SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 28-10-12, 06:22 PM   #1
85jas

Default Debrix emulators in an '01 Hornet - anyone done it?

I'm curious if anyone on here has tinkered with the suspension on an old Hornet - my bro is tiring of his hornet (OK, everyone knows that happens anyway!) so we've been looking at options not involving him getting an SV Basically one puts in the cartridge forks from a cbr600f f4i, same brake, wheel & speedo mountings, sorted. However the stock forks are 41mm so what about good 'ole debrix emulators? Swap the nice, valuable ohlins progressive springs with the correct linear ones, get the right oil in, emulators and it should sweeten it up loads and cost much less.

Anyone done this? I couldn't find a single thread on the hornet's nest about emulators, but then I'm probably being a 'tard. It's been known...

Sorry for the H*nda thread
Old 28-10-12, 06:26 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Debrix emulators in an '01 Hornet - anyone done it??

Can't see why they wouldn't work, I sold a pair recently to someone other than an SV owner.

Unless you can fit CBR internals, which is another mod other SV owners have done

Or a front end swap? But then that's getting expensive
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-12, 06:50 PM   #3
85jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
Can't see why they wouldn't work, I sold a pair recently to someone other than an SV owner.

Unless you can fit CBR internals, which is another mod other SV owners have done

Or a front end swap? But then that's getting expensive
That's it, if the peg fits the hole... the emulators have gotta be worth a bash. The front end swap is too much for him to stretch to unfortunately, though would be great!

We were looking at fitting whole CBR forks (couple of hundred quid after a rebuild by the looks of it) but fitting the internals is an intriguing idea. I'll have a read on here! How are they adjusted though? Clearly the forks don't have any adjustment screws on the outside so won't mate up with the adjustment points on the internals...

This is going the be a forum-filled evening of ebay, beer, skype and beard stroking
Old 28-10-12, 07:49 PM   #4
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Don't see why not you might have to mod emulators or rods like you do with 2gen SV.

If you want to send me the forks I'd be happy to figure it out and do the work at a decent price.
Old 28-10-12, 07:59 PM   #5
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

They should work.
To my knowledge the stanchions, are very simialr to SV ones (Fazer 600 are the same too), the cartridge kit I've got fits early hornets, fazers and Curvies

YC is the man with Debrix emulators!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-12, 12:17 AM   #6
85jas

Default Re: Debrix emulators in an '01 Hornet - anyone done it?

Thank you for your kind offer YC, since I've already done the emulators in my SV I'll have a bash on the hornet! However this time I will use my new 12v impact driver to get the f**kin damping rod bolt out. Not the coveted broom handle method.

Andrew, what is this cartridge kit of which you speak? Intriguing...
Old 29-10-12, 05:09 PM   #7
Sid Squid
No, I don't lend tools.
Mega Poster

Depends on the fork. As Chris has suggested they may not fit straight in, the fact that they're outwardly the same size forks does not mean that the internals - where the emulator goes - will be identical.
The Pointy has the same size forks as the Curvy, but the emulators aren't a straight fit. It's possible they can be made to fit using a a bush perhaps, or some careful machining, but it's far from certain they'll fit straight in to your Hornet.
If an SV650 has a flat tyre in the forest and no-one is there to blow it up, how long will it be 'til someone posts that the reg/rec is duff and the world will end unless a CBR unit is fitted? A little bit of knowledge = a dangerous thing.

"a deathless anthem of nuclear-strength romantic angst"
Sid Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-12, 03:02 PM   #8
85jas

Hmmm. So the emulator may not seat properly on top of the damping rid, that's a fair point. I guess we'll have the forks off this weekend and have a look, see what can be seen. Thanks for the input guys, I'll discuss it with my bro and going to see what he thinks about his options. YC, you have PM!
Old 01-11-12, 06:01 PM   #9
SV650Racer

2nd gen SV650 racetech emmulators fit the early hornet have done a few for customers. If the debrix ones fit the 2nd generation SV650 then they should go in.
Old 08-11-12, 02:37 PM   #10
85jas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650Racer View Post
2nd gen SV650 racetech emmulators fit the early hornet have done a few for customers. If the debrix ones fit the 2nd generation SV650 then they should go in.
Good to know, thanks! I had the forks off last weekend and I see no reason why they won't fit, though some material may need to be removed from the seating surface of the emu... We're gonna have the ones out of my bike first and see if they seat properly. Might need to ask one of our resident machine-geniuses to make a spacer though.

Many thanks all, I'll add some pics to this post when we get round to doing it.

Last edited by 85jas; 08-11-12 at 02:40 PM.