SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 30-12-16, 05:18 PM   #31
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

I've got those side fairing stays, but at the moment no way to attach them to the bike without those bits of ally. There should be a bracket on the frame that they attach to but mine just aren't there.

What 400 are you looking at?

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-16, 08:20 PM   #32
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Could be worth pm'ing bibio to see if he could make something.

Thinking gsxr 400 and doing a bit of modernising to it

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-17, 09:21 PM   #33
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

With the cases painted and all the parts needed to rebuild the engine purchased the arrival of the rebuilt crank heralded the beginning of the process.

And the process started with a bare right hand case half and replacement main bearings sourced from Wemoto.

Along with seals from Yamaha and gearbox bearings from Simply Bearings selected by referencing the sizes stamped on the originals that I removed.

The process was repeated on the left hand side with all bearings hydraulically pressed in. I so pleased I invested in a press makes changing bearings so much easier, thoroughly recommend one if you're getting into this type of thing.

And on the outer side of the case, the seals.

Piston Broke in Bristol rebuilt the crank for me. New mains and a new rod, which apparently took a couple of attempts to locate the correct one as he wanted to find me an exact replacement with the correct oil passages in it. The green bag in the picture was just stopping the rod from rolling round in transport and had the small end bearing in it from the rod kit.

Next was to use my new tool, the crank puller. As the crank is in two half parts and pressed together with a set clearance you just can't hammer it into the main bearing but rather pull it through.

Basically the tool uses the thread on the alternator side to hook onto and then as you tighten the main bolt against the body the crank is drawn through. I probably haven't explained that one very well but it works. The only tough part was right at the end ensuring the crank was all the way in as it was getting tighter and then the crank was trying to spin. So holding that while using the spanner on the tool and exerting the required force while holding the crankcase would have been better to have been with an extra set of hands.

And finally the crank was installed.

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 02-01-17, 11:42 PM   #34
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

And now the modifications begin.

I was browsing eBay shortly after I bought the bike looking for interesting bits and one of the listings that caught my eye was for a close ratio gear box. The only problem with this was that I could find no information it. The part number 2AL-17400-1S-93 sure looks like a Yamaha number but it wasn't appearing on any part lists and even the seller couldn't furnish any more details. Even google was coming up blank. The only information I found was from the YSR50 forum which cast doubt on it.

However I'm a gambling man and negotiated with the seller, so didn't pay what was on the box as it had been sitting on their shelf for about 5 years or more. So I've either bought myself a brand new close ratio gearbox or a brand new gearbox.

Examination and comparison between the new and the old gear box shows that there are differences in the number of teeth on the cogs. If someone can explain what those differences are I'd be interested to know?

As well as the number of teeth there are some subtle differences in the cut of the gears and the shafts themselves. The bearings were new and supplied with kit but I used the ones that I sourced previously.

So with that I put them into the crank case. I say put, well, lets just say I want a word with the designer of the vertical split crank case and gear box designer as that was a pain. Getting the shafts in and lined up at the same time as the selectors and drum ensuring that they are all connecting where they should took much longer than it should. A couple of close attempts just resulted in the gears locking others just ended with selector forks slipping out of their slots. But perseverance eventually brought success.

And with that and some instant gasket the two halves were joined and the bolts tightened down. Getting the right hand side on was easy and the selection of gears was checked and all appeared to be there and running. But time will tell...

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 03-01-17, 08:17 AM   #35
maviczap
Mega Poster

Cool update
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 10:03 AM   #36
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Well done SH, it's coming along nicely. I'm enjoying this thread.
garynortheast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 01:04 PM   #37
jagryan85

Fascinating thread, the attention to detail makes it all worth while.

Regards

Ryan
Old 03-01-17, 09:03 PM   #38
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Now the hard part of getting the crank and gearbox in is over it should be plain sailing to get the rest of the engine together...

Bearing holders for the gearbox are held in with the addition of threadlock, and the gear selector shaft slid through the cases.

Over to the other side and the shaft is retained by a circlip. The plastic bolt at the top of the engine containing the stopper cam went on, and I also decided to install the coil plate but couldn't put the neutral switch in as I was missing its gasket. Not to worry it's easily accessible and on the outside of the engine so can be sorted later.

Back to the right hand side and the kickstart idle gear and kickstart assembly can go in. This is where I encountered my second problem. I could not get the spring to line up in the case. Its not easy to see from this angle but there is a recess in the case that the back of the spring clip needs to sit in and slide along as the kickstart is turned. After a lot of attempts at setting it, taking it apart and reassembling I eventually worked out what I was doing wrong. When I took the engine apart the rattle gun fired the kickstart out and when it landed it knocked the clip out of position. All I needed to do was to rotate it back round to the correct position. Simple.

Next was the primary drive and the outer clutch hub as I would need that anyway to lock the crank to tighten the primary drive nut.

After that it was the inner hub which is retained by a new spring washer which of course I didn't have. Remember at the beginning when I said I had all the parts needed, well that was a little overstatement. Thankfully Fowlers had the bits in stock so a trip down the M4 was on for me.

While I was in Fowlers I also picked up the only other outstanding part I needed, a gasket for the neutral switch, so that went in.

The inner hub was installed with the new spring washer along with a new set of EBC CK clutch plates and damper rubbers.

The pressure plate then went on with a new set of OEM springs.

And finally the alternator rotor.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
Old 03-01-17, 09:26 PM   #39
DomP

Impressive stuff!

I have to attempt an engine strip and rebuild one day or rather a full bike build. I've done it to a briggs and stratton mower engine but I'm not sure that counts.
DomP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-17, 09:47 PM   #40
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Yeah that counts, have you seen James May's The Reassembler, fascinates me that does.

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR