SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

SV Talk, Tuning & Tweaking Discussion and chat on all topics and technical stuff related to the SV650 and SV1000
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 02-07-06, 09:07 PM   #1
sdusk

Default GSXR600 brake adaptor plates - first impressions

I have been very disappointed in the front brakes that Suzuki decided to put on the SV650. My solution was to buy a set of K2 GSXR600 brakes and the adaptor plates from highspeedassault. I put them on this weekend, and even though I probably need to bleed the brakes again to get rid of the last bit of air, the first impressions are positive. Multiple stops in quick succession from high speeds no longer cause any fade, the deceleration is completely linear, and I can use two fingers instead of four on the lever. The powder coated adaptor plates are very well made and fit perfectly.

Now for the critisism. The kit comes with stainless steel cap head bolts. I am not convinced that they are up to the job in the same way as the original steel bolts are, and I will be looking to replace them sooner rather than later. Stainless steel is good for corrosion resistance, but not so good when it comes to high heat and shearing loads.

The original fears I had about the brakes being over-sensitive with this mod have proven to be not warranted at all.
Old 02-07-06, 09:21 PM   #2
BILLY

You might find that the brakes will overwhelm the suspension under very hard braking!!!!
Old 02-07-06, 09:30 PM   #3
sdusk

Billy, that was another of my concerns, but it didn't turn out that way at all. Keep in mind that with the original brakes you can do stoppies already, and in fact someone I know completely flipped their bike so that it landed on the pillion grab handle - using the original brakes, so it is not the outright power that has changed - it is the complete fade resistance, and improved feel. Also I have racetech springs/cartridge emulators/20w oil, so no probs there.
Old 02-07-06, 09:35 PM   #4
BILLY

Just a thought I'm going the SRAD 750 front end conversion to give me a better set up
Old 03-07-06, 09:22 AM   #5
sdusk

Billy, that is a good way to go for sure, but I chose not to because even the SRAD front end is going to need aftermarket springs and gold valves to be better than my current set up.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the plates do not interfere with the speedo drive on my K5, and that if you have the OEM brake lines then they will not reach on the right hand side with the brake line retaining bracket in its original place. I cable tied it in place for the moment to stop them rubbing on the fender.
Old 03-07-06, 09:24 AM   #6
northwind
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdusk
Billy, that is a good way to go for sure, but I chose not to because even the SRAD front end is going to need aftermarket springs and gold valves to be better than my current set up.
If you're big enough, then yep, you'd need new springs. But the Showa cartridges as standard are better than cartridge emulators. A heavy person might be out of the adjustment ranges though.
But we're oh so easily swayed"
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 09:54 AM   #7
lukemillar
Mega Poster

If you can - post a couple of pics!
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-06, 07:47 AM   #8
Flamin_Squirrel

I take it this means the SV master cylinder is ok to use, or did you replace that too?
Old 04-07-06, 08:26 AM   #9
sdusk

Flamin_Squirrel, AFAIK they are the same as the gixxer master cylinder. Regardless, it certainly doesn't seem defficient in any way.
Old 04-07-06, 08:36 AM   #10
jonboy

I've only ever found the need to use two fingers on the front brake lever, and while they could obviously be better, honestly don't think the SV's brakes are as bad as everyone makes out.