SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Track Days Post up here about trackdays

Old 20-05-07, 02:05 AM   #21
gettin2dizzy

Default Re: Superbike School - Silverstone - 17th May

was this CSS? if so and you can be bothered i'd be interested in what you thought (although i think i'll do it anyway!)
Old 20-05-07, 08:24 AM   #22
cdrsimmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
was this CSS? if so and you can be bothered i'd be interested in what you thought (although i think i'll do it anyway!)
It was the CSS and we did it around the Stowe circuit at Silvertone. I speak for myself on this but i found it amazing how much about my riding technique i'd completely overlooked. Andy Ibbott is a great tutor and explains things so well. This is only made better by your coach who follows you around track afterwards checking that your applying what you've just been taught correctly.

I think the best way of describing the day is how good old Morpheus describes the Matrix... "Unfortunatly no one can be told what the Superbike School is, you have to see it for yourself!"

To put it into comparison, i went there as a nervous commuter and managed to scrape my toe sliders by the end of the day. Not an amazing stunt i know, but from my point of view it has increased my confidence in both myself and my bike by around 70%. Needless to say i'll be queing up for level 2 straight away...

Chris

Last edited by cdrsimmonds; 20-05-07 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Declared too much information ...
Old 20-05-07, 08:43 AM   #23
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsimmonds View Post
I don't think i missed anything out did i?
the first rule of supebike school is that you do not talk about superbike school
Old 20-05-07, 09:05 AM   #24
cdrsimmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by weazelz View Post
the first rule of supebike school is that you do not talk about superbike school
Must have missed out on that bit
Old 20-05-07, 02:38 PM   #25
gettin2dizzy

awesome. I fancy doing the 2 day course, although theres no mention of prices for it on the site though! does seem expensive considering how many people are there. Did you guys use your own bikes?
Old 20-05-07, 03:38 PM   #26
cdrsimmonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin2dizzy View Post
awesome. I fancy doing the 2 day course, although theres no mention of prices for it on the site though! does seem expensive considering how many people are there. Did you guys use your own bikes?
We all used are own bikes, the majority of the people there used their own bikes, it's one less thing to learn on the day (different bike). Weazelz posted the link to the photo's of the day here:

Quote:
pics up now (mostly):

me

luke

chris
Price wise, i was unaware of a two day course. My friend just did levels two and three over two days but the bookings were taken separatly. The two day camps are another option but they are very expensive, £1299 if memory serves. These are usually to other countries and don't include the cost of you and your bikes travel there and back, they have a contact if you need to arrange this though.
Old 20-05-07, 03:40 PM   #27
gettin2dizzy

ouch! think i'll take things one step at a time then. Thought that doing it on your own bike would be a better plan anyway. Whats the point in learning to ride a different type of bike well! if anyones doing one in july/august let me know
Old 20-05-07, 11:13 PM   #28
21QUEST
Mega Poster

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsimmonds View Post
Must have missed out on that bit
Really? Was that why you edited your post?

Interestingly most(virtually all) of the stuff you mentioned, I already practice. Difference I guess is, it has taken me longer than would have going to the school.

I'm sure I'll gain plenty more and improve as a rider if I attended the school though.

Ben
Blue, mate, having read a lot of your stuff I'd say 'in your head' is unknown territory for most of us
21QUEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-07, 07:50 AM   #29
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post

Interestingly most(virtually all) of the stuff you mentioned, I already practice. Difference I guess is, it has taken me longer than would have going to the school.

I'm sure I'll gain plenty more and improve as a rider if I attended the school though.

Ben
To be honest much of what was taught on level 1, wasn't a big surprise or anything I hadn't really heard of before. The main advantage, was being in an environment where you can practise the various drills and techniques, with instrustor feedback + the classroom explanations were superb to really make you understand, rather than reading it in a book.

Much of the stuff taught can be found on web, twist of the wrist etc. but going through it on a day long course really does help to improve your riding.
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-07, 07:52 AM   #30
weazelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21QUEST View Post
what happened to your post Chris? I was only kidding, I thought your post covered the day really well

ditto to what Luke said btw