SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 13-03-14, 09:17 PM   #61
RandyO

Default Re: Who has the highest mileage on their bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
Wait, a car tyre? As in one designed to go on a 4 wheeled vehicle? How does that even work?!
on snow & ice on the street, better than any motorcycle tire ever thought of working, in the summer,
so so, more effort to steer (but so would a motorcycle tire that size) real funky at low speeds but
soon as you get out of the parking lot, the difference is barely noticable

takes a bit of experimenting to get the right air pressure, to much, it feels like it looks, square, too soft
and it flexes too much and looses stability, its a radial tire and the carcass acts just like a radial bike
tire, sidewalls flex and bend

advantages: winter rubber compound doesn't need to warm up to have traction, sipes , High milage,
I've got over 35,000 miles and it still has 6mm of tread depth , nearly double the contact patch of a
bike tire, it floats over mud, better rear braking, Cost: $110 for a tire that lasts 50k vs bike tire that
costs nearly $200 for a tire that only last 6k (I didn't do it for the cost savings, it was a winter
experiment)

disadvantage: slightly heavier steering (imagine putting a 180/60 on a SV instead of a 160/60) , low
speed handling , off road the wider contact patch catches more imperfections and it can throw you
around a bit

Last edited by RandyO; 13-03-14 at 09:19 PM.
Old 13-03-14, 10:22 PM   #62
Nutsinatin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
How about highest mileage per year? You could have a 10 year old bike with 100k on it but that's only 10k per year. I have a 62 vstrom ex demo that only had 500 miles on it. Since I bought it in September I've put 6k on. My SV I had from jan 13 and broke it in august 13 it had 6k on the clock and 18k now.

Nothing spectacular but if like to see what others come up with.

The vstrom has been in the garage for 3(?) of those 6 months btw.

Well I managed to triple the mileage on my bike in a year, had 7000 miles on it when I bought it, had about 21000 miles when my new policy started. I changed jobs part way through the year so now have a 50 miles commute everyday, as I have no car and no public transport, and I also just like riding my bike, I expect to exceed 18000 miles this year, but my target is 20000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
in 2011 winter I experimented with the darkside, a 205/50-17 Gerneral Altimax Arctic car tire on back, it was successful beyond my wildest imagination,
This man deserves a medal, I was wondering how I could get around when it snows, (especially as I'll be on call out for work next year) might look at this for next winter if I see cheap rims pop up and snap them up for this purpose. (I have ridden the SV in several inches of snow with pr3's, which went better than expected but is not the best idea). I could actually stick them on my old CBF125 as my girlfriend doesn't ride it in winter, and with 11bhp you can't spin it up if you tried, it weighs 120kg and is pretty indestructible when it comes to crashing. I'm getting all excited, roll on winter!

Oh, I did manage 12000 miles on the CBF in my first year, and my commute was an eight minute walk!
Blue K9 Pointy #2 - Nearly at 120,000 miles!
Nutsinatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-14, 01:59 PM   #63
SvNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
on snow & ice on the street, better than any motorcycle tire ever thought of working, in the summer,
so so, more effort to steer (but so would a motorcycle tire that size) real funky at low speeds but
soon as you get out of the parking lot, the difference is barely noticable
Hats off to you mate, if you'd have told me that down the pub I'd have thought you'd had one too many!

Do you normally stick with a car tyre on the back during summer or do you change for a more conventional one?

Firstly, I'm impressed that you gave it a go, and even more impressed that it works!
Old 14-03-14, 05:28 PM   #64
Phoenix22

Bet you don't need to even use the stand with that tyre on!!
Old 15-03-14, 02:39 AM   #65
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvNewbie View Post
Hats off to you mate, if you'd have told me that down the pub I'd have thought you'd had one too many!

Do you normally stick with a car tyre on the back during summer or do you change for a more conventional one?

Firstly, I'm impressed that you gave it a go, and even more impressed that it works!
that was my original plan, to go back to a conventional bike tire during the other 3 seasons

As I said, when I first put it on, it was an experiment, I wasn't even sure it would fit between the swingarm or hold air pinched on to a 4 inch wide wheel when it was intended for a 5½" - 7½' wheel, the reason for a 205/50 is it replicates very close to the height of the stock 150/70 (only 2.5mm shorter)

I had my local dealer install it for me, when they first put it on, it still leaked a bit around the bead (not due to tire, but condition of wheel) we checked to make sure it fit between the swingarm and cleared the chain of my V-strom, barely by less than 1/8", then broke the bead down to put some bead seal on then reinflated, no leaks, at that time, my mechanic told me, if you want to swap in spring, get another wheel, we're not gonna take this off in spring and remount again next winter, infact it's likely I will have to destroy the tire getting it off.

So, I ran that tire for 3 whole years all 4 seasons, just this fall, I scored a spare wheel for reasonable cost on E-gay, so next spring, that's what I will do, spare wheel I got came with a nearly new Tourance

the one very bad thing about a car tire, all your suspension, bearings steering has to be up to snuff and tight, and deficiencies ad amplified, headshake can quickly turn into a tank slapper (like going thru wake of a large truck as your passing it) with the studded knobby in front I really had to limit speeds to less than 70, with regular street tire like a tourance, I can go as fast as the bike will go and have stability , V-strom 1000's are restricted in 5th and 6th gear, I can actually attain my top speed (nearly 140mph) in 4th, the only unrestricted gear
Old 15-03-14, 02:48 AM   #66
RandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix22 View Post
Bet you don't need to even use the stand with that tyre on!!
surprisingly, the sidewall flex I think causes it to fall over easier, when walking beside it pushing, it feels "tippier" than a bike tire

I get a lot of flack, people that have never tried it telling me it can't handle, your riding on the edge in a corner, it can't have as much contact patch, but I have learned, a radial tire it a radial tire, there is a slight difference in the bead design and flat tread cap, but the radial carcass works the same

check out the yellow wing is this video, running a car tire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-5Qu...ature=youtu.be
Old 15-03-14, 09:43 PM   #67
TEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-EUC View Post
How about highest mileage per year?.....
You did read Rictus's post above yours, he's still top

Oh and that Pan of mine, 327k at the Scottish Bike show this year
Old 16-03-14, 08:03 AM   #68
madnlooney

Got my gsxr in July with about 9k and just past 20 this morning

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk