SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 30-09-15, 07:01 PM   #11
Spank86

Default Re: Need some local knowledge please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
Just watch out for particularly daft donkeys near Beaulieu! No road sense at all.
That's not a very nice thing to say about the Guildford massive!
Old 30-09-15, 07:22 PM   #12
andrewsmith
Mega Poster

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, Just south of salad dodging country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
Thanks Ron.

TBH I've done the B7076 a few times before, it's boring as hell, and you sit there alongside the M74, in a 60 limit, wondering why your watching the traffic on the motorway zip past at 90mph.

So if I did use that route you posted, and I like the St Marys loch road. We'd jump on the M74 from Gretna to Moffat.

Do you think if we used the M74 to knock out that 30 miles in 20 minutes, would St Marys loch take any longer than the A7?

The other alternative of course if we do M74 to Moffat, is the A701 to Biggar, that's a great road. Carnwath to Whitburn to Linlithgow to Kincardine bridge is then an option too instead of rounding Edinburgh.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
The St Marys Road is normally quicker. Less traffic and more stunning.

I would be able to get you through the north to Gretna. Give me the bit from Preston'ish or Leeds'ish

sent with all the fury of a clogged drain!!

Every year we meet old friends, gain some new ones, lose old ones and you always remember them all.
“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.” Mahatma Gandhi
andrewsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-15, 07:33 PM   #13
Bibio
Mega Poster

i''l have a think then send you a link.

on the borders side i would do the A7 to selkirk then head over to peebles-carnwath then i can give you an easy way through avoiding the edin by-pass, we bit slower but much better.
Bibio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-15, 09:09 PM   #14
littleoldman2
Mega Poster

Location: Cramlington Northumberland where we are truely blessed

I'd dump the A66 as it's boring and the road from Temple Soweby to Langwathby is not good. Take the B6276 to Middleton followed by the B6277 to Alston. You have to miss out the wonderful Hartside, but overall it's a better route IMO.
Old 01-10-15, 10:19 AM   #15
SIII
Mega Poster

Talking Re: Need some local knowledge please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordward View Post
Thanks Ron.

TBH I've done the B7076 a few times before, it's boring as hell, and you sit there alongside the M74, in a 60 limit, wondering why your watching the traffic on the motorway zip past at 90mph.
Your doing it wrong !!! I usually sit at 80~85~90mph on there and watch the motorway traffic doing 70mph !!!!

Only time I've seen the boys in blue on there, is with the siren going and rushing to a job, cos it's quicker than the motorway when blocked by traffic !!!
Old 01-10-15, 10:32 AM   #16
Fordward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIII View Post
Your doing it wrong !!! I usually sit at 80~85~90mph on there and watch the motorway traffic doing 70mph !!!!

Only time I've seen the boys in blue on there, is with the siren going and rushing to a job, cos it's quicker than the motorway when blocked by traffic !!!

LOL! The Northern section is better, and if a Virgin Pendolino comes past at 125mph, I not sure if it's me hallucinating, but they always seem to have "race me" painted on the side, and a little boy sitting at the window giving me the middle finger.

One day near Beattock summit alongside said train, I rode straight into a cloud. Good visibility to zero visibility in an instant. Carry on straight, jump on the brakes, hope you don't run out of road or off the road, then change your underpants.
Old 01-10-15, 11:32 AM   #17
SIII
Mega Poster

It is classed as mandatory to race the train !!! LoL