SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 29-07-05, 04:05 PM   #1
Pervytwin

Default Ride height Issues

I'm hoping that after reading the F.A.Q's on this website about replacing the dogbone link to lower the ride height, will be the same for if I want to raise it and gain more ground clearance and hopefully more positive turn in.

My question to you, is that if you know of any reason why this cannot be done? I know most have chosen their steed for the fact it has a low seat height but I am 6ft and I have plenty of leg-room at a standstill.

I've already raised the ride height to within 1cm of final travel and with every turn I'm sure there's an improvement in the way my SVK2 handles the twisties, without too much unstability at higher velocity or under heavy braking.

If anyone has heard about someone doing something similar and faced any 'unforseens', please let me know.
Old 29-07-05, 06:38 PM   #2
northwind
Mega Poster

Yup, you can raise the rear easily with dogbones- though of course it also affects the linkage rates. I'm not clear what you mean by "raising the ride height to within 1cm of final travel", since without replacing parts there's no ride height adjustment on the SV- have you replaced the shock, or do you mean you've used preload adjustment to raise the rear (bad idea IMO)

Mine sits round about 2 inches higher at the rear than stock, I think- though I can't swear by that. That's with slightly shorter dogbones, and an Ohlins shock stretched to something like half of the maximum raise available. Used to be higher but I've got it lower til I get more strength back in my leg for parking. It definately makes a difference, although I suspect you can go too far- with the rear at the highest I've had it, and the front dropped 10mm, it actually because quite tricky to keep a clean line as the bike changes direction so easily- not exactly unstable, just responsive to the point of twitchiness.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 11:31 AM   #3
johnnyrod
Mega Poster

I have the JHS dogbones plus Ohlins shock at full ride height, turn in is much better, don't think I've overdone it as it doesn't tuck under. Recommended!
johnnyrod is offline   Reply With Quote