SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 01-01-09, 06:01 PM   #1
Peaceful

Default New bike time soon!

Ok here is my predicament, i am going to get a new bike really soon and i wanted to get another V-Twin but the only one i was interested in was a KTM Superduke but unfortunatley that it too rich for my blood at the moment.

After having a few rides on my mates R6 i was thinking of going sporty not as much torque as a V-Twin but on the way to brighton i went up to 8 Revs and that thing moved like a bat outta hell and just would not stop going, and for me i found corners much easier.

So i was wondering does anyone have any experiences on the GSXR? and which cc for a good balance between speed and handing? btw i will keep my SV650 for commuting to work and uni and use the new bike on the weekends, track days & rideouts
Old 01-01-09, 06:14 PM   #2
Alpinestarhero

Default Re: New bike time soon!

My dad had a GSXR 600 (K1) and currently has a GSXR 750 (K6). Both are great bikes, and he has done touring (france, assen, germany) on both bikes, as well as sunday blasts and riding in town. No problems to speak of with either bikes, both very fast.
Old 01-01-09, 07:44 PM   #3
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Quote:
So i was wondering does anyone have any experiences on the GSXR? and which cc for a good balance between speed and handing?
Yes, ridden a few. They're all fast and they all handle well.
Personally I'd get an SRAD750 and not worry about riding it to work, as you won't get to know the bike if you don't. Buy something new and coddle it and you'll ride it like you coddle it and not enjoy it.
Old 02-01-09, 12:48 PM   #4
krhall

Wrong get a CBR600rr.....
Old 02-01-09, 12:52 PM   #5
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Yuck.
Old 02-01-09, 01:17 PM   #6
Daimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peaceful View Post
i went up to 8 Revs and that thing moved like a bat outta hell and just would not stop going, and for me i found corners much easier.

Party doesn't start until 10k on those things.

Very quick, but very smooth.

What I didn't like about it was by the time you got to the top end powerband in 2nd, your already at license loosing speeds.

Thats why twins and triples rock, as you get the surge of acceleration instantly, not have to wait a sec for it to wind up.

Whats your budget, makes all the difference. If you have £2k then somethign like a TL, but if you've got £24k then i'd say 1198
Old 02-01-09, 01:23 PM   #7
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

I've ridden a GSXR-600 and I own a GSXR-750, 750 has a nice dollop of midrange over the 600, not that the 600 doesnt have any, its just that you can ride the 750 in a more lazy way, i.e it'll pull on OK in 6th without needing to stir the gearbox, but if you do stir the gearbox you've got alot of power available as long as your in the right gear.

I've a K5-750, you can pick them up for reasonable money anywhere in the 3 - 4k range now. I still think its the best looking GSXR. But as for which model to get depends on your budget. Personally I'd say the 750 gives a nice balance between the rev happyness of a 600 and the torque and midrange that you get from a litre bike. So thats what I'd say you oughta go for.

I've done touring trips with luggage and fast road rides, its very flexable and it'll do anything. I've not done so, but from what I've read on the gixerjunkies.com forum its a very capable track bike as well.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-09, 08:24 PM   #8
Peaceful

oh my budget is about 8k including a few nice bits like clothes and stuff, ducatis are a bit extravagant for me coz i want a brand new bike my first bike was a Hyosung GT125R that i bought new (big mistake) second was a second hand SV650 K3 love it!! and now im open to all opinions until i finally choose.
Old 03-01-09, 11:28 AM   #9
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Why do you want a brand new bike?
Old 03-01-09, 01:25 PM   #10
Dave20046
Mega Poster

What about a zx6r?