SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Idle Banter For non SV and non bike related chat (and the odd bit of humour - but if any post isn't suitable it'll get deleted real quick).
There's also a "U" rating so please respect this. Newbies can also say "hello" here too.

Old 11-12-11, 11:30 PM   #1
Ed

Default Decking

Looks like early in the New Year I'm going to have quite a bit of time on my hands... so I want to build a garden deck. Has anyone built one, got any practical tips...

Site has a very gentle slope away from the house. The idea is that the deck will be flush to the back of the house so you just walk out and onto the deck without a step. Part of the deck will overlay an existing concrete patio, part will go over grass and soil. It'll be about 2,5m deep but with an island bit on one side that sticks out into the garden, big enough for table & chairs and a BBQ.

Am I mad in trying to do this myself? I've never built a deck before. The pre-made ones in Homebase look C&N (cheap and nasty), I looked at the so-called base things and every single one of them was warped. If someone who can put me right would like to come help, then I'll supply beer and a small honorarium...
Old 11-12-11, 11:53 PM   #2
Specialone

Default Re: Decking

Ed ive built tons of decks, when youre ready i can draw it up on cad for you with a cutting list so it will be easy.

The kits you buy are crap.

Main thing about my decks are, framework is at least 6x2 ( 16 inch centres) treated with inch and a quarter thick deck boards (also treated)

Never let it sit on the ground, always on 4x4 posts, concreted in the ground, other end bolted to the house.
Old 12-12-11, 08:03 AM   #3
tinpants
Ubique

With my professional landscaper head on I would usually advise people to avoid decking like the plague. Sure, it looks great for the first 6 months or so, but then it tends to go green and slimy. It can work out to be quite expensive to get decent boards - especially if you go for the ones with the built in anti-slip feature - and they are always maintenance heavy.

Decking in the frost? Think of Bambi on the frozen lake and you won't be far off!!

Having said that, if you are prepared to put the maintenance in and keep it looking fresh and clean then they are a great seating area and feel much warmer and inviting than a bog-standard patio. As far as where to get it all from, avoid getting a kit form one - they're utter crap. As has been offered by the nice Mr Rea, get a plan and a cutting list drawn up then go to a reputable timber supplier. Don't go to B&Q or Homebase.
Old 12-12-11, 08:17 AM   #4
-Ralph-

NO! Don't do it! Build yourself a patio instead, using brick or stone walls to get the right levels and section things off if needs be.

Once very few months you'll need to wash it down. The first autumn you'll walk out onto it on a wet day an promptly land on your rrssss as you slip on green matter that's started to grow on it. A couple of months later you'll land on your head as that green matter has frozen. Once all the small animals have decided it's a nice safe dark place to make a burrow, you'll forever be filling in the small holes they've dug around the edges to get underneath it and setting up rat traps. All the midges will decide underneath it it's a great place to live too, and one minute one summer evening you'll be sitting enjoying your BBQ sausages, the next you'll be swatting away a cloud of midges that decided it's evening time and rose up through the decking floor to say hello! After a couple of years you'll have to creosote it again, then every couple of years after that. Don't worry, you'll not have to creosote it for ever. After 5-10 years, it'll start to creak, wobble and generally fall apart, as the posts into the ground that underpin it start to rot.

Can you tell I have 8 year old raised decking at home and I'll never ever have it in my garden again?

Do it properly with solid stone based materials, and it'll last a lifetime and only need a jet washer pointed at it once every six months.

Queue a slating from everyone who has decking in their garden and thinks it's great (or just won't admit to themselves that it's not because it cost them so much to install).

Last edited by -Ralph-; 12-12-11 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-12-11, 08:47 AM   #5
Specialone

Decking if maintained is fine, I love mine.

It can be slippy but my wifes uncle uses a clear decking treatment on his that is anti slip and it does work in fairness.

I fitted his deck as well btw.

I oiled mine in the summer and it looked good and also stops the moss and slime building up as much.

There is pros and cons for patios as well.
Old 12-12-11, 08:48 AM   #6
Specialone

Btw, wrap the posts in 1200 DPM and they will outlast the deckboards.
Old 12-12-11, 08:33 PM   #7
svrich

If there is a slope you may have to check with planning to make sure that it doesn't come up too high. You are allowed to put a deck/patio down as long as it is within 12" of the original ground level. I put a patio down this Easter and the old biddy next door called the planning officer round to have a look as I had leveled out a slope and she complained that I had restricted her access to her back gate (we're in an end terrace and she has access through our garden). The officer asked for pictures of how it used to be and was satisfied that it was fine. Worth checking.
Old 12-12-11, 10:24 PM   #8
Specialone

All you do if it is too sloped is have a two tier deck.
Old 12-12-11, 10:29 PM   #9
Ed

What a day, not long got home....

Thank you everyone!!!! Col I don't want a pile of stone surfaces TBH, as it would look too much and not fit with open rural views. So yep I'm sold on decking and in 5 years time you can say 'ha!! told you so!!!' The kits looked so incredibly crap it was obvious that they were really very pricey firewood in disguise. Nope not too sloped and the whole fall would be no more than about 25 - 30cm, that on a total depth of about 4m - 4,5m at its longest. So I will be PMing Phil...

Last edited by Ed; 12-12-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 13-12-11, 11:56 AM   #10
Icanopit

Hi Ed, this year I laid down a 7mt x 4mt deck, I had a good deal from http://www.edecks.co.uk very helpfull, also varying grades materials which helps and evrything under 1 site (idle me) with budget and/or quality considerations. Just one of many to look at, good delivery etc.