SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-05-19, 09:10 AM   #1
Scittyf

Default New member - SV400

Hello All,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Scott. Recently bought a grey import SV400. I've had a break from biking for about 6-7 years and into my mid 30's now. Before the break motorbikes were my main form of transport. Circa 20k a year.

I know what a lot of you might be thinking. Why an SV400 and not the UK official bike of the the SV650?

Well most SV650's I was looking at tended to be either dogs or out my price bracket for what I wanted to be comfortable to spend.
So an SV400 appeared locally and thought why not. It's in good condition for age and mileage and it was a cheap into back into biking.

Bit cheaper on fuel and a little bit cheaper on tax / insurance. I'm sure the 50 odd ponies it has will be enough for a while. If I do get bored I'm sure I can sell on or if I feel like getting my hands dirty a 650 conversion.

Thing is I'll be a weekend warrior anyway and with a 6 month old I doubt I'll get to spend much time on it. It's nice to have the option though.

So 2000, officially imported in 2004 SV400 with 30k on the clock. Curvy shape in a understated silver. Would have prefered a yellow but beggars can't be choosers.

Glad to be back in the fold.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 10:25 AM   #2
garynortheast
Mega Poster

Default Re: New member - SV400

Welcome along Scott. Doesn't matter whether it's a 400 or a 650, they're just bags of fun to ride.
garynortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 11:34 AM   #3
SV650rules
Mega Poster

A biker is a biker whatever they ride - it is a state of mind ! And riding a V twin ( not a H-D though ) is another state of mind....

welcome along.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 12:08 PM   #4
Craig380
Mega Poster

Hi and welcome. I don't think I've ever seen a 400 in the UK!
Craig380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-19, 01:27 PM   #5
Scittyf

I've had my fair share of parallel twins, Singles and inline 4's. Never a V twin though. Had a V4 mind.
They all have their pro's and con's though.

To be honest I can see why people wouldn't bother with them. In a time of grey imports and japanese 400cc rules the more inspiring bikes were things like VFR, RVF and a host of other trick 400's the SV was a bit well boring.

I mean one brake disk up front and a smaller engine than the 650. Not really required in the UK market. Think the 400cc rev's a bit more than the 650 down to the smaller capacity. looks like 11.5k vs 10.5k.

Still if it gets me out and wringing that little V engines neck until the valves pop out.
Old 04-05-19, 06:55 PM   #6
Scittyf

Just a bit of an update.
Took the bike out for a first ride. Thought this seems a bit gutless and struggled to review out past 8k with any real power. Lethargic is probably the word to best describe it.

Anyway having check through service history seemed like a restrictor had been fitted. Making it about 27hp all in.

Which would go some way to explaining the gutless engine. Basically I was short shifting to get back into peak torque.

Anyway thought I'll take the carbs apart to see if there were any rogue washers hindering the throttling.

Turns out the jet slide had holes in it. So effectively throttling the carbs. Now I don't have the original slides.

So I thought I'll tape over using electrical tape after cleaning the carbs. Least until I get some new slides.

All seems to work nicely and back up to 54hp. Rather than the awful 27hp. Reminded me of two stroke 125 days but without the exciting revs.

Anyway revs well. Twin engine is great fun. Chain sorted and oiled. Carbs cleaned and sync and she's running well. Even managed a clean. Even sounds better now through the intake.

Quite happy with the little 400. Feels slightly quicker than a cb500 I used to have. Although the specs say it probably isn't.
Old 04-05-19, 06:56 PM   #7
Scittyf

PS if anyone wants restrictor plates I'm happy to swap.
Old 06-05-19, 06:57 PM   #8
Scittyf

After finding the restrictor plates I set aside some time to overhaul the front brake.

I noted it wasn't feeling brilliant. Little soft and modulation a bit lacking. Previous owner appeared to have spent some money already on braided lines and when I got to the pads they clearly upgraded to Ebc hh pads.

So popped out the pistons. Wet and dry. New fluid and hey Preston brakes are top notch again.
Old 06-05-19, 08:12 PM   #9
Othen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scittyf View Post
After finding the restrictor plates I set aside some time to overhaul the front brake.

I noted it wasn't feeling brilliant. Little soft and modulation a bit lacking. Previous owner appeared to have spent some money already on braided lines and when I got to the pads they clearly upgraded to Ebc hh pads.

So popped out the pistons. Wet and dry. New fluid and hey Preston brakes are top notch again.

It never ceases to surprise me that people (here I mean the previous owner) will spend serious money on expensive upgrades before first spending just a few pounds to make sure the brakes are working as well as they were designed to. Good, sensible, cheap fix, well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-19, 08:55 PM   #10
Scittyf

I just thought I know sv650 brakes are on the budget end of biking. But I cant remember nissin calipers being that poor.

Turns out most the fluid was hygroscopic and turned into a jelly like substance in the caliper and bottom of the reservoir.

Cheap fixes as you say. Just goes to show preventative maintenence is better than waiting.

Thing is the front and rear braided hoses would have been a few quid same as Ebc pads. But all it needed was a fiver on fluid and some time.

Never even changed the seals they looked in good nick.