it just me?
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-12, 10:41 PM   #2
ian505050

Default Re: Main Beam Culture

In every day life people are acting like ****s more and more, this is a fact. End of story.
ian505050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-12, 10:44 PM   #3
kiggles

yep i been putting up with it for a long time being i do alot of night riding. no one cares about anyone else so everyone leaves them on. there are a good few genuine drivers who do switch. but the amount of cars with badly adjusted headlights, and those **** that driver 4X4 with HID's in blind everyone any way.

the trick is do daylight riding. or get a 4X4.
Old 27-07-12, 10:46 PM   #4
Fallout
Mega Poster

Glad it's not just me. I'm thinking some sort of massive 8 trillion candle flood light attached to the fairing, aiming at drivers on the other side of the road could be handy. Flick it on when they are naughty. That and sidewinder missiles.
Fallout Breakbeat (My Music)
Fallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-12, 07:44 AM   #5
missyburd

Aye, I've noticed too and wondered if it was just me. I think car headlights are also a heck of a lot brighter than they ever used to be which doesn't help. If it's slightly damp out then it's really a pain, I get dazzled badly. It's crap when you think you're being courteous then the to$$ers don't return the favour. Feck 'em!
Old 28-07-12, 07:49 AM   #6
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

It's a concern to many of us and not just at night. Someone on the forum (I forget who) put up this link http://www.lightmare.org/
Old 28-07-12, 07:51 AM   #7
dizzyblonde
Da Cake Boss
Mega Poster

A lot of cars now have ultra modern bright bulbs, Audi for instance are buggers for it. Total rabbit in headlights for me, especially when its drizzling. Doednt matter if I'm on the bike or in the Landy, I get totally blinded!

Hovis 13.8.75-3.10.09 Reeder 20.7.88-21.3.12
dizzyblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-12, 08:35 AM   #8
metalangel

I hate driving home at night in the rain because of bright 'dipped' headlights. Those combined with the huge number of pedestrians in dark clothing who just wander into the road as the mood takes them makes driving especially fraught.

Doesn't help I have a low car, so sometimes one of those taller cars (like a 307) shines its bright lights right into the back window and I have to flip my mirror up.
Old 28-07-12, 09:00 AM   #9
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian505050 View Post
In every day life people are acting like ****s more and more, this is a fact. End of story.
This.
Old 28-07-12, 09:02 AM   #10
muzikill
Mega Poster

I thought the new mot rules were going to minimise this and ban cars which have these done non standard?
K3 Job c.v: Engine:remove/split/rebuild/refit. Replace:Gearbox,Fuel pump,Gaskets. Piston clean,rings. Overhaul:Throttle body,Injectors,Brakes,Forks. Remove/refit:Exhaust,Radiator,Oil cooler,Throttle,Air filter,Tank. Replace: Oil,Coolant,grease,brake hoses & bleed.
muzikill is offline   Reply With Quote