SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Bikes - Talk & Issues Newsworthy and topical general biking and bike related issues. No crapola!
Need Help: Try Searching before posting

Old 18-06-10, 10:27 PM   #1
hongman

Default Mod2 23rd June

Few days to go and getting really nervous??

Haven't been on a bike since my mod1 around 2 weeks ago, and it feels like iv forgotten everything.

Quick, gimme some last minute "don't forget to do this" tips

I don't normally get THIS nervous about things, can't stop thinking bad things are gonna happen...
Old 18-06-10, 10:36 PM   #2
thulfi

Default Re: Mod2 23rd June

Well for starters, dont think bad things are gonna happen. You did mod1 which was the tricky bit, just enjoy the mod2.

I had too big a gap between mod1 and 2 and thought I'd forgotten how to ride as well, but it all comes back. Remember, nice tight clutch control, no reason to let it out quickly. Relax as well.

Also, the rider will get you to pull up. If you do, make sure you don't pull up too close to a car that's parked, otherwise you'll make pulling out a lot harder for yourself.

Don't worry about losing the examiner. I was riding by myself for a good amount of time at one point til he caught up - left him behind at a roundabout that only I could make

Enjoy it, look where you wanna go. If this instructor gives you a direction and you find yourself in the wrong lane, just keep going. Safety is key. They won't do you for going the wrong way.

Keep it safe and simple, you'll be fine. Remember your lifesavers!! Good luck mate

Last edited by thulfi; 18-06-10 at 10:37 PM.
Old 18-06-10, 10:46 PM   #3
hongman

Thanks

Quicky about losing the examiner actually.

When out on rides the instructor always said ride as if you are by yourself (i.e, gap for 1) and if we lose radio contact to pull up somewhere safe to wait for them to catch up.

Is it like this with Mod2, or do I keep riding?

Say I lose him at some lights, and before he catches up I'm at a T-Junction.

Being in the wrong lane actually worries me quite a bit becuase I dont know the test route area at all, lol. Normally (in the car) I'd correct it myself but being on a test means nerves/inexperience may not leave enough time for a proper safe correction (or I might just forget under pressure).
Old 18-06-10, 11:03 PM   #4
thulfi

Has whoever you've been learning with taken you around on the test route? If not though, no biggy, you've got a couple of days, why not head over to the test centre where you'll be getting examined, and have a drive around in your car, to get a feel of the roads in that area.

Likelihood is you'll get a bit of everything if its around, ie 30 zones, some country and dual carriageway. I was taken on a test route the lesson before my exam, and the actual test turned out to be a different one. No matter though, just make sure your observations are on the ball and you'll be fine. The examiner will give you plenty of time to make the appropiate decision as to which lane to take so don't worry bout not knowing the roads.

Well when I lost my instructor, he kept telling me where to go, even after I'd lost him. He soon caught up and didn't get me to pull over, although I'm sure if you really lose him he'll probably tell you to. The radios they use for the test are a hundred times better than the shoddy ones I had in my training school. I think they have better range, and you dont get that god awful crackle in your ear that drives you nuts.

Also, another thing, if a pleasant cager gives you way by flashing his lights at you, don't take it. I was told this is a minor. Happened in my test, a car was approaching from the opposite lane as I had to turn right into a side road. He kept flashing me and flashing me. I literally shooked my head at him, as in 'drive on man'! He basically came to a stop for me, so I had to take the turn.

Will you be riding up to the test centre with your examiner?
Old 18-06-10, 11:25 PM   #5
hongman

No, never been on the test route before. I have been told about parts of it though, that I'll almost certainly go through a 20 zone and there are a few oddball roundabouts where the left lane is left turn only, and the right lane for everything else.

The radios we used at the training school had the range of about 2mm, they were crap. Just wondering what I should do in the event that I got so far ahead we lost radio contact.

Interesting note about drivers flashing headlights, will have to remember to query this one.

I have about 2 hours to ride to the test centre and practise the route on the day apparently. I will be riding up with my instructor. Test centre is about 30 mins away from the school iirc.
Old 18-06-10, 11:28 PM   #6
hongman

Oh, I was also told I may see groups of unmarked bikes and cars razzing it past me at stupid speeds on the test - apparently there is a police driving school round that way!
Old 18-06-10, 11:36 PM   #7
thulfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hongman View Post
I have about 2 hours to ride to the test centre and practise the route on the day apparently. I will be riding up with my instructor. Test centre is about 30 mins away from the school iirc.
sorted then. That will be plenty of time to get you back into the stride of things and a feel for the bike again. I had to follow my instructor to the test centre in my car, whilst he rode on the bike I was gonna test on. The clowns ran out of bikes on my test day, so the first feel I got after mod1 was pulling out infront of the examiner - now that was not a fun moment.
Old 18-06-10, 11:43 PM   #8
hongman

lol

I'm not normally an overly nervous person with tests, I'd say just the right amount to get me pysched but not enough to impair my ability too much.

But for some reason I feel like I'm over-fretting this Mod2, worse still the more I think about it the worse it gets.
Old 19-06-10, 06:49 AM   #9
yawny

i wouldnt worry about it too much mate. I didnt have any lessons and so trained myself on a 125. I failed MOD 1 for catching a cone but to be honest like other people have said on here before, MOD 2 was just like a ride out. I just forgot he was there. Lost him a couple of times but he soon caught up......when he couldnt catch me he just used that oppurtunity to get me to pull over at the side of the road....no biggy.

the best thing i think helped me was that i just did a commentry about my riding. So in other words i was talking to myself for pretty much 40 minutes. saying out loud what i was doing and as approaching any hazards i was saying what i was gonna do and then doing it.
Having done the advanced course in a car and the fact that the examiner seemed very keen on early observations i found it helped alot.
Old 19-06-10, 10:21 AM   #10
hongman

Cheers Yawny, that talking to myself don't seem like a bad idea for once!