SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 06-10-13, 04:09 PM   #11
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country
Default Re: Definition of a stationary vehicle

What you smashed up this time?

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 04:11 PM   #12
theboatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsmith View Post
What you smashed up this time?
Nothing, but good job I wasn't riding today in the end, as the plod might have liked me.... NOT!
Old 06-10-13, 04:18 PM   #13
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

All you needed was an open pipe and credit card size plate and you would have been target practice

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 06:43 PM   #14
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzo View Post
Unless your copper friend feels he should start a new career rewriting the world's dictionaries for a living, stationary means not moving, stopped and immobile. I wouldn't care less if it was about to move off, until it actually has it's stationary as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately there are still a great number of police officers who haven't got enough brain cells in their head to fill the gaps in their ears let alone between them, and they are the ones who usually make complete ar5es of themselves when putting across their interpretation of the written laws - Current members of the thin blue line who post to this forum excepted.
Much as it pains me to admit it Lozzo is, with the possible exception of the psychological analysis, about right. It is pretty much folklore amongst traffic officers that vehicles temporarily held up in traffic are not stationery, despite the obvious evidence to the contrary. I did once get so worked up over it that I actually sought the professional view of the force solicitor, yet even when armed with his support I couldn't convince them that stationery meant not moving. Those that did try and argue the point invariably tried to rely on another element of the exception, that it has to be "necessary" to cross the lines in order to pass a stationery vehicle, their point being that it isn't necessary to pass a vehicle that is only temporarily held up as it will move off in a moment. This was a few years ago now but as far as I am aware there still isn't any stated case on the issue but anybody who knows differently feel free to shout up.

Personally I would have no hesitation crossing a solid white line to filter past a marked Traffic car that was stationery in traffic, provided it was safe to do so. This point is fairly important, remember the lines are often there for a reason and if you did it over a blind brow or into a bend with no clear view then they would rightly be after you for careless/dangerous. I would suggest filtering to the front of the queue at a level crossing when the barriers are down and the 9:30 from Paddington is thundering past would be a safer bet. Take this advice on it's merits folks, deliberately provoking a traffic copper can be a bit fraught so be very sure of yourself first!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 06:53 PM   #15
BoltonSte
Mega Poster

Default Re: Definition of a stationary vehicle?

;Lozzo, he ain't a friend...that's something other people have.

RH I do appreciate the 'if safe'

Si, you were correct, although I wasn't arguing, I did have the cavest this is what traffic told me'

Everyone else, if you cross solids and get a tug, say "Red Herring said it was Ok if it's safe" ( but actually thanks for clearing it)
BoltonSte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 07:09 PM   #16
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoltonSte View Post

Everyone else, if you cross solids and get a tug, say "Red Herring said it was Ok if it's safe" ( but actually thanks for clearing it)
I wouldn't under any circumstance admit to knowing me, they would definitely find something on you then.

Incidentally, if they pull out and follow you in order to give you the tug, and you're feeling particularly brave, ask them under what authority they did so, especially if they are single crewed. There is no exception in law for a police car to cross a solid white line either, the only one they can try and use is the "following direction by a constable in uniform" which is a bit awkward if they are on their own...... Of course your case is helped considerably if they reply "It was necessary to pass the stationery vehicles....."
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-13, 07:52 PM   #17
theboatman

Cheers guys, I like to know where I stand!
Old 06-10-13, 11:36 PM   #18
Bibio
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Personally I would have no hesitation crossing a solid white line to filter past a marked Traffic car that was stationery in traffic, provided it was safe to do so. I would suggest filtering to the front of the queue at a level crossing when the barriers are down would be a safer bet.
i have done this exact thing and not an eyebrow was raised by the officers in the car.

stationary is a loose term. if on a mobile for instance i would expect to be in neutral and the handbrake on. if in a cue of traffic safe to say you can be in gear unless at the front of the cue.

crossing solid whites lines when there is a cue of very slow or stationary traffic with a clear view ahead is safe and i would say fine to do so.

anyway wont matter what you do these days if they think they can get a tug they will. you cant argue as officers only interpret the law and that is why we have judges to determine if you have in fact broken the law. yes it's a bit silly and in some circumstances common sense should prevail.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-13, 07:29 AM   #19
fenjer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboatman View Post
Cheers guys, I like to know where I stand!
Generally you stand still... which is kind of the same as stationary...

*grabs coat, leaves*
Old 07-10-13, 10:36 AM   #20
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Not to be confused with one of these - which is a stationery vehicle