SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 05-06-08, 01:14 PM   #1
66wilson

Default Curvy Shock / Ride Height?

I have recently bought a 2000 650s which I intend tracking (July 8th Brands Hatch) but I think it has been lowered as seat height is only about 740mm and according to the spec should be 800. Having read past threads I assumed that the dog-bones had just been changed for some longer ones and the forks had been slid through the yokes (about 10mm showing above the top yoke). However the dog-bones measure 115mm from hole centre to hole centre, which I believe is the stock length and have also just realised the forks don’t sit flush with the top yoke as stock. So can anyone suggest where my ride has gone? Have checked the spring isn’t wound right down. Have got my ABBA stand adapters down today so will be getting the shock out this weekend so would really appreciate someone giving me the correct shock spec so can compare, as a shorter spring is the last thing I can think of, so any idea’s greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 66wilson; 05-06-08 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-06-08, 04:10 PM   #2
haggis

Default Re: Curvy Shock / Ride Height Issue

A long shot but,...........

scooped out seatfoam?

Stock shock is 337mm eye-to-eye.
Old 05-06-08, 06:25 PM   #3
Dangerous Dave

10mm on the front is ok, good for steering! Do the dog bones have any writing stamped on them?
Old 06-06-08, 10:39 AM   #4
66wilson

Thanks for the shock info will measure up tomorrow. As for the dog-bones they are just plain metal/silver can't see any numbers but again will check tomorrow once the shock is out.

The seat foam might be reduced not the comfiest seat I've sat on, and looking at pictures not sure mine is as flat as it should be.

A key question here is where should seat height be measured from the front middle or rear of the seat, as there is quite a difference from back to front again maybe suggesting seat has been altered.
Old 06-06-08, 11:53 AM   #5
Dangerous Dave

Some images of a stock Curvy seat I found with Google, how does yours compare?

Old 07-06-08, 01:00 AM   #6
petevtwin650

I think the forks as standard are flush with the yoke, and standard dogbones have this stamped on em.

Old 07-06-08, 10:40 AM   #7
Dangerous Dave

Default Re: Curvy Shock / Ride Height?

Yeap, standard dog bones have '20F' stamped on them as Pete said above.

The forks tops are flush with the top yoke and only the fork cap should be above (about 3mm). Having the forks dropped 10mm is a common mod with the SV as it helps quicken up the steering however it isn't advisable to do with standard springs!

An old pic below with the OEM set up...

Last edited by Dangerous Dave; 29-07-08 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-06-08, 11:05 AM   #8
66wilson

Guy's

Huge thanks, and apologies, having removed the shock/linkage and measured accuartely the dog bones are longer, but in my defence the seat has also had a trim. I think rather than go to stock I might go straight for some shorter ones as it's going to be track bike, i think JHS still do some.

Having been part of various forums in the past I can honestly say I'm so grateful and impressed by this one, with the pictures and that you really went that bit extra so thanks again, I'm really looking forward to being part of the community!
Old 09-06-08, 12:11 PM   #9
Dangerous Dave

Yeap JHS do some, you can get good ones on Ebay too though which i have just fitted to the 650!

Oh... didn't notice before, welcome to the site....