SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-04-19, 09:03 AM   #11
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: not another chain lube thread...

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/mot...ent_prod/29605

Giving this Wurth dry lube a try, good reviews and got good write up in MCN. Wynns clearlube was OK but it did tend to fling a bit...

I used to live next door to a lubrication engineer and they tended to recommend dry lube ( dry molybdenum disulphide ) on chains used in dirty and aggressive environments.

£10 for 500ml is pretty good, should last me maybe 2 years ...

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 29-04-19 at 09:30 AM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-19, 01:48 PM   #12
Talking Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
The other thing about ANY kind of chain lube is, it goes a lot further, gets where it needs to be better, and doesn't fling all over the bike if it's painted on with an old 1-inch brush, rather than sprayed / sploshed liberally all over.

Mark the chain with a spot of paint / Tippex, put bike on paddock stand, spray / pour about a tablespoon of the chain lube of your choice into the cap, dip the brush and tap off the excess, then apply to the inside face of the chain while spinning the wheel slowly by hand.

I do one pass on the sideplates nearest the tyre, another pass on the rollers, and another pass on the side plates away from the wheel, always starting at the marked spot on the chain, and stopping when it comes back around. Then a final few spins of the wheel with the brush across the width of the chain to spread any excess spots of lube around the length of the chain. Wipe the brush off with a rag as this procedure does remove grit etc from the chain.

I do that every 400 miles or so. It takes less time to do it than it did to type it out

You lost me at "paddock stand", sounds like far too much palaver, will stick with the Tutoro Auto.
Talking Heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-19, 09:01 PM   #13
Scittyf

I think the once I worked out it was cheaper when riding all year round 20k per annum that it was cheaper for me to just wear the chain out with little or no lube and pay for a new chain and sprockets. Than it was to keep buying various fancy lubes...
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-19, 11:39 AM   #14
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Cheaper still if you just lube it with old engine oil every few rides. And the chain lasts longer.
Old 07-05-19, 11:59 AM   #15
Scittyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Biggles View Post
Cheaper still if you just lube it with old engine oil every few rides. And the chain lasts longer.
I think that's what I resorted to in the end. Using what was left over from a 5 litre oil / filter change.

Although one could argue it might have been worth the investment in a scot oiler or equivalent.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote