SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 13-05-19, 07:23 PM   #1
disco

Default air filter AND

Hi

I lifted the tank today to see what the condition of my air filter is and its a very light grey(see photos) and I wondered if it needed changing or can I clean it, it is original I think as its like a felt material.

Also there is a grey sponge like filter (see photos) which is oily, I think that definitely needs replacing but what is it called so I can google it to find one.

This is the first time Ive serviced the bike myself, oil & filter, brake fluid, pads, chain, tightened levers etc plugs to follow, new tyres,

What have I missed?
disco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 07:33 PM   #2
disco

Default Re: air filter AND

here is a link to the photos

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AldhT8oUEIs0hHedMHMZ1t2eEUQC
Old 13-05-19, 08:38 PM   #3
Craig380
Mega Poster

You can't really clean the air filter, just replace it. The cheapest place for Suzi genuine filters is Robinsons Foundry. They have them on permanrnt offer.

The other coarse sponge just needs squeezing out in a rag to get most of the oil drops off it. It's there to catch oil mist from the engine breather hoses. No need to replace it.
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-19, 08:52 PM   #4
disco

Thumbs up Re: air filter AND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
You can't really clean the air filter, just replace it. The cheapest place for Suzi genuine filters is Robinsons Foundry. They have them on permanrnt offer.

The other coarse sponge just needs squeezing out in a rag to get most of the oil drops off it. It's there to catch oil mist from the engine breather hoses. No need to replace it.
Thanks Craig380 - Clear and concise answer and a good tip about the foundry. Thanks
Old 16-05-19, 02:55 PM   #5
Surfjayce

everything Craig said is spot on, however there are other options, upgrades for instance, if you decide to upgrade your air filter to a serviceable item then K&N do a good filter and service kit meaning you get a decent upgrade right off and down the line you can just service it and replenish without having to replace.
Surfjayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-19, 07:42 PM   #6
disco

Thanks, I bought the original filter from the foundry, really friendly service and prompt delivery.