SV650.org - SV650 & Gladius 650 Forum

Soho Massive For the London based SV owners

Old 21-10-07, 11:27 AM   #1
Kinvig

Default Lydden Hill

Well, I had a wikkid time yesterday. Thanks to Jester for organising it in the first place!

By the end of the day I’d picked up loads (and not just gravel from the trap at Jester’s Folly – sorry, the Paddock Bend) & Jeez that was scary for a moment!

As most of you that were there yesterday will realise I had a bit of a struggle getting to grips with it all – esp in the fourth session.

A couple of things the instructor & some of the .org said which should’ve been obvious to me – but weren’t:
  • Pick your braking points and be consistent – if you feel you are braking a bit early then try to brake a little later next time around.
  • Don’t follow other riders around the track, pick out the racing line & follow it (if you follow another racer you may end up in the gravel)
  • When you’re entering the corner don’t look at where you’re going – look at where you want to be coming out of the corner
  • It’s not a race, you’re there to have fun & learn loads – so forget about that restricted, yellow curvy that has just lapped you (twice *sheesh*). Concentrate on your race, no-one else’s.
  • The key to cornering is to go in slow & come out fast. Initially I was going in too hot & braking sharp – couple that with rapid gear changes & my back wheel was flicking all over the place.
The instructor had some good nuggets of information about where best to be on the track going into/out of corners – a useful one was to aim for the dead centre of an oil patch coming out of the Devils Elbow as there was a sweet spot on the track around there. (Must remember to find the instructor at future trackdays & grill him/her for knowledge!)

Also, speaking to others on the .org about the best gear to be in going into each corner – the general consensus was that all corners were best tackled in second gear.

The key is to the track day is to be smooth & consistent.

Pearl of wisdom of the day for me was from Sid Squid, the general gist being, “You’re doing alright…..go faster”

Last edited by Kinvig; 21-10-07 at 11:30 AM.
Old 21-10-07, 11:56 AM   #2
chris8886
Mega Poster

Default Re: Lydden Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinvig View Post
Well, I had a wikkid time yesterday. Thanks to Jester for organising it in the first place!
  • It’s not a race, you’re there to have fun & learn loads – so forget about that restricted, yellow curvy that has just lapped you (twice *sheesh*). Concentrate on your race, no-one else’s.
here, here. my thanks also to jester for the organisation etc etc and also to devil biccy for the lead there and home again!!

sorry kinvig, you had the last laugh in the end though when i binned me fookin bike!! i am soooo gutted!! but still had an absolutely amazing day!!
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-07, 12:00 PM   #3
Flamin_Squirrel

D'oh! Hope the damage wasn't bad?
Old 21-10-07, 12:12 PM   #4
chris8886
Mega Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Squirrel View Post
D'oh! Hope the damage wasn't bad?
it could've been much worse than it was, the crash bungs peeps helped/fitted for me at soho a couple of weeks ago did their job! the exhaust and hanger are buggered, front brake lever slightly bent (but still very useable and not noticeable unless you ride it), right footpeg and brake lever buggered, right front indicator gone and a largeish scratch on the rear end right side
Daytona 675: Arrow can (with a baffle that's gone missing in action....), quickshifter, shorty levers, custom paintjob
chris8886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-07, 11:17 PM   #5
Jester666

Glad you all enjoyed it (apart from the bike/tarmac interfaces/lunched engine).

High Points:

1. Seeing the track day virgins faces after the first session! HUGE smiles!
2. Paul (Lucky) trying to explain why it took so long to get past Chris8886 despite having more power and torque!! Good on ya Chris!
3. Dan muscling the huge Trumpet all over the track and leaving smoke screens at Paddock!
4. Sam & James turning up with all the tools we needed.
5. Everyone clubbing together to fix Bears bike. I love this forum!!
6. Bear still laughing despite his off!
7. Everyone getting faster throughout the day. Yes, that includes you Kinvig!
8. Bears comment to me after one particularly fast session... "F**k me! You're not slow are you!" Made me feel good anyway!
9. Doing what I believe to be a (just) sub 60sec lap!
10. Surviving the Paddock bend gravel trap...............TWICE!

Low Points:

1. The offs and engine killing.
2. Having to go home!

Thanks to:

1. All who went and made it such a fun day.
2. Sam, Mark and Sarah for the great photos.
3. Sir Squid for the sage advice that helped me out on Paddock Bend.
4. Sarah for riding like a loony on the way home!! We went so fast my crash bung fell off!!
5. Everyone who helped out Bear, Sudoxe, F-Squirrel and Chris8886.

Lets do it again soon!!

Last edited by Jester666; 22-10-07 at 08:34 AM.