SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 04-02-18, 07:04 PM   #1
Missb

Default Insuring a lowered bike

Been and put a deposit on my bike and now sorting out the insurance for next weekend. I would just like to point out I work in insurance so I understand all the requirements regarding disclosure, reading things properly!

Bennett’s have come up with a great all inclusive quote including legal and breakdown for around £270 (which I think is reasonable as I only passed my test in Dec - but I am over 40). I am going to add some tank bars which adds a little bit to the premium and I am looking to pay around £800 having some bespoke (Wilbers) shocks made and fitted which will be based on my height (5ft 1-andabit). This modification however takes the premium to £690. £690

Anyone had any experience of this - the bike is going to be far safer with the height adjusted - so feel this is a little crazy!
Old 04-02-18, 07:12 PM   #2
andy650

Default Re: Insuring a lowered bike

Normal brokers don't like mods at all, to the point of being silly.

Try Bikesure, they have a far more sensible approach to mods, especially if done on phone when you can talk about your exact situation.

When they ask what your cheapest quote so far is, lie.
andy650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 07:42 PM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

personally think you are going down the wrong route with Wilbers when you can do the work you need for much much less. they are only trying to make a sale. you dont need a new shock you just need the lowering links. its just 2 bolts to change the links then set the front end lower. i was not joking about ladystar boots either. you can take the above advice or not but as someone who is 5'0'' i do know a thing or two about lowering bikes.

as Andy said try Bikesure as its who i use and i have a heavily modified bike. they are great to deal with.

i would not touch Bennets with a barge pole. seriously they say one thing to get a sale then do a u turn. worst bike insurance company out there.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-18, 08:12 PM   #4
Toooldtodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post

as Andy said try Bikesure as its who i use and i have a heavily modified bike. they are great to deal with.

i would not touch Bennets with a barge pole. seriously they say one thing to get a sale then do a u turn. worst bike insurance company out there.
+1 for Bikesure. Have renewed with them for 3 years now. Always the cheapest and mods/accessories are no problem unless they are a performance item eg. turbo or some such. Plus if you are a MAG member they donate and offer a discount.
Old 05-02-18, 10:40 AM   #5
SVSte

I have mods on mine try LV all mods declared £300.24p fully Comp.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk