SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Ecosse For all the lads and lassies north of the border

Old 04-01-15, 08:54 PM   #1
buckstone

Default Upgrades .....

I asked for recommendations for wheel painters a week or two back (thanks for the replies) and now have a task list. Starting from the front backwards, as logical as I'll get, this is what needs done -

Fork lower repainting (black)
Wheel painting (black)
Tyres (Conti Road Attack - also black)
Fork Springs / Oil
Brake lines (prefer HEL)
New levers (Pazzo or Chinese ?)
Hugger (genuine Suzuki)
Rear Shock
Seat Cowl Mounting kit (black spacers)
End Can / Full system (not with jubilee clip right next to end can)

Tell me of any good companies / products or any to avoid. And where to source any of it at good prices !!!! If I've done this correctly there'll be a picture of the bike below. By the time the summer comes, it should be a whole lot better.

[/IMG]
buckstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-15, 10:41 PM   #2
munkygunn182

Default Re: Upgrades .....

I got the HEL braided kit from wemoto (I'll stick £1 in the swear tin) for a pretty decent price. Can't say there was any noticeable change in braking performance, that said, I was never a fast rider.

Rear shock in mine was from a ZX9R (I'm 90% sure) - was lovely from day one, firm with just enough give.
Old 05-01-15, 05:22 AM   #3
Bibio
Mega Poster

the big question is how long do you plan on keeping the bike?
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-15, 07:50 PM   #4
buckstone

If you'd asked me last month, I'd have said a few weeks. But I couldn't bring myself to put it up for sale, so I think I'll keep it for ever !!!!

I've had enough bikes to know its limitations, but it does pretty much all I need, while costing buttons to run. On that basis, I can take my time and do the jobs above as and when I have the time / cash.
Old 05-01-15, 08:09 PM   #5
Bibio
Mega Poster

in that case i can answer a few questions.

no there is not any full systems that are not split at the end can but that does not stop you chopping off the old bazooka from the sv and getting a can welded on, you would have to take the bike and the can to a stainless steel fabricator though to have it done.

dont bother with pazzo get the cheezers instead as they are just as good. but remember you bike is a naked and i think the front brake lever is different to the sport.

rear shock.. dont mess around and get a proper one like Nitron etc.etc

brake lines.. i prefer Venhill build a line as you dont have to take the banjo off when servicing the callipers and instead you just undo the union. they cost a fair bit more and require a bit of knowledge regarding the length though.

fork springs and oil.. depend on your weight and how you ride. if it were me i would weld the rebound holes up which will go a long way in helping the crap rebound that the SV has. or go the full hog and get emulators as well.

the rest is just cosmetic tat and only makes you feel better when you look at the bike, who cares.. its how the bike rides that's important. i would rather spend the money on tools and fluids for servicing things like the rear swingarm bearings and callipers along with a nice decent stand like an ABBA.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 10:31 AM   #6
Tiger 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
...only makes you feel better when you look at the bike, who cares..
Me.

I like to look at my bike, I like to feel better. Sometimes I get quite a funny feeling below the cockles of my heart, like you get before a sex wee, when I look at it parked up. She's a damned handsome machine.

Bikes...
Old 06-01-15, 11:09 AM   #7
The Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger 55 View Post
Me.

I like to look at my bike, I like to feel better. Sometimes I get quite a funny feeling below the cockles of my heart, like you get before a sex wee, when I look at it parked up. She's a damned handsome machine.

Bikes...
Old 06-01-15, 02:32 PM   #8
TamSV
Mega Poster

I've used the Chinese pazzo-like levers and they've been absolutely fine.

If you want someone very local to do the wheels and forks then Colin at Ayr Motorcycle Centre has arranged some powdercoating for me in the recent past. He sends them away to someone in Glasgow. The job was very good although it wasn't the cheapest. Sometimes you have to pay extra for extreme laziness and I like to support local business.

They'll charge you a few quid for taking the bearings out etc although I did that myself anyway. As I was getting tyres from them too they would actually have done that for free.

There's Carrick Alloys in Prestwick too. They seem to mainly do car wheels but I don't suppose bikes would be a problem. RMS Engineering in Prestwick can fabricate a custom exhaust and I think they do wheel powdercoating too. I've never used either personally.

I put Hagon progressive springs and oil in my first SV and it was a big improvement over standard. I've now got a curvy and a pointy both with GSXR front ends which are better again but the new springs and oil was a good enough improvement for everyday riding IMHO. I've not ridden one with linear springs and emulators but, in your position, I'd be tempted to go that route. Seems to be best bang for your buck at the front.

Agree with Bibs a Nitron shock would be a good bet for the rear - you can get a discount via the org too. I wouldn't go near the top of their range if it was me. I really don't think you need a gazillion clicks of rebound adjustment etc.

So far as huggers go, the cheapo fibreglass ebay specials can sometimes be a bit flimsy and brittle but the decent branded stuff from Powerbronze and the like I've always found to be plenty good enough and maybe a bit cheaper than OEM.

I think Mivv do some 3/4 systems for the SV which eliminates one of the jubilee clips from proceedings. I think the end can is still separate from the link pipe, but usually fitted with springs rather than a jubilee clip which you may find more aesthetically pleasing The Jubilee clips don't bother me TBH. If you do them up with the bolt on the inside it looks pretty tidy.

Did you used to park the bike at the train station in Ayr by any chance?
TamSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-15, 10:55 PM   #9
buckstone

Cheers for the ideas. Will have a look at the Nitrons to see how the range looks. I think i saw on another thread that Ron had got Chinese levers and thought they were great. That'll save a bit.

I also asked Colin about tpainting and he told me he sends stuff to Glasgow. Was thinking if that's the case I'd be as well doing it myself and cutting out the middle man.

As for the exhaust, I just want to get something that doesn't come in a million bits. I think there's an M4 system that might fit the bill. More looking around beckons.

And yeah, you've seen it in the Ayr station car park. I've started using the one on the other side of the track as it can go under cover - it was there today. Been cycling a fair bit though - got to lose some weight for a big ride I'm doing in May.
Old 11-01-15, 05:06 PM   #10
SIII
Mega Poster

The quick & easy way